Addison's Disease

this is one of those states when conventional medicine might not have an answer. I would suggest looking for someone who is familiar with acupuncture, herbals and homeopathy.
Human and furry bodies have wonderful self regulating, self healing ability which sometimes is just out of balance and need a little tune up...
 
I am very very happy that she doesn't have something as serious as Addison's, but I'm also a bit very frustrated as we're back to square one wondering why she has random bouts of diarrhea, and constantly asks to go outside to pee. :confused2:

Beginning to think that at least the peeing is behavioral...

How much time does she spend in her crate? Maybe she just doesn't realize she has bladder control. If she doesn't spend much time in her crate anymore, maybe you can crate her for 3-4 hours a day like a puppy, so she can re-learn that she can control her bladder?
 
I am very very happy that she doesn't have something as serious as Addison's, but I'm also a bit very frustrated as we're back to square one wondering why she has random bouts of diarrhea, and constantly asks to go outside to pee. :confused2:

Beginning to think that at least the peeing is behavioral...

As ridiculous as this name is, there's a homeopathic product called Leaks No More. You can find it online. I used it for Ivy in the days before her cancer was diagnosed and it did help her. It might help Lexi relearn control. You can also add some extra Vitamin C to her diet.

Pixie had recurring bouts of the runs for a few years from the colitis she got from coccidia. She did eventually grow out of it, with the right diet. Hopefully Lexi will too. I'm very glad to hear it's not Addisons!
 
Beginning to think that at least the peeing is behavioral...

I was waiting to see the results of this. Thank gosh it's not Addisons. <3

Is it possible she just ...forgot because of the UTIs? Luka did that for a while after having a kidney infection. He had a few accidents during the time he was ill, but then continued after. The vet suggested it was behavioral because everything was coming back fine. We sprayed an "OFF" kind of spray on the areas he'd marked and took up his water at night like we did when he was a puppy. He got treats every time he pottied outside, just like when he was a puppy.

Within a few days, he "relearned" and was fine.

Absolutely no accidents since then. Might be worth a try? Good luck!
 
Thanks for all the tips (and support) everyone! We certainly are glad it isn't Addison's. It was unlikely, but it's nice to have ruled that, and any infection, out.

The weird thing is that she never has accidents in the house. She is usually crated from 8-2 every day, so she definitely knows how to hold it.

But, she whines to go out a lot in the afternoons. Here's an example, we were at agility class last night from 7-9. We made sure she peed before we left. She peed (a tiny bit) when we got there. Then, she peed on the field around 7:45. It just seems odd that she goes SO often.

So that's 3 pees in about an hour.
 
I wouldnt discount her still not having developed complete bladder control. Tully at 3yrs can now hold on overnight, but she still piddles constantly at other times. If we drive for more than 20min I have to pull over because she whimpers to go to the toilet. Whenever we are out she piddles about a dozen times! I think she likes to keep her bladder empty. She also poops about 5 times a day - little poops rather than one big one.
 
Hi! I know this is a very old post, but I wanted to see if you ever figured out what was causing your pup’s frequent urination? We are currently experiencing similar issues with our 5 month old sheltie, Lido. She, similarly, has had multiple-alleged UTIs. She goes off of her antibiotics and the UTI symptoms reappear. But even when she’s not on antibiotics, she pees a lot. She was also tested for Addison’s disease (came back negative). They also did an ultrasound and everything looked normal. She is going to have a cystoscopy later this week so that might be revealing. We’re just wondering if anything more came of your experience. Thanks so much!


Thanks for all the tips (and support) everyone! We certainly are glad it isn't Addison's. It was unlikely, but it's nice to have ruled that, and any infection, out.

The weird thing is that she never has accidents in the house. She is usually crated from 8-2 every day, so she definitely knows how to hold it.

But, she whines to go out a lot in the afternoons. Here's an example, we were at agility class last night from 7-9. We made sure she peed before we left. She peed (a tiny bit) when we got there. Then, she peed on the field around 7:45. It just seems odd that she goes SO often.

So that's 3 pees in about an hour.
 
Hi! I know this is a very old post, but I wanted to see if you ever figured out what was causing your pup’s frequent urination? We are currently experiencing similar issues with our 5 month old sheltie, Lido. She, similarly, has had multiple-alleged UTIs. She goes off of her antibiotics and the UTI symptoms reappear. But even when she’s not on antibiotics, she pees a lot. She was also tested for Addison’s disease (came back negative). They also did an ultrasound and everything looked normal. She is going to have a cystoscopy later this week so that might be revealing. We’re just wondering if anything more came of your experience. Thanks so much!


My memory is awful as this was so long ago! I think they just found that she had a recessed vulva and a small bladder which was a bad combo. Knowing what I know now, I would have let her go through at least one heat but I didn’t.

I believe she also responded to different antibiotics than what was initially prescribed, so if you haven’t tried that it might help as well.

She basically just grew out of it!
 
My memory is awful as this was so long ago! I think they just found that she had a recessed vulva and a small bladder which was a bad combo. Knowing what I know now, I would have let her go through at least one heat but I didn’t.

I believe she also responded to different antibiotics than what was initially prescribed, so if you haven’t tried that it might help as well.

She basically just grew out of it!

Same with my girl. Small bladder, small kidneys and a recessed vulva. The 3 things that eventually helped her was a daily vitamin C pill (1/8 of 500mg), a pinch of d'mannose powder in each meal, and bottled water.
 
Back
Top