fencing?

ruckusluvr

Forums Enthusiast
I am moving soon! I dont know what I should do for fencing! of course the cheaper the fence, the sooner we can put it up.

What do you use for fencing? Right now I am using sheep fence on t-posts.
here it is http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/black_eyed05/Family dogs/?action=view&current=100_0546.jpg
just ignore that wood board. just scrap from the agility stuff I was building.

I am thinking of doing that again but that fencing can be a pain because you have to stretch it, and it is still not very sturdy. my dogs do not try to get out, did out, jump out, climb out, or even push against the fence so I am not thinking its a big deal. I have a 5 ft fence right now. I am thinking of down grading to a 4 ft fence but i am not sure. the dogs never thought of jumping on climbing the fence.
 
my yard is fenced using 4 foot chain link fencing. Works good for my dogs, but sometimes I wish I had a privacy fence, since they like to bark at the stray cats in the neighborhood.
 
About the only thing with getting a fence too low, is other dogs/animals might jump in with your dogs. Just something to think about.

We have a six foot wood fence. But then we are restricted with the type and look of the fence. One of the issues we have is coyotes. So for us the higher fence, with the bushes, hopefully deters them. Still, I go out with her at night.
 
We have a privacy fence. But we are in town.

This is a good thread, for we will be moving this year (hopefully) and are going out on acreage and am curious about what to use as well.
 
we also have privacy fence- now just have to bury some wire under certain areas because the non-sheltie has dug out :no:
 
I'm a little worried about height of fence as well.

We are having big issues with coyotes moving into city boundaries....I've actually seen one across the street from my place. Fortunately by wood fence is 6 feet high.

With my new house (assuming all the stars align), which opens onto parkland, I have to make a decision about fencing, because what is currently there is flimsy at best, and less than 4 feet. I don't want privacy fencing because I want to see the parkland, but I need to keep the dogs in and the other wildlife out. Plus, I'd like it to look good as well!

So, I too, am interested in what you all come up with.
 
This fencing issue is a good one to talk about. When I moved in here 11 years ago, I put up a 6-foot red cedar privacy fence around my back yard. I'm in the middle of suburbia, so wanted my "own space" and a place to make sure my Dobies were safe. Not much to look at, but at least I didn't have to see oodles of plastic gym sets every day.

Since then, every year, I've had major rabbits (no issue), groundhogs (yes, an issue--ever see a Dobie in a groundhog fight?), and at least 1 or 2 significantly-sized black rat snakes in the yard. Last spring, I had hell for ten minutes when a red fox burrowed under the fence and set off Dee and Gus. The darn thing ran onto the deck and (literally) through my back porch where both doors were open.

Where I'm planning to move in WV, with a few acres, the norm seems to be post and beam with metal screening tacked to it. Maybe 4 ft high. Worries me. I'm thinking maybe a smaller fenced in area out of the way for the pups that's "safe", then do the post and beam around the perimeter for aesthetics and the view.

Guess the lesson learned is--you're probably not going to totally eliminate unwanted guests, but add a deterrent.
 
All chain link here,it was here.And with lots of land,I'm sure at the time,it was the cheapest way to go.This house was built 35 years ago.

And in the two years we have been here,we've seen deer on the other side of the garage in the early morning hours.They leap right over this fence. the rest of our property is all wooded land,lots of pine trees.
 
This fencing issue is a good one to talk about. When I moved in here 11 years ago, I put up a 6-foot red cedar privacy fence around my back yard. I'm in the middle of suburbia, so wanted my "own space" and a place to make sure my Dobies were safe. Not much to look at, but at least I didn't have to see oodles of plastic gym sets every day.

Since then, every year, I've had major rabbits (no issue), groundhogs (yes, an issue--ever see a Dobie in a groundhog fight?), and at least 1 or 2 significantly-sized black rat snakes in the yard. Last spring, I had hell for ten minutes when a red fox burrowed under the fence and set off Dee and Gus. The darn thing ran onto the deck and (literally) through my back porch where both doors were open.

Where I'm planning to move in WV, with a few acres, the norm seems to be post and beam with metal screening tacked to it. Maybe 4 ft high. Worries me. I'm thinking maybe a smaller fenced in area out of the way for the pups that's "safe", then do the post and beam around the perimeter for aesthetics and the view.

Guess the lesson learned is--you're probably not going to totally eliminate unwanted guests, but add a deterrent.

I've had alot of people suggest enlarged dog runs. Or fence just a small portion of the property that would contain the dogs. If you are looking at fencing property off several acres, it would be ridicously expensive.

You could consider post and beam around the perimeter, filled in with chicken wire as an alternative. I've seen that done too.
 
Back
Top