Post on the volunteer needed board. The newest thread about the transport request from TN to Kentucky has been up for over a year.
Is there any way we could make a registry for people willing to help these Shelties in shelters?
Actually, it's not outside the realm of possibility, I design data tiers for things like web sites that need them, I could create a database with web form for people to add themselves over a lunch break. I even have free hosting credits to to host a site with database. So the answer is, yes we could make a registry. But the question then becomes, what would it take to make it useful and secure?
What are you thinking, as far as objective, like a relay transport, where 10 people willing to drive 6 hours each is easier to find than one person willing to drive 60 hours?
Integrating with Google Maps would be a great start -- I've never actually done it, but soooo many sites have that it can't possibly be very difficult. After adding each person in the registry to the map (by zip code) Google Maps routing capabilities would make it easy/intuitive to pick member-to-member route possibilities, and the driving directions pane would even list the distances between members.
Now for the hard parts... Let's take it for granted there were enough participants between points A and B to move dog D: how do you realistically try to sync all their schedules to make it happen? What happens if someone flakes or breaks down along the way? Effectively each member would have to be willing and able to foster for an indeterminate length of time. And how much would it stress the dog to pass through 10 pairs of hands?
As for security in terms of IT, I think it could be functional without exposing members' personal info, inquiry results consisting of only a record ID and a zip code would facilitate mapping/routing without exposing anything that could be abused. And communication via email between members could be managed by the registry system effectively enough with little risk of spamming.
But the prospect of arranging for members to physically meet along the way has obvious safety implications. Even though odds of something bad happening seem quite remote, the worst-case consequences are extreme.
Perhaps a logical first step would be to create a thread about this idea here, to see if sufficient interest exists. If so I'll commit to creating member registration input and storage, and limited inquiry/mapping capability. From there, if enough registrations are submitted to make organizing such travel arrangements somewhat practical, I'd fill in the missing pieces as my time permits.
Anyone with thoughts that pertain?
Oh wow, probably should've thought of this about 5 paragraphs ago... hcarol, I hope your question wasn't merely rhetorical!
