Is there a rescue group in Spokane area?

Ditto!

To me, it sounds like he's just a typical little fellow wanting attention, and it's nothing that proper training and consistency can't fix ;-).. Do you have any pictures of him that you can post?...And what is his name? Does the breeder he came from have a website? Just curious...

The breeder is a backyard breeder. I called her on Friday to ask for suggestions. She answered that he's just like his father who is a "spook", too. She said it might be because she never socialized the puppies because she never takes her own dogs anywhere for fear of disease, etc. We got him when he was almost 3 months and he'd never been near other people, cars, etc. I ordered the book and am hoping it will help. He's so sweet and smart but frightened all the time.
 
Julie...please keep us posted here on how you do with your puppy. We will help you in any way we can. We'd hate for you to get to the point where you have to give your little one up. So do keep in touch with us, and good luck! :smile2:

I spoke with a local dog trainer who is considered to be very good. She said lack of socialization when young and genetics are a very tough combination - one or the other and she would give it a try but she said with both problems she didn't want to spend our money needlessly. We are truly suffering with this decision.

Again, I so wish someone in the Washington/Idaho area would consider a rescue.
 
It occurs to me that your pup and Janet's Newton might have alot in common at the moment.

Perhaps Janet can give you some tips and ideas on what she's doing to work through Newton's issues.

Good luck! 5 months is still very young. They also go through funny stages in the first year as well.
 
Yes...he is still a very young little boy...with loads of potential ;-).. He's by no means a "finished product." Also, some dogs are just more shy than others...but it's definately NOT too late to start working with him on it...socializing him... Just take it s l o w with him ;-0).., and get advice from the others here than can help ;-).
 
I just wanted to say good luck with your pup. It's definitely a tough situation. When we first brought Bentley home I remember wondering if we had made the right decision. We took him to the dog park and he lunged and barked and growled at the other dogs. I was so upset that I started crying right then and there. I went home and emailed the breeder wondering what we had gotten ourselves into.

Now that he has settled in, and we found a great obedience trainer, we can't imagine our lives without Bentley.

It's obviously a different situation, but as a lot of people can attest to on here better than I can, rehabilitation can work wonders.
 
I just wanted to say good luck with your pup. It's definitely a tough situation. When we first brought Bentley home I remember wondering if we had made the right decision. We took him to the dog park and he lunged and barked and growled at the other dogs. I was so upset that I started crying right then and there. I went home and emailed the breeder wondering what we had gotten ourselves into.

Now that he has settled in, and we found a great obedience trainer, we can't imagine our lives without Bentley.

It's obviously a different situation, but as a lot of people can attest to on here better than I can, rehabilitation can work wonders.

Thank you so much for the encouragement. Who would think a small puppy could cause such upheaval? When they come with built-in problems it makes it harder than just the normal puppy antics - :( We aren't giving up just yet. We do love him so much!)
 
she said with both problems she didn't want to spend our money needlessly.

Wow. :eek2: A trainer that has doomed you for failure before you've even given it a try! How reassuring!

I would look up your local AKC club. You'd be surprised what they can do for you. I found a groomer that way. I emailed a sheltie breeder, and she suggested I try her daughter. The woman who grooms my sheltie does all of the normal dog stuff (agility, obedience, ect.), plus she also trains dogs. I saw her work with Smudge when he was terrified of the Pedi Paws, or whatever the fancy nail clipper is. I forgot. :razz: I'd write/call somebody from the AKC club. They can find you a GOOD trainer who won't doom you before you've even tried. Don't assume that since the AKC suggested them that they will be expensive. I got a great deal on a groom. :smile2:

I guess they could also tell you where to find a sheltie rescue. :cry:
 
Smudge is absolutely right, Julie. You need a trainer who is specific to Shelties, which are not your average run-of-the-mill doggie temperament. Any trainer who tells you this is an insurmountable issue is all wet. I would definitely try the AKC, as Smudge suggested, but another thought based on that is to also try the ASSA (Amercian Shetland Sheepdog Association) at www.assa.org . You can also, on that website, find other Sheltie breeders near you who might be able to connect you with a Sheltie trainer, or even a breeder who might provide some training for your pup.

Honestly, shyness in a five-month-old Sheltie pup is not that unusual and he's still young enough for socialization and training. Please don't give up on him! Try the book you've ordered, which is a wonderful suggestion, and some of these resources. Good luck, and keep us posted!
 
Poor you

I do understand what you are going through a little bit, I had the same problem with a German Shepherd I used to own, he was fear aggressive and not socialized at all... !
When you are IN IT, you really feel and think you're the only one that has such an 'awful' dog... and people must hate you and the dog... but trust me you're not the only one, EVER...

You guys also have two things going for ya.. He's a Sheltie!! and He's a Sheltie :yes: That makes me him very smart, eager to please AND it makes people NOT be scared when he does the ballistic stuff :lol:

My GSD also came into my life when I thought I knew dogs, and had an elderly Boxer, but for some reason you really DO FORGET what dogs were like as puppies, lol So I highly recommend ONE ON ONE time training a little daily... and do what Ania said... go with positive reinforcement training, one sit/look at a time in many different places!
 
Last edited:
I'm waiting for the book and also am going to google the Sheltie group - there must be one near here and call a breeder for help. I do feel like I'm going a little nuts trying to cope and my husband does, too. Now he's fixated on "poop" - his and our other Sheltie's. So now she is munching on poop - it must be peer pressure! :uhoh: It's too gross - we are scooping as fast as we can but they definitely have radar for any little bits left over. Three times Buddy has brought the poop into the house and run around with it! Yuck! :no:

Thank you all - what a kind and supportive group you are. It's one day at a time right now!
 
Back
Top