I think Eevee is blind after spay...

I hope your breeder is one of integrity. I can tell you that I would, as would most of my breeder associates, feel compelled to pay for the surgery. Did you have a health guarantee on Eevee from her breeder?

This is a really valid point.

I agree that if it is because of the dog's breeding, than a breeder of integrity will, in fact help pay for, if not fully pay for, the surgery.
 
I agree with Tagg. It's imperative that you contact your breeder asap and let her know what's happening with Eevee. Be prepared though that she may want to take her back. Some breeders prefer doing this to have a dog treated at their own vet rather than having you do it.

In any event, the most important thing is to share the news with her and see how she wants to handle it. I'm so sorry that this has happened and you're going through it. It's a very difficult situation and of course you want to do what's best for Eevee. Hopefully her breeder will feel the same.
 
It should say in the health guarantee what the breeder will or won't do in case of a claim. I know there are unscrupulous breeders out there that will insist that the dog comes back to them before a refund or another puppy will be given in replacement. Another clause I have seen is that the dog can be kept by the owner and the choice of a refund or another puppy is given at the discretion of the breeder. This, at least, would give Eevee's owners some cash to pay toward the diagnostic tests so they can make a better, educated decision, but not the surgery itself.
If you are really lucky then it will say that in the case of a congenital or inherited physical defect that affects the ability of the animal to be enjoyed for the purpose of being a companion animal the breeder agrees to pay for all diagnostic tests and surgery if required. Ongoing medication would be the responsibility of the client. Then, if a breeder wishes to have some exception or clarification clauses they would be spelled out for the client on paper and witnessed. Sure hope you are in the third category with a good health agreement.
 
I jumped the queue here and didn't read everyone else's responses.....sorry if I might repeat someones response.

Don't give up on her yet. My vet tried to talk me into extensive, intrusive tests etc. I said no.

Bacca is a healthy 4 year old, but with wonky blood results for the last two years. I control it with a moderate protein diet, milk thistle supplements and meds for hypothyroid.

What food are you feeding currently? What are the protein, fat, carb levels? I found some success with a moderate protein, grain-free diet for Bacca. His blood counts for liver still aren't in the normal range, but good enough that the vet is satisfied to continue this course.

Bacca's journey is on the forum already so you can search on it, but if want to know more, feel free to PM me.

Best of luck to you!
 
My heart just plain hurts for you. With all the medical advances, we dog lovers now can find ourselves between a rock and a hard lace. There may be a treatment...but it's prohibitively expensive. Remember, this is YOUR decision, and no one can or should judge your choice. I think you'll find your Sheltie Nation friends behind whatever approach you decide to take, sending love, prayers and support.

Please hug little Eevee for me.
 
Dr. Jean Dodds email address: hemopet@hotmail.com Her phone number is 310-828-4804.

Don't be shy, Dr. Dodds will answer so very quickly. By reporting these kinds of issues to Dr. Dodds you are helping her with her very important research that benefits dogs and dog lovers everywhere.

Please keep in touch,

OOOOOO's



Kate
 
Last edited:
Don't be too upset with your husband. As much as I love all of my dogs, I have to be realistic and there is a cap to the amount of money I can spend. Each of us has an amount of money that is out of our reach, although different figures for different people. Dogs are our furry children and yes we have a responsibility to take care of them to the best of our ability. "Best of our ability" being the operative part of that sentence. I may get some flack here, but it is not the same as caring for a child. For my daughter, I would give my life to save hers.

Please call your breeder and talk to them about Eevee's situation. I'm hopeful they will help you out in this situation.
 
Appt with a specialist

My husband spoke with the breeder. She said none of Eevee's littermates have reported same problem. Basically she said she will take Eevee back if Eevee needs to be put to sleep. In the contract all it says is "Health guarantee is void if lepto is ever given". Nothing else. Just simple one page contract.

I don't want to give Eevee back. I don't want another puppy. No other puppy will replace her. I don't want a refund. I just want Eevee to be happy and pain free and live a long life. I made an appointment with a specialist next Wednesday. It was the earliest time they had. I want to at least talk to a specialist and see what our options are. We owe Eevee that much and much more. If I was to give Eevee up and there's a guarantee that some other person can give Eevee all the medical attention she needs, which we can't provide, I'm prepared to do that. But sounds like if we give up Eevee to the breeder, her life will end there. In that case, I will do everything I can to prolong her life. I have joined a yahoo group of people with dogs with liver disease. Apparently they have lots of dogs with more than one liver shunt that is not operable. Those dogs were given weeks to month to live. By giving the dogs supplements and managing diet, these dogs are still going strong after 2-5 years. I know it is very short compared to normal Sheltie's life span, but if I can get 2-5 years with Eevee, I think it's worth fighting for. We only had her for 8 months and it's just way too short.
 
Back
Top