Is there a rescue group in Spokane area?

MaggieMae

Forums Enthusiast
I have a 5.5 month old Sheltie pup that I can't handle. He's AKC registered, micro-shipped, neutered, shots up-to-date, wormed, everything. He is so sweet but he is shyer than any dog I've ever had. He's afraid of everything - it's impossible to take him for a walk. He hides from our grandchildren.

He's loving at home and full of fun but he is hard on our older Sheltie - he won't leave her alone and she's too sweet to nip him.

The breeder isn't in a position to take him back as her husband just lost his job. We just want to find him someone who is experienced in Shelties (especially very shy ones).

Thanks from a very sad Sheltie mom.:(
 
I expect from you post that you have decided against some behavioural help? These dogs really can be rehabiliated.

Oh, please! Give the forum time to help you out! It might take a little time, but there are lots of people here who will want to help you.

I'm so glad that you are reaching out here first, rather than just dropping him off at a shelter.

Take care
Barb
 
Julie, my heart breaks for you. When Phebe wasn't much younger than your pup, I had a few episodes where I really wondered what I had got myself into. Phebe wasn't reliable walking on a leash until she was about 6 months old. Before that, lots of starts and stops, and freaking out if a dog in a yard barked as we walked by. It took everything I had to remain calm, patient and firm, and together we got through it. Now, at 8 months, she loves her walks 2+ miles most days.

Reaching out to a rescue organization will help you find the right home for your pup and they may even be able to help you work through the behavioral issues and keep your pup. What about the breeder taking the pup back temporarily with your support for food and medical and working toward putting him back into your house?

***Edited to add -- Small children also freaked Phebe out. She would go out of her way to avoid them and barked at them. I just kept exposing her to them, used the 'look' command to break her focus and now she likes kids of all sizes.
 
Last edited:
I second what Barb has said. Perhaps our membership can give you some ideas, I know some of our people have dealt with shyness issues. Don't give up yet...5 months is so young that they have a long way to go and sometimes it takes longer to come out of their shell. My 10 y.o. Ivy was a pet store girl and she has been terrified of children all her life. As in she will hide under the house when one is in the vicinity and refuse to come out! She has finally begun to get over it now that we have a granddaughter. But it does take time and patience, and your pup is just a baby and learning about things. Also, puppies just love to play with older dogs and the behavior you are seeing there is just typical puppy antics. He will grow out of that as well. You may just need to monitor their play for a while.

So hang in there, and let the replies roll in! Please!!!
 
Thank you for all your help. I'm really at my wit's end. He's so smart - he learned the basics in minutes - sit, down, come. But they don't translate to real life - he won't come when he's called if he's not confined to one room. He also loves to eat out older dog's poop. Ughhh! I've put a call into a trainer that advertised that they can work with all personalities, but we can't afford one that is too expensive.

I keep remembering our peaceful life before we got him. Our beautiful Sheltie Maggie was happy and not harrassed, we didn't have to get up in the night - all those things you take for granted. I sort of feel like I'm barely hanging on with him right now. Yesterday I yelled at him and knocked him off (he jumps on me all the time and it's beginning to hurt). I felt like a monster.

Thanks for providing a place where I can express my frustration and sadness.
 
When training a dog, you have to remember that they do NOT generalize well ie. they will sit, stay, come in one place, and when you take them somewhere else, they all of a sudden don't know what they are doing. That is why, so many people in doggie class will say 'but he does it at home...'. In order for a dog to generalize, you have to train with him/her in all sorts of places, and many times a day. (this does not mean you have to spend hours and hours at it, it just means that if you are in the living room, and he is not, call him to you, and treat. Have him sit, down or whatever. If you are in the kitchen the same thing, or outside in the back yard...etc.) I clicker train, so it is super easy and I can train, sits, downs etc while watching tv.

It sounds like you are frustrated. Puppies are like todlers. They will misbehave and push our buttons. It is not fair to compare him to an adult dog, just like it would not be fair to compare a todler to an adult. Only you know what you are able to do and how much time you have to invest in him. I sincerely do hope that things work out for you and him, because it does sound like you do love him. But only you know what you can do, what is best in the long run for you and for him. No one will judge you here.
 
Julie...please keep us posted here on how you do with your puppy. We will help you in any way we can. We'd hate for you to get to the point where you have to give your little one up. So do keep in touch with us, and good luck! :smile2:
 
Julie...please keep us posted here on how you do with your puppy. We will help you in any way we can. We'd hate for you to get to the point where you have to give your little one up. So do keep in touch with us, and good luck! :smile2:

Ditto!

To me, it sounds like he's just a typical little fellow wanting attention, and it's nothing that proper training and consistency can't fix ;-).. Do you have any pictures of him that you can post?...And what is his name? Does the breeder he came from have a website? Just curious...
 
Back
Top