A Sheltie for Miley Cyrus?

All I can say is, Jess, you are a braver woman than I to visit her twitter page.:eek2:

It wasn't terrible, I've seen worse, I just wasn't expecting it. Her twitter cover picture, which is large and goes across the top of the page, was a picture of breasts (presumably hers) covered only by sequin stars. I was just like, "whoa" and scrolled down to look for tweets about shelties.

She may love animals, but she seems to have quite a few come and go, and die unexpectedly very young from accidents. I don't know if any are her fault, but I just keep wondering why she's having such a hard time keeping dogs alive.. and this is a gossip website of course.
http://defamer.gawker.com/the-sad-tale-of-miley-cyrus-and-her-dying-dogs-an-expl-1563055363
 
That could be true Trini, but I hate to see our beloved breed and some times
misunderstood breed become an photo op for her and for kids that like to copy her to get one just to have one because Miley does- you see that all the time with some of the stars.

Did not realize her family has shelties so hopefully she knows the breed.
 
It wasn't terrible, I've seen worse, I just wasn't expecting it. Her twitter cover picture, which is large and goes across the top of the page, was a picture of breasts (presumably hers) covered only by sequin stars. I was just like, "whoa" and scrolled down to look for tweets about shelties.

Oh good Lord! Yes that's just the kind of girl I want my young nieces listening too, NOT!:mad:
 
Of course she will - she has the money to hire the best dog minders there are! Anyway she does have a few other dogs so she's not new to being a dog owner, so it isn't a whim. I agree Trini, she's young and silly but she may still have a heart.

I agree with this too... my issue was not with her wanting and getting one but I would hate to see a lot people be like "Ooh look how cute!" Because let's face it, our little guys are pretty stinking cute... but then not bother reading up on the breed and instead head out to the local pet store for one... not train it, not know that there's a really good chance of loads of barking and not want to deal with any of that, then dumping the new pup in a shelter.
 
Personally, I think it is good. A sheltie will sweeten her life and she needs a little approval and unconditional love. Good puppy, go work your magic!
 
It's not going to turn into a Paris Hilton and chihuahua craze situation. As you know, shelties are not pocket size. Miley won't be bringing the puppy to red carpets and publicity events or carrying the dog around like an accessory.

Sure, she'll probably be photographed walking her dog in her neighborhood or on set, but so is every other celebrity in NYC and Hollywood. People aren't running out and mass buying French Bulldogs every time Hugh Jackman is photographed with his dog or an Aussie every time Amanda Seyfried jogs with her dog or posts photos on instagram.

Sounds like the puppy is from a reputable breeder, so I have faith the breeder made sure the puppy will be well taken cared of.

Also, like others have pointed out, many celebrities play "a role or a character" for their public image, but are very different behind closed doors. I don't think wearing revealing clothing (or no clothing :wink2:) and being open about your sexuality, defines what kind of pet-owner you are. :lol:
 
I wonder, if this wasn't Miley Cyrus or some other celebrity like her that's been in the news, would this be such an issue?
 
I think many young stars (and older ones too) have a private side that is very different and far more vulnerable than how they present themselves to the public. Although I am not remotely a fan of the public Miley, that doesn't automatically translate into her being a bad dog owner. For the little sheltie's sake and for Miley's too, I hope they find both companionship and joy in each other.

Trini
With zero judgement on her character the fact she is single and travels a lot due to her profession would make the choice questionable.
No kidding... Shelties are one dog that requires a special and dedicated owner... the results of not having one would be devastating for the breed!:gaah

Their sensitive nature, need to be with their caring owners, grooming requirements, understanding of their need to herd and bark, health issues make them a dog that not everyone could be responsible for.

I'm with you Barb!

It is NOT that I am against her having a sheltie - BUT ... all those copy cat people that want what she has... and would NOT be responsible owners...
Yep seems like a Sheltie is a poor choice with some other breeds being better for her.


But here is hoping I am wrong and she spoils the pup rotten :yes:
 
I wonder, if this wasn't Miley Cyrus or some other celebrity like her that's been in the news, would this be such an issue?
My mind didn't go to, "oh Miley Cyrus, she dresses.. not very much", my mind went to, "oh Miley Cyrus, she seems to have trouble keeping her dogs alive."

She had a bulldog that accidentally killed her yorkie, so the bulldog was rehomed through a rescue. Her
Alaskan Klee Kai was killed in April by a coyote (rumored). Her mom bought her a little puppy after the death of the Klee Kai, which she also rehomed because it was too soon... I get it. Accidents happen, but it seems weird that her dogs keep dying. I will say that I am happy that she went to a reputable breeder for the Sheltie puppy. I hope she keeps this one and he lives and long and happy life with her. I will be very upset if I hear otherwise.
​
We probably wouldn't know about all her dogs or the new sheltie if she wasn't so active on social media. There are probably people out there that are terrible dog owners that end up with Shelties, but we never hear about it or get an opportunity to make a fuss because they aren't celebrities.​
 
Hi all! I am the breeder of this puppy, and this conversation was just brought to my attention. I understand many of you are questioning my decision to sell a puppy to Miley Cyrus. I would like to address these concerns directly as the person responsible for them. I totally stand by my decision to sell her a puppy and feel she is a truly outstanding home.

1) Extensive interviews WERE conducted prior to the sale. Hours’ worth, going both ways. Believe me, someone with resources like that was quite meticulous about the puppy she got, and at first, I was very hesitant to place my puppy in a home where I was worried about the image as well. She approached me saying she wanted a dog through a reputable, responsible breeder. As breeders, we should be celebrating that someone so high profile went this route. She could have gone to a pet store and picked one that day had she wanted, or to any rescue/shelter in the country. I even posted for opinions on FB as to selling to an A lister and what others thought was the good and the bad. I was satisfied with the responses I got.

2) The Cyrus’ are sheltie people, one of the references (that yes, I did check) came from a fellow exhibitor-breeder in Cali that I personally know, who are highly respected, and sold the family a sheltie some time back who I met when I dropped Emu off. This breeder had met the family and spoke highly of them as pet owners. Another reference was a well respected professional trainer who has worked with the family for over 20 years and trains all their dogs, and she has a STAFF at her house 24/7 that tends to her dogs. Emu will never be alone while the owner goes off to work, there’s a staff there to see to him. He has a pro trainer training him, canine companionship, what more could a breeder ask for in a home?

3) Miley knows exactly what she has, though she has never posted on the twitter feeds what breed Emu is. The news stories are coming from the twitter feeds she posted, not a press release. Many are judging the story based solely on the dailymail article. If you search for “Miley Cyrus Emu” You’ll see there are many more that got it RIGHT. Instead of judging the situation based on one article, do more thorough research and look at Miley’s twitter feed—where all this is actually coming from—yourself. Most of this article, after all, is quoting her twitter feed.

4) Speaking of things the news got wrong, Miley has never ever dumped any puppy at a shelter, nor given them away. If she had, I would have turned and walked as well. Again I know the story behind Moonie and the death of Floyd, and it is *nothing* like what these news outlets are making it seem. If I have learned anything from grazing the A-list, it is just how wrong the tabloids sometimes have things. I respect my clients’ privacy, so will not go further than that. Rest assured I was satisfied with the answers or would not have gone forward with the sale.

5) I personally delivered Emu from my arms into hers, and have posted the pictures on my facebook timeline of that meeting. I spoke with her at the time and met her family’s dogs. They are happy and VERY well treated and groomed, and well trained as well. They are everything anyone could ask in a pet home and then some!

6) I have made the case to her about coming out on the side of responsible breeders, and if we could get someone like her that would be some massive power in our court against the Animal Rights movement. She is so appealing to the younger 20-something crowd that supports PETA and HSUS that if we could get her on 'our side' publicly, that would be a huge boon to responsible breeders. We're not going to do that by tearing her down for her stage presence (Whether or not we like how she does her job is irrelevant to what sort of home she makes for her animals). We should be publicly, loudly, welcoming her into our fold as a very high profile pet home.

7) Finally, I understand why people can be hesitant that this might cause an uptick in irresponsible people wanting shelties “because Miley has one”. Unlike Dalmatians and breeds in the past where this has become problematic due to their nature as ‘not a good dog for first timers’, Shelties are a great breed for first timers and for children. I do not see that as much of a problem. As long as we as breeders keep our standards where they are, this means we have more selection for pet homes; more people will fall in love with shelties for being shelties. That sort of love lasts a lifetime. My first sheltie was from a backyard breeder and was bought by a neighbor who GAVE him to me for free without consulting the breeders at all, but look where it’s led me! This is not a problem for breeders but an opportunity. The more pet homes we have to choose from the better! This may lead more people to the sport, and if we can get Miley to come out about getting him from a breeder, it would help sway attention from “Bad, bad breeder." I’m all for that, how about you?

Food for thought. I stand by my decision and think this is only better for our breed and all of us who will be looking for pet homes for puppies soon. As for me, I’ll happily share that I am the breeder of Miley Cyrus’ puppy, and gratefully enjoy any uptick in applications that may get me. That’s more selection for homes for my pups.

~Renee Wiseman
Albion Shelties
Las Vegas, NV
 
Last edited:
Back
Top