Feeding your dog meds.....not sure what to try next

Great video - just subscribed to your channel. My last sheltie needed thyroid med, half a small pill every morning. I used to hide it in cheese until one day I dropped it on the floor and she scarfed it up. After that I was 'dropping' her pill regularily followed by a treat and soon she would just take it out of my hand.

I basically shaped Juliet to eat her pills slowly. Took some time, but she started taking it willing on her own. She wouldn't eat it before and I had to hide it in food most of the time, and other times stuff it down the back of her throat, or break it up/squeeze it out into her food.

http://youtu.be/XHt9_pf-nK4
 
She wouldn't touch the pill pockets either.

My boy found whole pill pockets to be a bit bulky, like being given a "big" lump of clay. In a nutshell, I took a small piece of pill pocket material and formed it around the pill. The end result was a pill that was both tasty and (small) easy to swallow.
 
Peanut butter, chees whiz, yoguort....sometimes they work, sometimes not.

Another thing you might want to try is (crushed in) apple sauce. You can buy it in little cups.

(I had to do that for my mom, because she had swallowing problems.)
 
Hope you come up with something Barb. I am lucky with mine - I stick a pill in the back of the throat and they swallow.

Have you tried sticking the pill in the back of the throat and gently holding the muzzle closed, while stroking the throat?
 
Great video - just subscribed to your channel. My last sheltie needed thyroid med, half a small pill every morning. I used to hide it in cheese until one day I dropped it on the floor and she scarfed it up. After that I was 'dropping' her pill regularily followed by a treat and soon she would just take it out of my hand.


the problem here is that Bacca is 100% not food interested. The only treat he will eat is sweet pototoe and its really hard to bury the pills into that.

For now, canned gravy seems to be working, but I'm sure that will wear off in a few days and I will have to cycle back to something else. I'm just so tired of it. :(
 
Hope you come up with something Barb. I am lucky with mine - I stick a pill in the back of the throat and they swallow.

Have you tried sticking the pill in the back of the throat and gently holding the muzzle closed, while stroking the throat?

Yep....dog actually holds it in his throat and somehow spits it back out. Truly!
 
Velveeta cheese either the original or the white...I think that one is called Queso Blanco or some such.

Malleable enough to squish the pills into a small ball. My boys think they're wonderful. We do pills every day with all 3 dogs.
 
Yep....dog actually holds it in his throat and somehow spits it back out. Truly!
if you blow on their nose while holding their mouth shut its a reflex and they swallow..
im lucky besides Mia (who doesnt like anything) when mine hear pills they get excited and think they are going to eat...side effect of pilling molly for so long I created a bunch of addicts!! LOL:lol:
 
I'm lucky... I put them in the palm of my hand and hold it in front of his face and he grabs it fast because it might be a cookie.

For my other dog I have to wrap a pill in cheese. I make 4 cheese balls and only one has a pill. I feed them quick. Cheese, cheese, pill, cheese.
 
Back
Top