Ally is ill

Sharon7

Moderator
Oh my little Pipsqueak... she has had chronic pancreatitis for about 9 months, but stable on a lowfat diet. Well she seemed to get sick of the bland food about 10 days ago, so we tried adding a little broth or chicken to jazz it up, which worked for a little while. But I finally threw in the towel and took her to the vet. It's not good news.

Her pancrease lipase has TRIPLED, and her BUN is up to 145, creatinine 2.4. She also has a bladder infection, which my wonderful vet thinks may actually be causing the jump in her numbers.... in other words, an acute case of kidney problems rather than chronic. She has been on a very low dose prednisone for months due to her chronic itching. I was just going to wean her off it because her itch season is almost over. It suppresses the immune system and so may have contributed to her getting a UTI. Who knows?

The crazy thing is, she is holding her weight, walks 2 miles daily at a trot, chases her stick, etc. She is now 13 1/2. The next 3 days she's in the vet hospital on IVs to flush out her kidneys. Hopefully the antibiotics will knock out the infection, but they can be hard on an empty stomach, and if she won't eat.... what a perfect storm. My DH and I are both so upset and sad. We're not prepared to lose her yet. Any kind thoughts and prayers would be appreciated. :sadsmile:
 

Attachments

  • Ally.jpg
    Ally.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 50
Keeping both you and Ally in my prayers.

Please continue to update on how she's doing when you can. Thank you.

Note: Ally is very beautiful.
 
Oh no, Sharon! I'm so sorry to read about poor Ally. Trust that I am thinking of her and sending good thoughts!!
 
Oh, Sharon :no:...many prayers that Ally will rebound from this and have a lot more quality time with you. I am so sorry you are going through this with her...she is blessed to have such a loving Mom. :hugs

Trini
 
Keeping you and dear sweet little Ally in my thoughts and prayers!
What a cutie she is!

I know these attacks are so scary! My Laddie recently had an attack and was in intensive care with IV fluids for four days which helped him through.

Please keep us updated in her progress! :fl:hugs:fl
 
Prayers for sure.

I'm probably going to tell you more than you want to hear. But I have to tell you to be ready to let your darling go. 13.5 years is a good life for a Sheltie.

But only you will know when its time....its a battle to weigh your pups quality of life, vs. our personal need to keep them with us as long as possible, and feeling like you've done everything that you can.

But when the body starts to shut down, just like humans, you know......my hugs to you.

I was not there when my Bacca started going into seizures. He was only 6 years old, and I was sitting on a beach in the Dominican Republic. The vets told me they could keep him going, at least until I got back 5 days later, but they also said his chance of recovery was slim. I had to let him go.

And before that, my 12 year old Timber who suffered and died the same day with a tumour in his chest. One day he was fine, the next he was gone.

I don't know if this helps you are not. But I guess its just to let you know that many of us have been faced with these decisions. You need not feel guilty for deciding that you've done enough.... And if you honestly think that your pup can get a few more years of quality life, then go for it!

My best to you and your baby!
 
Sending you hugs and prayers for your beautiful girl, Sharon. I hope you have more time with her. :hugs
 
Oh Sharon, I am so sorry to hear of your little Ally's medical issues. Hospital's are no fun place to be, please know that you will both be in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing Ally a complete pain free and speedy recovery. :fl :hugs
 
Back
Top