Diarrhea: Go to vet or wait it out?

k9kreationz

Forums Celebrity
Miko has diarrhea and I have no clue what it is. Sorry to be graphic, but it's starting to look like tomato soup or a tomato based stew. Not bright red, but red enough for me to be concerned.

I noticed his poop was getting softer from this morning and he's gone about 5x today (all in the house, ugh!). Thankfully this last time, I caught him and basically took him to the kitchen (easier clean up). Although, now it's watery. Gross.

I was about to go to bed, but I think I'll be staying up since I don't want to clean up my carpet anymore. I tried to give him some Pepto (all I have), but he obviously does not like the smell and I don't know how to give him a liquid. Oh wait, maybe I can use a syringe thingy. I have nothing else right now. Granted, I guess I could go to the Walmart if I need to (the grocery store - it's open 24 hours).

The only thing that's "new" is that I started him on a new BalanceIt bottle. It's powdered vitamins since I home cook his food. He's never had that reaction to a new bottle. I started the new bottle maybe two days ago, but wouldn't you think it would have been more immediate?

Thoughts? Should I wait it out? Call or go to the vet?

Poor little guy is tuckered out.
Can he be any cuter?
Granted his front paws are facing the other direction, so if you could see that, you'd think he was very uncomfortable. LOL
 
Last edited:
Liquid diarrhea that is uncontrolled is something I would see the vet over if it's still happening after 24 hours of fasting.

If you can get some Slippery Elm Bark Powder into him, that seems to help a bit and won't cause any further damage.
 
Liquid diarrhea that is uncontrolled is something I would see the vet over if it's still happening after 24 hours of fasting.

If you can get some Slippery Elm Bark Powder into him, that seems to help a bit and won't cause any further damage.

Where would you find Slippery Elm Bark Powder? At a health/holistic type store? I have a big one near me that I can go to when it opens. It's barely 5am here.

I fed Miko at 7pm so I have awhile to wait for fasting. He's still pooping out some food, but it's starting to be completely liquid now. I'm still really concerned that it's like a burnt brick color. I would assume that means it's blood, because he doesn't eat anything red. Maybe I'll call the vet in the morning to ask about that. And let them know what I'm doing in case I need to bring him in on Friday.
 
Keep us posted - is he drinking water, he could be pretty dehydrated by now. I'd be tempted to take him to emergency. Very scary!
 
I would definitely see the vet. Uncontrolled diarrhea, especially with any trace of blood in it, can go downhill very fast. Please keep us posted. Sending Miko pats!
 
Crappola. I didn't even think about him being dehydrated. Unfortunately, he doesn't drink much. I'll check his gums and put the water bowl in the bathroom (I put him in there with a ton of potty pads, just saved me a huge clean up). It's becoming more reddish-brown.

Vet opens in an hour. Maybe I'll call the e-vet and ask them if they think I should come in, or wait until my regular vet gets in. At this point, it's been going on all night, not sure if another hour will matter.

I called the e-vet and asked them if I should bring him in. The woman I spoke to felt that since he's not vomiting and he's still alert, that I should wait until my vet opens. Why? Because they can put him on fluids, etc, but at 8am, I'd have to take him to my vet because they close. I left a message with my vet. I figure, if they get it at 8am, I can be there by 8:30am. Ugh. This sucks! I have no clue what it is.

Hopefully it's nothing kidney related and is just something upsetting his stomach. Poor thing.

I'm just glad that he's alert. But I can see he's starting to become stressed since I locked him in the bathroom (he's not lying down and sleeping). Time to go check on him. Sigh. I'll keep you posted.

Dammit. He's vomiting. Looks like there's still food in his stomach. Is it possible he has a blockage? I'm going to shower and head to the vet.
 
I would head over to your vet's office and be there when they first open. Sounds like he is ok for now but the sooner he is seen the better. He is a 15 year old with bloody D and V and needs fluids asap too. He definitely needs seen sooner than later. The vets might not like it but it is what you do if you want seen right away...
 
Back
Top