Why????

Thank you all so very much for your support!! I was just so upset when I got the news that she lost MORE teeth that I had to vent. I don't understand how people can disregard the dog's health just to make money.

I have had a couple of litters over the years, and I guess I would have been considered a "back yard breeder" due to not considering conformation etc....but I always had vet checkups, shots, and everything needed to insure the health of the bitch AND the puppies. I have even told the buyers that if they EVER decided they didn't want the dog to return it to me rather than take it to a shelter. The only reason I stopped was because I got too attached to the puppies and cried when they left, and I KNOW I would have wanted to keep one from the litter, so ALL of mine are spayed or neutered!!

Sable (aka Pee Wee) is the sweetest, most lovable dog I have ever owned, and I know she won't live her full life expectancy due to her body just being plain worn out, and it breaks my heart....:no:
 
I think, more than anything, it's how people view dogs. The people on the Forums view their dogs as beloved individuals to be treasured and protected, but there are many people out there who see dogs as livestock to be used and exploited. Some people think that horses are magnificent animals that deserve to be cared for into old age; some think that horses make fine steak. For some people, rabbits are members of the family; for others, they're hutch-animals destined for dinner. I happen to think that the slaughter of cattle (and any other farmed animal) is morally equivalent to the slaughter of dogs (and so I don't eat any meat); you may think differently.

I do think that the correct ethical answer is not to exploit dogs, a la puppymills, but I can see where some people wouldn't agree. For some people, dog = cow = horse = living being that I can use for profit until it is no longer useful.

Ann, here on the Forum, had a puppymill dog who (I believe) had a lot of trouble with teeth rotting out. (I could be misremembering all of this, and I apologize if I am!) Maybe she can chime in with some insight on care for your girl.

Tofu pup,You took the words right out of my mouth... Wow!
 
Back
Top