Dog Names....

Barb: Do you prefer to pick the call name and figure out the registered name based on that or the other way around? Or does that even matter?
 
Lots of good names on the posts, so I won't add anything.

Congrats on your pup. I am really happy you found him.
 
Congrats on your new puppy:). I won't suggest names since I like traditional names. My tri was Buddy and now my new baby sable boy is Bailey.

Bailey was going to be Dexter but when I saw him he didn't look tough enough to be S Dexter so Bailey it was!
 
Here's a list of Fox words I found:


Here's a small sampling of names from around the world:

[*]Fuchs (German)


by golly the german for fox could get one into trouble!


When I've named, I've often turned to baby name books. Registered names use some sort of cultural reference, with the call name often (but not always) coming out of that.
 
Oh dear -- I might not choose the German one, though I think my husband might have fun with that name and all the derivatives he could imagine.
 
Geri and Freki were the names of Wotan's two wolves. I named Dickens after my favorite author, but a good alternate name would have been Mr. Howell, since he's quite the howler once you get him started.
 
Repo? You could tell everyone you had your own personal repo man. :hide

When I was choosing names for Noah (comfort), Emma (comfort), and Liam (strong protector), I looked at the meaning of the name and what it would mean to me personally.
 
Oh dear -- I might not choose the German one, though I think my husband might have fun with that name and all the derivatives he could imagine.

If you watch the show Grimm, the fox-looking Wesen is called a Fuchsbau. It's pronounced like FOOKS-bow. I guess I never thought of the different ways you could spin that word lol.
 
When I name dogs, it's kind of just whatever I'm into at the time. :lol: Honey got her name because my oldest brother hated me calling him "hun" and "honey" so I named my dog it. Ruutu got his name after my fav penguins hockey player (who is now in Finland playing, but his brother still plays for the Canes). Chip was named because he was a chip of a sheltie (toy poodle apricot color ) Usually I do names, then registration names that way they can mimic each other.


If you want unique names, the way I hunt is based off of baby names usually. That's how we found Yolandra (mom's first agility dog) princess of some foreign place I now forget where..

Do you have a photo of him? Or know anything about his personality currently?
 
When I used to commute hours a day, one of my favorite games was thinking up Sheltie names. Right now, I'm favoring Simon and Sephine.
 
Back
Top