Gavin's radiation treatment

Treatment 7 : Wednesday

the vet tech's daughter waits impatiently for him to come in every morning. They play ball and hide and seek until she goes to school.

They said his seroma is smaller, so I should apply more hot compresses.

Otherwise, no change. No visible radiation burns.
AS soon as we get home he goes to sleep, which makes my life easier.
 
Cindy, every treatment day is one day closer to being done with the radiation for Gavin. It sounds like he has found a special little friend in the vet tech's daughter...happy playtime for both of them. :smile2:

Trini
 
Will make me feel better about boarding him next week, but
I don't know if she will be there though or on vacation :(

But her Mom finds it amusing so hopefully she will take special care of Gavin.

12 treatment days to go!

Starting to plan working out again come mid January when I don't have this awful schedule :)
 
So sweet about the vet tech's daughter having a special bond with Gavin, it must make the road a little easier. This must be such an exhausting time... remember to look after yourself too. Thinking of you both :hugs
 
day 8 : Thursday

they are doing blood work to see how Gavin is handling the anesthesia. Will get results net week. Seroma is unchanged. They want me to do hot compresses, but they aren't. obviously not a priority.

They treated him later in the day, and Gavin was still a little off balance when I picked him up. Super excited, but walked kinda sideways and tripped a bit. I think when they do him earlier, he is calmer when I pick him up.

Also, thirstier when we got home and I think that correlates to when he came out of anesthesia, too.

Back at 7:30 again tomorrow so he can play with Bailey.
 
Day 9 : Friday

Had chat with Dr. Gavin's bloodwork came back fine.
No burns yet, expect them next week. His loss of paw pads will come the last week and take a few weeks to be completely healed. January will not be fun at my house.

Since I will be out of town Dec 19-26, I will only be getting phone updates and not seeing him next week. I won't post unless something is noteworthy.
 
Cindy, Christmas greetings to you and Gavin from my pack to yours!
Hoping for good news regarding Gavin's continued treatment. :fl

Your updates are such a value to us and anyone else who will need to understand each step you have gone through in the future!

Thanks for the updates! :yes:

Virtual hugs coming your way! :hugs
 
Thanks! Merry Christmas to everyone :)

I will post pictures, too. There just hasn't been any change to note yet.
I know that will have changed by the time I return.


I will add, they mark up his leg with paint pen and marker so the know where to irradiate his leg. The lotion I have been using (Miaderm) has taken the purple marker and spread it out to the rest of his leg, making it look all red and irritated when it is not :P

I got my last snuggles in last night and this morning. He even slept all night on my bed (he normally will want to hop off after a few hours). I will miss him tons; but they will call me every day after his treatment, same as now.
 
Merry Christmas Cindy & Gavin.

Thank you so much for posting the progress. This thread is going to be such a huge help to others going through this.

Have a great vacation. You and Gavin are in my thoughts.
 
vacation update:

On Tuesday (treatment day 11) the vet tech noting some gimpy-ness. So he was put on Tramadol twice a day (I had brought his in).

On Wednesday, complete gimpy-ness.

On Thursday (treatment day 13) the vet tech said he was getting red and irritated on his paw. So he was put on Prednisone, the peeing wonder drug.

Vet tech played ball with him, so he was in good spirits.

Can't wait to get back and take care of him...
 
Back
Top