Gavin's radiation treatment

Sending healing and peaceful thoughts to you and Gavin! It will be a tough and testing few weeks, but keep thinking of the end result and that is a many many more years of Gavin. Good luck little guy!
 
Thanks for all your well wishes :)

I know we need to do this, otherwise recurrence will be 60-70% within 2-3 years (the tumor wasn't completely excised due to location) and it tends to come back quicker each time.

A lot of people don't really understand why we are doing a full course (19 treatments); I hear '19 treatments? why so many' all the time. Palliative radiation (1 treatment a week for 3 weeks) is not something you do to try and extend your dogs life 5 years but more to slow tumor growth for a few months or so and improve life quality.
 
Just got back from Day 1

dropped Gavin off at 7:30 AM, piked him up at 4:30PM.
he was super excited to see me.
they said he barked a bit (duh) but otherwise did very well.

He was super thirsty, drank a lot, and then vomited up his dinner.
I think it was because of all the water :(

They shaved his paw and drew on it with a paint pen.
They gave me samples of miaderm, which is highly recommended for radiation burns. Ordered a 4oz size from amazon after applying it. Supposed to do that multiple times a day.

He has a catheter/IV thing on his front paw, covered with a sock/guard type thing so he can't get at it. They will keep it in for a week and remove it for the weekends.

Once I got Gavin settled down, he went to sleep in his pen.
Today we left home at 7AM and got back at 5:30PM.
Tomorrow I will try earlier to avoid traffic, so short turnaround time.

Long day and I'm exhausted and it's only day 1!!
 
Cindy, you do have a rough month ahead...but hopefully it will really give Gavin a chance to have several more years, cancer-free. Sending you good wishes and lots of hugs...this cancer journey is exhausting. :hugs

Trini
 
Gavin is being a brat today..

yesterday he drank so much water he vomited up his food. So today, I am rationing his water over time. He is throwing his empty food bowl around and whining. The sedative takes over an hour to settle him :cry: I put in him his large crate and he starts licking his leg that they are radiating (never done that before in my presence), I caught him immediately so no damage but it means he has to wear his cone all the time now. :(

Not too mention whining the entire 45 minute drive home, which was longer because I had to stop 10 minutes in (because he was so loud) to let him poop. The vet tech had walked him 15 minutes before I picked him up, so he decided he wouldn't poop on her walk but waited for me :uhoh:

I don't know how I am gonna make the rest of this week, let alone all 5 days next week.

putting the miaderm on twice a day, even though there is no visible sign of any side effects on his leg. Vet tech said he did fine through treatment and anesthesia. The one who check him in had her daughter with her, so I guess Gavin got some extra attention. He was happy to go in this morning, all the other dogs at the vets.
 
Cindy, Gavin has been through so much these last couple of months with 2 surgeries and now having this new intense routine of radiation that it is not surprising that he is acting out. Sadly, these little guys can't understand why we are making them go through all we do when fighting something like cancer and it takes away what I always call "their routine of happiness" ...their world is turned upside down and it is distressing to them emotionally. I know this is really hard on you too...your world has also been turned upside down. :hugs

Trini
 
So talked to the vet tech when I dropped off this morning.
Gavin was a brat all yesterday.
He consistently turned over his water bowl all day, barked at everything, and hated being kenneled.

I told her to mildly sedate him after his treatment was done if it makes her life easier. She said anesthesia can make dogs hyper.

By the time we go to bed, he is his sweet normal self. Quiet as can be on the morning drive to the vets, and sites sweetly with me while waiting for intake.

OK..so after today I have 14 treatments left. I need a countdown to keep me sane!
 
Wow, take deep breaths...
You have your hands full!

Here is hoping and praying each day/treatment gets easier! :fl

Don't you just wish you could talk to them and reason with them?
Yes, this for your own good... I promise!!!! :hugs

Take care and rest yourself... :yes:
 
I'm hoping Gavin's treatments get easier and less stressful as they go on. Poor guy is probably terrified. Thinking of you and Gavin.
 
I think the vet tech is gonna sedate him today....
he is just too amped up with all the other dogs around.

I honestly don't think he is scared, but definitely very unhappy about being kenneled at all. A crate at home is one thing (which we use), but a crate in a room with 10 other dogs is just too distracting for him. He wants to play and bark!

His treatments are going very well, as well as his recovery from anesthesia. I am starting to look forward to having him boarded at the vets for a week of treatment over the holidays :) I will get a break from all this, although Gavin will probably be even more unhappy.
 
Back
Top