Why oh why?

Wendy C

Forums Enthusiast
Why is it that like kids dogs act so sweet with others than at home??? lol . Cooper had his wellness check up today part of which is to talk about the neutering in his future ( I covered his ears for that part). Coop turned 8 months yesterday and now weighs 27 pounds and is a very healthy guy expected to reach about 35 pounds.....yikes!! Unless things change we are looking at the end of December beginning of January for the “deed” to be done due to winter traveling after that. Question, the vet was talking about the Victorian collar not working well on Shelties because of the heavy neck and thin head.....she said there are lots of alternatives, anyone find something that worked well for their dog so I can start looking? The Vet told Cooper he was such a good boy and hubby and I looked at each other and laughed and laughed!


View media item 7128
 
We use a step-in harness for Toby that clasps on his back. It has a wide chest and goes around his elbows so I know he absolutely can't get out of it. It also has a double loop on the back for the leash so even if it does un-clip around his chest, the leash will hold the two ends together for a bit.

Toby is almost 5 months now and he is currently a little over 17lbs. We think he's going to get pretty big too!
 
We use a step-in harness for Toby that clasps on his back. It has a wide chest and goes around his elbows so I know he absolutely can't get out of it. It also has a double loop on the back for the leash so even if it does un-clip around his chest, the leash will hold the two ends together for a bit.

Toby is almost 5 months now and he is currently a little over 17lbs. We think he's going to get pretty big too!
We use a step-in harness for Toby that clasps on his back. It has a wide chest and goes around his elbows so I know he absolutely can't get out of it. It also has a double loop on the back for the leash so even if it does un-clip around his chest, the leash will hold the two ends together for a bit.

Toby is almost 5 months now and he is currently a little over 17lbs. We think he's going to get pretty big too!


Oops sorry I meant an Elizabethan Collar.....this is for when Cooper has his surgery hikerdog, so he doesn’t lick his stitches.
 
I've had good luck with the tube collar. I don't attach it to a collar, just slip it around the neck. My dogs don't mind it and even end up using it as a pillow. Link here.

If all else fails, I love these onesies for dogs. I've used them for various surgeries. They can be snapped in a variety of ways and are easy when the dog needs to go out.
 
SIGH my dogs are angels at other people's houses, as well! I second the inflatable tube collar. Brooke did not mind hers at all and did use it as a pillow. Those cones act as echo chambers and it's hard for them to eat or drink. Luckily my vet also injects lidocaine into the incision area so they don't seem to notice it.
 
I am also waiting until Dec as well for Liam. Go figure... he would have a total meltdown if he had an Elizabethan collar on!

I think I will try the tube. What size did you get Ann? I believe Liam is about 30lbs now.

Any thoughts on just doing the vasectomy route?
Pros-Cons? Don’t know if my vet will even offer that as an option. Just curious what others think.
 
I am also waiting until Dec as well for Liam. Go figure... he would have a total meltdown if he had an Elizabethan collar on!

I think I will try the tube. What size did you get Ann? I believe Liam is about 30lbs now.

Any thoughts on just doing the vasectomy route?
Pros-Cons? Don’t know if my vet will even offer that as an option. Just curious what others think.

I took a look at some of the tube type and they give neck measurements for sizes. My Vet never mentioned a Vasectomy.
 
when Jocu was done, he'd been great all day but when I showed up to pick him up and was talking to the vet before we left, he started licking so they gave me a cone. brought him in the house, put the collar on, went to let the other dogs out and when I turned around, no cone on the dog- cone is on the floor. I had panties left from when Callie had some issues so I put those on him and they worked great. he never bothered them and couldn't lick. so I did the same for Destin and we had no issues.....
 
Back
Top