Why oh why?

I think I will try the tube. What size did you get Ann? I believe Liam is about 30lbs now.

I got Medium in the tube collar. They're also pretty adjustable and remember that thick Sheltie ruff. It has to be tight enough to stay on without them slipping out. I remember posting the results of my trying the nice, soft cone on Checkers not too long ago.....Checkers, 1; Cone, 0
Chex vs. Cone.jpg
 
I used this with Brodie... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q6PKRP1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 we neutered early even though we had initially planned on waiting until after 1 year. He began marking outside on my patio doors. I forgave the first leg lifting indoors, but patience wore thin quickly when it repeated.

For the collar, it was a bit big on Brodie and we ordered the large, but that worked out well. When the flat collar was fed through the inside of the blow up collar, it could be tightened up pretty well, but that gave him room to finagle. He did chew through the plastic buckles fairly quickly. I used a stainless steel key ring in place of the buckles and small caribiner clips to fasten the blow up collar to his flat collar. (I always carry these with me in my vehicle, with him I use them to attach a raining collar to flat collar or harness to flat collar. They are quite handy things to have around!) We left it on - they are smart you know, and quick, and I would have had to be watching him all the time. So after taking it off a bit that first night feeling bad for him, we just left it on.

I actually think he liked it! It didn't fizz him at all, he ate fine, drank fine. He used it as a pillow and looked quite content with it. The HARDEST thing was keeping him quiet. He had SOOOOO much energy, and because he was 'older' (at 8 1/2 mos) and active, the vet wanted to make sure that he was 100% healed up so he had his stitches in a full 14 days. I admit to playing low key fetch with him a bit over a week into his recovery - he was going nuts. We had to keep the 2 dogs separated the entire time which was also very, very hard; one had to be in his kennel any time the other was out.

Best thing was that 3 or 4 days after neutering, he was 100% back to his old 'completely drain the tank in one episode' type of peeing. He sometimes lifts his leg, mainly around other dogs, but at home and around Kooper, he squats like a horse.
 
I am also waiting until Dec as well for Liam. Go figure... he would have a total meltdown if he had an Elizabethan collar on!

Any thoughts on just doing the vasectomy route?
Pros-Cons? Don’t know if my vet will even offer that as an option. Just curious what others think.

A quick comment on vasectomy - the downsides are it does nothing for stopping possible prostate cancer, or marking issues because the hormones are still there. Not sure vets even do it, but vet medicine has come a long way. I would think people neuter for behavioral/health reasons as much as not wanting reproduction.
 
I liked being able to put shorts or pants on both Piper and Finnie rather than using the cone. I just found the cone to be so awkward for them with eating and drinking. I love the idea on a onesie!
Finnie (and Piper) realized quickly that they couldn't lick and quickly stopped trying...by day 6 or 7 the shorts were off and they left it alone. They were happy and so was I!
 
Over the years I have seen so cute pictures of "boys" here at SN
where baby night-suits and body-stocking with long ore short legs have been used :wink2:
 
Back
Top