More Issues with Hadley

marymrumfelt

Forums Enthusiast
Hadley went to the doctor last weekend for the incontinence and with the help of the medicine she hasn't had any accidents in her sleep! I did notice, however, she's squatting a lot and then when brushing her there was some blood done there. So we took her back to the vet today and they told me to leave her crated and not let her pee in the AM so they could get a sample. So I did that and Hadley was crazy nervous as she's always more nervous traveling in the crate. The vet finally came out after 30mins and just took her back there by himself. Well she got so nervous that she pooped all over herself when they got her back there! So she pooped and pee'd and they couldn't get a sample and they had to clean her and the crate off. So now they want me to bring her Monday and drop her off all day. Any advice on how to make her less scared? She's really going to think I've dumped her if we drop her off. I really don't want to drop her off!
 
Poor Hadley! I am so sorry that she has to go through this.

Do they think that since there was blood, she has a UTI? Although it must be pretty bad, I would think to see blood.

I would say that leaving her is probably the best thing, so that you can get a diagnosis on her. Too bad you don't have a thundershirt or something to try and keep her calmer. I really don't have too much advice for you here, but know that I am thinking of her.
 
Hmm. My vet gives me the top of a vaccine box and tells me to go for it. They have even sent me home with specimen bottles to bring back. Seems to me that would be better than terrorizing her over a urine sample.
 
Hmm. My vet gives me the top of a vaccine box and tells me to go for it. They have even sent me home with specimen bottles to bring back. Seems to me that would be better than terrorizing her over a urine sample.

I asked if I could bring it in Wednesday, as we have to take Lily in to get her stitches out, and they said they'd prefer a sample directly from her bladder as they can get contaminated or something along those lines. I think I will just follow her around and bring in a sample, though. It will terrify Hadley having to be there all day, and if not a sample, wait until Wednesday and take her with us when we go for the stitches- that way she won't have to be dropped off. She just totally freaks out. :(
 
When I got Chloe's sample for the vet I used the little drip tray from our George Foreman Grill, lol. I figured....our food would never touch that anyway, lol. I run that and a small glass jelly jar through the dishwasher before using. The long tray makes it easy to slide between their legs to catch the sample.

I do believe that in the vet's office, the strip test they use looks for blood in the urine. Therefore, for blood to show up, it wouldn't have to be taken right from the bladder. Then, if the standard ABX for a UTI doesn't work, then they would culture to find the right ABX. I could be wrong on this, but this is how I think it works.

Also, you should be able to just drop off the sample and let them test it. You may not even need to bring Hadley in.
 
I'm sorry to hear about Hadley's probs! My other furry, Klee, had a couple of UTI's in her life and I always got a sample and brought it to the vet's office. They never had any issues testing, etc. I think the George Foreman grease catcher would work great. I always used a bowl or something that could be tipped a bit in catching the sample and not spill. I don't believe they need a lot to test.

Doesn't seem like the best idea to drop her off all day if she's stressed about it the other day. Hopefully the vet will let you get a sample and just drop it off on Monday. Prayers she's feeling much better soon!!! :smile2:
 
I usually use cream cheese containers for pee samples. They seem to be just the right size.

You can collect the urine sample from her using a soup ladle...just remember not to use it again. :winkgrin:
 
I have taken Callie in for the vet to get a sample. I take her outside and the vet tech follows with the ladle to catch the sample. Callie won't go just for them so I have to be there too.
 
I asked if I could bring it in Wednesday, as we have to take Lily in to get her stitches out, and they said they'd prefer a sample directly from her bladder as they can get contaminated or something along those lines. I think I will just follow her around and bring in a sample, though. It will terrify Hadley having to be there all day, and if not a sample, wait until Wednesday and take her with us when we go for the stitches- that way she won't have to be dropped off. She just totally freaks out. :(

I think I have told you in the past Gypsy used to get alot of UTI's. She would always get nervous when I tried getting a sample with a container so I decided to try a plastic soup laddle that comes with a kitchen utensil set and it worked perfectly. You are far enough away with the long handle and the spoon part is perfect size to hold the urine. Than transfer to container. Did he give you any meds to start her on? Gypsy would get blood also and I know it is scary. I sure hope she feels better soon and I feel so bad she gets so panicky when left there. Chandler has the same fears coming from puppymill with over 500 dogs. A horrible start in life like Hadley. Sending prayers she will feel well soon. Let us know what happens Monday.
 
Poor Hadley! My initial though was a UTI as well. When Revel had a prostate infection, I used a stainless steel dog dish which I had sterilised with boiling water, to catch the urine. It was not the greatest idea as he did think initially it had food in(!) but soon got the idea. I have heard that it is sometimes necessary to get a sample via catheterisation but my vets were able to accuratly diagnose the bacteria causing the problem from my samples.

My cousin's yorkie was passing blood and I suggested giving her cranberry juice or tablets in the interim before she could get her to the vets and this seemed to do the trick.

Would they not be able to see what they can get from an unintrusive sample, and only if this dosn't give results, look do putting her through all the stress only if necessary?
 
Back
Top