Help!! New puppy fear biting & barking

He looks great, I'm so happy for you that he's doing so well.

I have a very anxious rescue that I've been working with. Dealing with fearful dogs isn't easy, thanks for taking the time with him! So many people just give up before putting in any time or training, without ever realizing the dog's potential to improve and become a happy, confident family member.

Well Done! :biggrin2:
 
beautiful dogs!

Thank you for your kind words.

nope - once a pup hits this home he's stuck -we won't give him up, he/she is a member of the family at that point.

Jack still has a loooong way to go - he seems to be the type -the more I play with him -the happier he is & the more comfortable he is with me.

we've got 4 shelties -2 aren't that interested in play -2 are.

good luck with the rescue!
 
Jack the pup

Hi all;

I am so thankful for members words of advice & encouragment.
I thought you all might like an update on our troubled puppy Jack.

here's a new pic of Jack (the first pic we ever took -he is obviously terrified)

the 2 pics basically tell his story - he has come a loooooong way & is an accepted & confident member of our sheltie pack now.

http://pookies.shutterfly.com/32

scott and deb
 
Hi all;

I am so thankful for members words of advice & encouragment.
I thought you all might like an update on our troubled puppy Jack.

here's a new pic of Jack (the first pic we ever took -he is obviously terrified)

the 2 pics basically tell his story - he has come a loooooong way & is an accepted & confident member of our sheltie pack now.

http://pookies.shutterfly.com/32

scott and deb

Wow. If he weren't such a beautiful, unique sheltie...I would say they are two different dogs. Now he looks happy and confident. That's terrific!
 
How the heck did I miss this story? What an inspiring story -- congratulations to you and your adorable Sheltie for making it past the fear!
 
What wonderful news! Thanks so much for the update. The photos sure tell the story. Jack is a lucky boy to have found you! :yes:
 
Jack

It's funny, I get tears in my eyes every time I look at that first picture. He was "SO" scared for the first 6 weeks or so we had him. He still doesn't trust me completely, he has his days where he is very skittish & won't let me approach him -then the next day he'll want to sit in my lap -still working things out in his pretty little head I guess.
He really took to my wife around week 6 or so -she's been a godsend -he comes to her & will stay for her (not me).
Looking back, when he was restricted to his pen and constantly trying to get out of it -I think he was just trying to get to me or my wife to be held. What I percieved as a flee mechanism (which he "does" have in spades!) was occasionaly just a desire to be held/touched -we think his socialisation skills were non existent -he came from a kennel where they just filled up a trough with food & left the dogs alone.

We walk our pack off the leash on an abandoned dirt road that abuts our property -about a half hour to end & back -jack is still on the leash -that's the next big hurdle -getting him to come when called (he LOVES chicken!) and stay & sit -then off the leash with the other dogs (hopefully) for our walks.
I think Jack is a good candidate for puppy /young dog training. Our other dogs didn't require any obedience training (well - Gage got some basic obedience in order to enter the agility training class.), but , Jack is going to need someone with more knowledge than my wife & I possess.

I'll keep ya posted -thanks again everyone!

scott
 
Back
Top