Dog Names....

BarbV

Forums Celebrity
I think there was already a thread on this so excuse me if I resurrect it.

As many of you know I'm bringing home a Male Sable Merle in about 1 month, so I need to start thinking about names

I'm partial to names that "mean" something, either about the breed, or the dog itself. Or about me....I'm a fantasty book reader nut

But I also like the names to be unique. No Toby's or Max's or Mackenzie's.

My Timber was named for a wolf, and because as a pup, he kept falling down and my children's kept calling "Timber......" Like a tree falling.n

My Bacca was Chewbacca (Chewie) originally but got renamed to Bacca....after the greek god of wine and frenzy....and frenzy was him. He was crazy! It just fit him until he got sick.

I've been thinking about wolf or fox themes. Thinking about Rennie (e.g. Renaurd) or Gwayren (to watch or guard)

Just wondering what names you considered when you brought home your pups
 
had names picked out way before the pups came home.....
Cranberry - born during Thanksgiving dinner- had to do it:winkgrin:
Jocu- an in joke for me and picked out way before Cranberry
Destin- seaside town in FL that goes with his registered name- Bi the Blue Sea

Dixie and Callie had names that they responded to when I brought them home so I kept them:yes:

I will recommend Khollie:biggrin2:
 
I, too, love wolf related names! Wolves are my favorite animals. (I'd say Shelties, but we all know that they'd be mortified if they thought they were considered animals. :wink2: )

The two names you have are neat! Very unique. Have you ever read the book Julie of the Wolves? The wolves in there have some really awesome names. I remember Amaroq and Kapu are two of the main wolves.

I picked out Emmy's name before I got her. I thought the name Clementine was unique and so pretty (it didn't hurt that a character in LOST has a daughter with that name or that Clementine is one of the main characters in the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind).

I also liked the name Emma because of Once Upon a Time. And then my mom suggested Emmy, because it was so cute sounding. And since I could shorten Clementine to Emmy (it's a stretch, I know), it just fit.

Sassafras and Rambina (her middle names) came a few days after I had her and discovered what a rascal she is. :eek2: Sassafras, is because she was so sassy, and Rambina because it's a female-sounding version of Rambo. :biggrin2:
 
Wolf names:

Caleb, dog in hebrew
Conan, hound or wolf in Irish
Connor, wolf lover ( Irish)
Faolan, little wolf (Irish)
Loup (Lou) - French for wolf
Lobo - Portugese
Lowell - old french
Randall or Randi - shield wolf in Anglo Saxon

For Foxes - I like Swift, or Jasper or Shadow
 
Wolf names:

Caleb, dog in hebrew
Conan, hound or wolf in Irish
Connor, wolf lover ( Irish)
Faolan, little wolf (Irish)
Loup (Lou) - French for wolf
Lobo - Portugese
Lowell - old french
Randall or Randi - shield wolf in Anglo Saxon

For Foxes - I like Swift, or Jasper or Shadow
!

I came across Faolan before. I like it but wondered ft it didn't seem to feminine (i.e imagine calling for Fae)

I actually like Shadow and Connor some too. Randi has an appeal too. Thanks for the ideas!
 
Molson & Dakota were on my list of boy names, and if I ever have a black dog or cat it will be called Java for sure.
 
Here's a list of Fox words I found:


Here's a small sampling of names from around the world:
  • Alepou (Greek)
  • Chu la (Choctaw Tribe, Native American)
  • Fuchs (German)
  • Hu (Chinese)
  • I na li (Cherokee Tribe, Native American - means 'Black Fox')
  • Kettu (Finnish)
  • Kitsune (Japanese)
  • Kiwaku (Pawnee Tribe, Native American - means 'White Fox')
  • Lis (Polish)
  • Lisa (Russian) - also Lis (male), Lisitza (female), Lisyonok (kit)
  • Lishka (Czech)
  • Llwynog (Welsh)
  • Mickel (Old Swedish - commonly 'Mickel Räv')
  • Punaturkki (Finnish slang - roughly, 'redfur')
  • Raposa (Brazilian Portuguese)
  • Räv (Swedish)
  • Rubah (Indonesian)
  • Renard (French)
  • Repolainen or Repo (Finnish common slang)
  • Roka (Hungarian)
  • Sionnach (Gaelic)
  • Ti li pe (Nez Perce Tribe, Native American)
  • Tod (British slang)
  • To ka la luta (Dakota Tribe, Native American - 'Red Fox')
  • Toka no (Assiniboin Tribe, Native American - 'Gray Fox')
  • Tso la (Creek Tribe, Native American)
  • Tsula (Cherokee Tribe, Native American)
  • Volpe (Italian)
  • Vos (Dutch)
  • Vulpes (Latin)
  • Waagoosh (Ojibwe Tribe, Native American)
  • Wa ko (Menomi Tribe, Native American - means 'Red Fox')
  • Wokwses (Abenaki Tribe, Native American)
  • Yowu (Korean)
  • Zorro (Spanish)
 
I've aways liked Dakota to. It not very Sheltie, but it abbrevieates very nice....Here Dak!
 
Back
Top