Merle to Merle Breeding is Ok as Long as You're Ok With the Outcome??

Yes, Cranberry would otherwise be more the color of Callie. The color of his dark patches are the color his coat would be if he weren't a merle. Cran would've been very dark.
 
I reiterate, if top breeders are seen do be OK about doing this and others are prepared to condone it by using a white stud dog so much so that he gains an award, then what is to stop anyone else from doing it as well, other than their own knowledge and ethics.

That's exactly what I mean!! Thanks for shouting it out loud seashel :) I totally agree with the new UKC rule that the progeny of a DM cannot be registered. This is something that will actually have some effect on breeders that otherwise has no problem attempting such mating.

Alfie is so merled up he almost camouflages perfectly to our marbled floor lol If everybodys sable Merle looked like this AKC probably would've allowed them in the ring eh?
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-IZsFb3kLYJk/TkJjkENiCsI/AAAAAAAABjU/vWNrcvjzO4E/s512/10%252520-%2525201.jpg
 
Last edited:
Alfie is so merled up he almost camouflages perfectly to our marbled floor lol If everybodys sable Merle looked like this AKC probably would've allowed them in the ring eh?
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-IZsFb3kLYJk/TkJjkENiCsI/AAAAAAAABjU/vWNrcvjzO4E/s512/10%252520-%2525201.jpg

AKC does allow sable merles in the ring. Again, the only problem with them is show breeders generally dislike them. There are numerous AKC champion sable merle shelties out there. Some good examples:
BISS Am/Can CH Laureate Santana ROMC
He also won BOB at the 2006 assa nationals, and was an award of merit winner at the assa nationals 3 times, as well as BOB at the cssa nationals, and best of opposite.
CH Bronwyn Rockefeller http://pedigreelines.com/dog/show/name/bronwyn-rockefeller
Am/Can CH Apple Acres Fools Gold http://pedigreelines.com/dog/show/name/apple-acres-fools-gold
CH Bronwyn Celestial http://pedigreelines.com/dog/show/name/bronwyn-celestial
CH Bronwyn Babci http://pedigreelines.com/dog/show/name/bronwyn-babci

Granny (Bronwyn Babci) is the exact same coloring/marked almost identically to my Lark :) I personally like a flashy sable merle
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but that's because they hardly look like merles right? If the merling pattern is more obvious they wouldn't have won so many shows I don't think.

Edit: never mind I only looked at the first dog. The rest are pretty obvious sable merles.

I'm just saying That to me it seems it's better to show the more obvious sable merles. At least people won't mistaken them for sables and breed to another Merle right?
 
Last edited:
I guess in Taiwan it's very different. Nobody who ever walked with a sable Merle won at shows. One of the girls in our club even said bringing a controversial colour like that to the show will only make you a joke to laugh at :( they think these champion sable merles from overseas won because the judges were not knowledged enough to know it is not really an official colour for the breed. I hope it's not true!! Anyway sorry for going off topic.
 
Last edited:
When a dog wins at the American shetland sheepdog association and canadian shetland sheepdog association nationals, the dog is truly quality, and the judges are knowledgeable breeder judges putting them up.
So long as the standard includes it in the standard, it is an official color within the breed.
I think it is very narrow minded to dismiss a dog based on color. If it is structurally outstanding, typey, has a wonderful temperament, and correct coat, the fact it is a sable merle shouldn't make a difference. A good dog is a good dog.
 
I'm thinking that the "problems" that Julia is referring to here are the ones that come about when a sable merle is bred to a merle because they were not properly registered (because they weren't correctly identified and registered). I could be wrong, though.

I think you are spot on Ashley.
 
AKC does allow sable merles in the ring. Again, the only problem with them is show breeders generally dislike them. There are numerous AKC champion sable merle shelties out there. Some good examples:
BISS Am/Can CH Laureate Santana ROMC
He also won BOB at the 2006 assa nationals, and was an award of merit winner at the assa nationals 3 times, as well as BOB at the cssa nationals, and best of opposite.
CH Bronwyn Rockefeller http://pedigreelines.com/dog/show/name/bronwyn-rockefeller
Am/Can CH Apple Acres Fools Gold http://pedigreelines.com/dog/show/name/apple-acres-fools-gold
CH Bronwyn Celestial http://pedigreelines.com/dog/show/name/bronwyn-celestial
CH Bronwyn Babci http://pedigreelines.com/dog/show/name/bronwyn-babci

Granny (Bronwyn Babci) is the exact same coloring/marked almost identically to my Lark :) I personally like a flashy sable merle

thanks for posting those- beautiful smerles:yes:
I had only previously seen the first dog.
 
Back
Top