great deal on bones.

I don't give kibble as a meal, unless I didn't unfreeze a portion of raw or just as convenient. consistent treat for him around the house to find when I leave.
I also only feed a meal once a da.
The vet is amazed at how good Toffee's teeth look, they are still puppy white at two years old.
 
I told my husband that I wanted to use the chicken breast for Belle.. his reaction was :eek2: oh well..

what do you suppose it is about the raw that makes the teeth clean? if the bones are soft, it must be more than the bones..
 
Just make sure you give her bone as without bones you're just asking for the poops. It will be hard to tell how well she does on raw with still feeding kibble... as the kibble can cause problems when mixed with raw and vice versa... i originally considering doing half raw/half food but then the more I read about that not being very effective and causing more problems sometimes than good, I just scratched the whole kibble. I even still have a big bag that I plan to donate. I have a 20lb dog and she eats 4 oz in the am, 4 oz in the pm... I'm considering switching to one meal because like the previous poster said, it's hard to get bone meals into 4 oz sometimes... There are tons of websites out there.. my fav is dogfoodchat.com and then the raw section. I've learned so much on it...

You won't be disappointed... The thought of feeding kibble even after a week horrifies me now.
 
I told my husband that I wanted to use the chicken breast for Belle.. his reaction was :eek2: oh well..

what do you suppose it is about the raw that makes the teeth clean? if the bones are soft, it must be more than the bones..

No, it's the bones. You need to give them drumsticks or thighs or something that really works the jaw muscles and it scrapes the plaque off. The joints and such also work as floss-like material and keeps them clean in between. Hadley had awful teeth and horrible breath, and within a week, breath is gone and plaque is gone off all but the two big ones and those are almost plaque-free... it works miracles... feeding them the way they were meant to eat is the way to go...
 
thank you all for your replies, they are really very helpful..

if I don't use up all the kibble, my husband will have a bird, so I will have to keep to 1 or 2 days per week raw until it is all gone. I'm going to buy some drumsticks and thighs instead of the chicken breast.

marymrumfelt, what do you feed besides the raw meat and bone?
 
thank you all for your replies, they are really very helpful..

if I don't use up all the kibble, my husband will have a bird, so I will have to keep to 1 or 2 days per week raw until it is all gone. I'm going to buy some drumsticks and thighs instead of the chicken breast.

marymrumfelt, what do you feed besides the raw meat and bone?

Mine are still in the three week period where they suggest only feeding chicken at first to get them used to the adjustment. Then you introduce other proteins one at a time in order to make sure they don't have an allergies or whatnot to the protein-- if you're giving them a lot at once it will be hard to decipher what's causing a problem.

Eventually I'll follow the prey model which is 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, and 5% liver and 5% other organs, but this will be a bit down the road. I've researched this for hours and hours and there really are some good forums out there.. the best one for me is: http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/raw-feeding/

Yes, do the drumsticks and thighs for a week and see how she does... if her poop starts becoming crumbly or u see straining u can add in a meal of just meat... you will basically be examining their poop daily @ 1st to see whether they need bone or less bone. LOL so, becoming one with poop will just be something you get used to... Your dog will be so happy and it, imo, is the best thing you can do for your carnivore.
 
so I went to the local butcher and they had a good deal on chicken necks and backs.. frozen, so I am thawing one bag out now in the refrigerator, and plan on giving a back tomorrow and re-freezing the rest.. hopefully the fact that they are not thawed to room temperature will be OK to re-freeze the rest after I have divided up the package as there is no other choice.. as previously, I want to start with 1 or 2 days a week until the kibble is gone. it would have been nice to start with drumsticks or thighs but this is as good a start as any, I guess.. at least it is a start.

marymrumfelt, the link you gave is the one I was following to start with the chicken backs.. under the "is it normal" thread.
 
Last edited:
i am not as pure a I would like to be, but for sure I feed mostly raw. I remember I think it was Ania and some others who have recommended if I was to run out of a portion of raw or whatever it doesn't kill the dog to skip a day!
I had relapsed again for a while , but I am pretty much back again on all raw for the meals.
 
Back
Top