Leg Calve Perthes Dx

Is there any information as to if this dx is a hereditary condition?

They think it is, but are not sure how exactly. I just read that and that is what the orthopedic vet said too. He is preparing a letter I can send to Chinook's breeder. This is from the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals web site: 'LCP is believed to be an inherited disease, although the mode of inheritance is not known. Because there is a genetic component, it is recommended that dogs affected with LCP not be used in breeding programs.'

I have not heard of vet offices here with pools or tredmills in water either. I will have to inquire though.

Thank you for all the prayers.
 
I am so sorry to hear about Chinook. I know it's going to be a long, hard road, but in the end your bond together with be strengthened. Plus, he is so young, he should bounce back very nicely. Good luck to you both.
 
Perthes

I have a friend who's Sheltie has what Chinook has and is having surgery in March.This dog Magic is a younger dog.
 
Ania, I had a minpin who had LCP and had surgery. She had the ball removed only. Once it was removed, she was up again the next day and looking and feeling MUCH better in a week.

She was on pain meds (the wonderful ones we have in Canada, not those horrible addictive hurtful ones they have in the USA, I forget the name but can find it if you like) for months and months and we went for physical therapy three times a week at first then twice a week then once a week, etc., etc., for about six months.

After that time, she was as good as new and no one would ever know there was anything wrong. Her leg is a tad shorter than the others but it doesn't seem to affect her at all.

My vet specializes in orthopaedics and did a wonderful job on her - just a teensy scar, and said the entire head was falling to bits when she opened her up.

I've never heard of removing more than just the ball of the ball and socket joint. Have you done a ton of research on this to be sure that's what's best? I don't know you or your dog or your vet but this is a major surgery and it warrants making sure you're doing the best you can for your dog.

My minpin was encouraged to do as much as she could the minute she could - no rest at all - but no racing around, either - except for the first day.

She recovered to as good as new within six months so I know my vet did an incredible job.

I wish you luck and hope your dog has a quick and great recovery.

The good part is, LCP is easier to treat and fix permanently than luxating patella so, in a way, this is a good thing.

This is also degenerative so I hope your breeder doesn't breed her parents ever again or more and more pups will have it.

Best of luck to you!
 
Oh, Ania! I'm sorry to see this. At least you found out now and not later. I'm sure that Chinook will be good as new once the surgery is over. Keep us posted on how he is doing and know that all of us are thinking of both of you!
 
Ania, I had a minpin who had LCP and had surgery. She had the ball removed only. Once it was removed, she was up again the next day and looking and feeling MUCH better in a week.


I've never heard of removing more than just the ball of the ball and socket joint. Have you done a ton of research on this to be sure that's what's best? I don't know you or your dog or your vet but this is a major surgery and it warrants making sure you're doing the best you can for your dog.


This is also degenerative so I hope your breeder doesn't breed her parents ever again or more and more pups will have it.

That is encouraging. It is all just sinking in for me. I hope he will feel better quickly too.

I emailed his breeder already so she will be aware of it.

As far as removing more than just the head, they have to with him, as it is affecting not only the head, but the neck and part of the trochanter as well, so they have to remove it all. The vet is an orthopedic vet, and from word of mouth, the best in the city. I saw the x-rays myself. I can read x-rays, so I know what the vet was telling me was the truth, otherwise, I would be getting a second opinion (as I don't take all vets to 'know' it all all the time - I do the research my self usually) With LCP, I have been doing research, and this is the only surgery offered as treatment. If it was not so advanced, they would be able to immobilize the leg and hip in a sling, and put him on rest first to see if that would clear it, but it is too late for that.

I hope that his surgery will go well, and he will be back to his normal playful self. Maia misses her playmate. She keeps running up to him with toys to try and entice him to play. He tries, but gives up after a few seconds. Poor guy.

So Brenda, is your dog doing well now? Can she run and play normally? Do you restrict the amount of activity she does? I am usually very active, especially in the summer and was planning on taking both Chinook and Maia rollerblading and biking (usually I will do 11-13 kms at a time). Will that be possible with Chinook, or no?

Thank you to everyone and for all your prayers.
 
That is encouraging. It is all just sinking in for me. I hope he will feel better quickly too.

I emailed his breeder already so she will be aware of it.

As far as removing more than just the head, they have to with him, as it is affecting not only the head, but the neck and part of the trochanter as well, so they have to remove it all. The vet is an orthopedic vet, and from word of mouth, the best in the city. I saw the x-rays myself. I can read x-rays, so I know what the vet was telling me was the truth, otherwise, I would be getting a second opinion (as I don't take all vets to 'know' it all all the time - I do the research my self usually) With LCP, I have been doing research, and this is the only surgery offered as treatment. If it was not so advanced, they would be able to immobilize the leg and hip in a sling, and put him on rest first to see if that would clear it, but it is too late for that.

I hope that his surgery will go well, and he will be back to his normal playful self. Maia misses her playmate. She keeps running up to him with toys to try and entice him to play. He tries, but gives up after a few seconds. Poor guy.

So Brenda, is your dog doing well now? Can she run and play normally? Do you restrict the amount of activity she does? I am usually very active, especially in the summer and was planning on taking both Chinook and Maia rollerblading and biking (usually I will do 11-13 kms at a time). Will that be possible with Chinook, or no?

Thank you to everyone and for all your prayers.

Great to hear you did all your research and are using an awesome vet.

My dog is perfectly fine. She races around, plays, still does the "frog", etc. She doesn't live here any more but she was here for a year after her surgery and I still hear about her all the time.

She may experience arthritis as she gets older but, for now, it's as though nothing ever happened at all. That's why I say LCP is bad but at least it's fixable - so hopefully your sheltie will be racing around and his old self in no time.

Penny didn't have to have anything but the ball removed, though, so I don't know if that will make a difference or not.

Good luck and fingers crossed for an easy recovery.

I do know she NEEDED the massage therapy for months, though (unless you are able to do it yourself) or she MAY have just not used the leg as much as she did. She was on pain killers (very low dose) for about six months or so until we figured she was completely, utterly healed and no longer needed massage therapy.

They say water therapy is the best but we don't have that here so that's why I got massage therapy (from my vet).

By the way, Penny was on Tolfedine® for pain. It was wonderful and is one of the best NSAIDS out there. She took it for, I think, three days, one day off, then four days and showed no sign she had taken anything other than seeing some pain relief (in other words, no side effects). I'm not a fan of pain meds in pets but she was in a LOT of pain for quite awhile and this helped her a LOT. On the days she didn't have it (at first), you could tell the difference. Also, after we'd have the massage therapy, she walked with much greater ease and obvious relief.

I don't know your dog but do be sure he's as slim as safe when he gets this surgery. It makes life much easier if they're not overweight.

More info here if you're interested:
http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00189.htm
 
Last edited:
I may have missed the post about this..but what were the symptoms? Was your babe able to put any pressure on the limb? Any signs of pain?
 
Ania, I just saw this. I am so very sorry for your baby. I'll send special prayers to St Francis for Chinook's speedy recovery. :yes:
 
LCP is definitely an inherited disease. It passes down through the lines. It sometimes, though, can appear out of nowhere so it's a tad confusing.

I know every breeder I spoke to said the parents should never be bred together again as they say there's evidence of once producing LCP pups, doing it again and again.
 
Back
Top