My poor vacuum!!

My dyson died this week - just couldnt handle the sheltie attacks.

If you have heaps of fur I actually sweep the carpet first with an outdoor broom (one with thick bristles) and it picks up a lot of the fur wads before I vacuum.

That's a GREAT IDEA!!! We bought a Kirby before we got our puppy...but i'll definately be doing this to save wear and tear on the vacuume!
 
Mine still seems to be working but it has sucked up a Sca or two. I am still trying to figure out how he has produced more hair than his size in the last month. Though he is looking trimmer now that he has almost zero under coat. I figure 2-3 more major brushings.....:o
 
Mom had a long-handled scrub brush she would use on the carpet with Noah before vacuuming. Haven't had to yet with Emma.

On a side note about vacuums, saw an article in the paper about a cat in Germany who turned on the vacuum and then had the emergency services come comfort it after a neighbour complaining about the cat meowing the long-running vacuum. The cat was home alone.

It would appear that Emma is now "blowing her coat". She is beginning to run from me when she sees me reach for the basket with the grooming tools. I can hear her yelling - Nooooo Mom, not the dreaded brush. Where are the other Shelties to protect me!
 
Last edited:
I must be blessed. Neither one of my boys has every gone into major coat blowing.

Yeah, I get the odd tumbleweed, but nothing like what you are describing. I can easily go two weeks without brushing the boys (Bacca even longer, though he starts to look straggly) The only drawback is that it sticks in their fur and takes longer to brush out, so I try to do it more often, to avoid major Sheltie pants.

I don't know what causes the difference...environment, diet, too frequent bathes, other supplements given or not given????

For me:

- Full bathes about every 3 months unless necessity says otherwise (e.g. rolled in poo)
- No supplements besides Bacca's meds
- Grain-free, medium protein diet (Now! Senior Maintenance), with a tbsp of Merricks Thanksgiving Day Dinner wet food
- Few treats....lots of carrotts though as fresh veggies are a staple at the cottage for lunch.
- in between bathes, just regular brushing with Show Off and Conditioner.

Like I said, I don't know if I'm blessed, or whether or not there is something in your environment, etc. that could be causing this excessive blowing. (btw - methinks its too early to be blowing coat...fall is not yet upon us, I hope!)
 
Zoey's been shedding quite a bit as well. We don't have much carpets around, but the brush does get full after a pass.

Fortunately, I've been exposing Zoey to the vacuum since I got her, and sometimes I even pass it on her and she does not react to the vacuum at all, nor feel the need to herd it. Hopefully it stays that way.
 
Bailey is just like Bacca and Indy. Her shedding has not been that bad. In fact, she was laying on my black pants yesterday and only left behind 2 strands of fur.

Bailey does get vibrant pets supplement and is not on grain free food, which is unlike Barb's dogs.

Her undercoat does come out when I brush her. I was brushing her every other day last month. Now i only brush one or two times a week. She does shed a lot after a bath, but she only gets a bath every 2-3 months.

I hope she stays this way!
 
Lady is shedding, and Lucky is really shedding. Could be the weather, with a 110 index. They only run out to do their business during the day. Early in the morning and the evening they are out a little bit more.

We had 4 heat alert days last summer, and I believe we are almost at 30. So possibly maybe the weather has something to do with it, what do I know.

I bought a Fur B Gone to help out here. Love it. Of course the vac is being run often.
 
I got a trash bag out of Noah a week and a half ago and today I got another garbage bag full....just when you think hes done...:lol:
 
Justice seems to be done blowing his coat now. But Ember is shedding a bit more now:( She blew a small amount of fur a month and half ago and lost the cotton ball look. But she still has tons of undercoat. She was so hot at agility last night. But everyone commented on how good she looks still.

Poor Pike is about naked. He has blown out tons of undercoat and his tail is sickly looking he is so naked. The only thing I've seen look worse is a bitch after puppies.

Question for anyone who might know. Pike was neutered 2 months ago just as he was starting to blow his coat. Nothing else has changed. I told Rachel I thought that the neutering was the cause of this huge coat loss this time. it will grow back but not be big or the same texture. He always has had a soft coat anyway so I think it will get really soft.
I remember Ember blowing coat really bad after her spay and then she didn't lose coat for over 2 yrs.
 
One thing I noticed the last week or so with Emma is that she is matting more behind the ears now that she is losing fur and when I brushed there tonight, there was a lot of loose fur. She has mats but not this bad (at least three or four behind each ear and below the ear). Her fur is really silky there and sticks up a lot around the ears anyways. Has anyone else noticed more matting when the dogs are blowing coats?
 
Back
Top