Leg Calve Perthes Dx

Ania

Forums Enthusiast
Well, I got some bad news today. I took Chinook, my 9 month old, to the orthopedic vet today, because he was having pain and sometimes lameness in his left hind leg. I took him to the chiropractor a few times, but did not notice much improvement. I thought it was possibly hip dysplasia, but after the vet took x-rays, it came back as Leg Calve Perthes Dx. :cry: It is the necrosis of bone (death) due to lack of circulation to the hip bones (the head and neck of the femur) No wonder he is in pain and lacking in energy and playfulness. Unfortunately, the vet himself is going in for surgery next week, so Chinook's surgery is not until March 23. They will basically excise (remove) his hip (the head, neck and trochanter of the femur and part of the acetabulum (socket)). It is a long, slow recovery (six months). Hopefully it will be a full one and he will be fine, or he might have a slight limp. For now, I have to limit his exercise (which is so hard, as Maia is all over him all the time to play) I am so upset. I just lost my first baby to cancer not even a year ago, and now this. I was so hoping to have a healthy puppy. He's only 9 months old! This is very hard emotionally. I know he will not die, but it just brings back all the fears and pain from 9 months ago. My heart is breaking for him. And here I thought he was just 'lazy', but instead he was in pain. :cry:
 
Well, I got some bad news today. I took Chinook, my 9 month old, to the orthopedic vet today, because he was having pain and sometimes lameness in his left hind leg. I took him to the chiropractor a few times, but did not notice much improvement. I thought it was possibly hip dysplasia, but after the vet took x-rays, it came back as Leg Calve Perthes Dx. :cry: It is the necrosis of bone (death) due to lack of circulation to the hip bones (the head and neck of the femur) No wonder he is in pain and lacking in energy and playfulness. Unfortunately, the vet himself is going in for surgery next week, so Chinook's surgery is not until March 23. They will basically excise (remove) his hip (the head, neck and trochanter of the femur and part of the acetabulum (socket)). It is a long, slow recovery (six months). Hopefully it will be a full one and he will be fine, or he might have a slight limp. For now, I have to limit his exercise (which is so hard, as Maia is all over him all the time to play) I am so upset. I just lost my first baby to cancer not even a year ago, and now this. I was so hoping to have a healthy puppy. He's only 9 months old! This is very hard emotionally. I know he will not die, but it just brings back all the fears and pain from 9 months ago. My heart is breaking for him. And here I thought he was just 'lazy', but instead he was in pain. :cry:

Are you serious! What are the true symptoms? Please, please, get a second opinion on this.

I'm sorry if I seem abrupt about this, but I really think for the kind of therapy your are contemplating a second opinion is warranted. 9 months is awful young to be diagnosed with something like this, in my limited experience.
 
I saw the x-rays myself. And actually, this is a disease that afflicts the young, in humans and animals alike. There was no mistaking the lysing of the bone, the abnormal shape of the head and acetabulum. I'm a chiropractor, and have seen x-rays of this before (in humans) I was praying that it was not cancer, as cancer can eat the bone like that too.
 
Oh I am so sorry, that is really a bummer. It is wonderful you understood the x-ray and have faith in your vet. Wow six months.

Lots of POWER PRAYERS coming your way.
 
I'm so sorry Ania....its so difficult to think about the pain your baby is having now and the surgery and recovery to come.

My brother rescued a chow mix puppy that had fractured pelvis and hip. What he found most useful in his puppy's recovery was swimming. Will you have access to a pool for your dog after the incisions heal? Hey...will Chinook get a cool set of wheels during recovery? (sorry...Physical therapist here so I'm thinking rehab, recovery, rehab, recovery and I"M THINKING POSITIVE).

OK POSITIVE ENERGY going to ANIA and CHINOOK!!
 
I saw the x-rays myself. And actually, this is a disease that afflicts the young, in humans and animals alike. There was no mistaking the lysing of the bone, the abnormal shape of the head and acetabulum. I'm a chiropractor, and have seen x-rays of this before (in humans) I was praying that it was not cancer, as cancer can eat the bone like that too.

Ania,

OK, I feel like I was meant to be your friend and join the forum. This is spooky. When I was a child I had Legg Calve Pethes disease, too. I was dx at age 2 yrs and I wore a specially fitted brace and a "big shoe" for three years. When the brace came off, I had an 1 1/2 inch difference in leg length. I bounced back very quickly. My leg length is only off by hair--just enough to make a wiggle when I walk, lol. :wink2:

Chinnok has youth on his side and an early dx of the problem. Of course being a dog vs. a human, the treatment is different, but I am positive he will be fine. Thank God it's not cancer and this is fixable. I understand it this is incredibly difficult thing to do through and I am so sorry that both you and Chinook have to go through it, but thank God again that you have each other. Also, because of your profession, you will be able to help him problably much better than the average dog owner. I know what it's like to lose a beloved Sheltie and have that horrilbe anxiety that something bad will happen to the new loves in your life. I am here for you at any time. Always. Anytime you want to PM me, please do not hesitate for a nanosecond to do so.
 
No, no access to a pool:no:, but I am thinking that since he will have the surgery at the end of March, and will not be mobile for some time, it should be warm enough here by the time he is better, that I might just have to invest in a small pool for him in the back yard (although, he HATES water, so I am not sure how that would go over).

Granite, I will have to pick your brain after his surgery for rehab exercises I can do with him, as that is what will make the difference in how well he does after.

For now, my immediate purchase will be an exercise pen for him. I feel so bad for him. I don't want him to think and feel like he is being punished, but I have to keep him from exercising too much right now and away from Maia - who just bites and nips at him to play. This is one time I wish I only had one dog. I hate the thought of separating the two of them, but I must, I live alone, so there is no one else to take care and pay attention to one dog, while I look after the other.
 
Oh Ania, I am so sorry to hear about your little Chinook. I will send extra prayers to St. Francis to take care of him and see him through this and heal. You have lots of support here in this group, please lean on us. We are here for you.
 
I'm so sorry to hear this. I think I mentioned that we had a 14 month old that underwent double femoral head ostectomy. His recovery was 10 to 12 months. He had both hips done at one time. We had to towel walk him to potty/poo for about two months until he could begin physical therapy. Once physical therapy began, he progressed nicely and eventually did get back to almost 100%. I say "almost" because we did monitor him and stop him from getting too crazy because he did tend to have soreness every once in awhile. Our physical therapist had an underwater tredmil. Are there any vet offices around that might have this form of rehab? It was wonderful, because he walked on a tredmil, yet the water gave him boyancy and took the pressure off. I was able to get in there with him to comfort him until he got brave enough to go it on his own.

Is there any information as to if this dx is a hereditary condition?
 
Back
Top