Need help getting Bella to eat

When my parent's dog won't eat (I babysit him when they're away) I usually pour a little goat's milk on it. I think the smell of it gets him interested. When that doesn't work, I cook him up some venison. They both have stronger scents, maybe that's what he likes. Hope this helps with your gal <3
 
Thank you for your advice, Sharon. We got the ultrasound appt tomorrow with an internal med specialist so we'll see what they say. Our trip is in Florida and the Caribbean... I keep hoping they will cancel it with Dorian happening, because on top of that while we're on the ship communication will be limited. :( I don't think I can get out of the cruise without losing about the entire amount we paid (which is about $3k). Maybe flights will be a nightmare so we can't get down there on time, we'll see. She is on anti nausea meds (two actually) and an appetite stimulant, so I keep hoping those will kick in. :(

Oh my Kerri, talk about being hit on all sides... I sure hope they cancel the cruise for all involved...
Glad you could get the ultrasound scheduled so quickly. Good for you.

Prayers for positive news on the trip and for Bella.
 
I feel so bad for you...worrying about Bella while ltrying to leave on what sounds like a dream vacation when of course you'll worry more. What dreadful timing! I so hope you get some answers from the ultrasound so you can go away with some peace of mind. Just a thought...does your vet board animals? Some do, and that might be a good solution for Bella while you're gone so she'd be where she could get immediate care if she needed it. That might make it easier on you too. Sending good thoughts your way and pats to Bella.
 
Just a thought...does your vet board animals? Some do, and that might be a good solution for Bella while you're gone so she'd be where she could get immediate care if she needed it. That might make it easier on you too. Sending good thoughts your way and pats to Bella.

Great suggestion Ann!
My vet does board.
 
Our regular vet doesn't board (they don't have anyone there overnight) - it's a Banfield inside PetSmart, which does have a hotel, but they wouldn't let her in there without the right vaccine so many hours ahead of time. This one we're seeing today might board, but not sure if overnights have to go through the ER section - I'm already afraid of today's bill when we go - thank God for CareCredit!

She did eat last night (yay!) - a couple different times, so that was encouraging. And we gave her 300ml of sub q's which she took like a champ. I'm feeling a little better going into today's appointment, but trying to be realistic as well. I'll be interested to see what they say and recommend as far as treatment plans. Our vet had said to give her 300ml of sub q's twice a day... that seems like so much, but I know flushing the kidneys is important. I'll be asking them what they think as the specialists. Have any of you had to do that for kidneys, and how much did you do?

Thanks again for all of your words of encouragement. I truly appreciate it!
Kerri
 
Our regular vet doesn't board (they don't have anyone there overnight) - it's a Banfield inside PetSmart, which does have a hotel, but they wouldn't let her in there without the right vaccine so many hours ahead of time. This one we're seeing today might board, but not sure if overnights have to go through the ER section - I'm already afraid of today's bill when we go - thank God for CareCredit!

She did eat last night (yay!) - a couple different times, so that was encouraging. And we gave her 300ml of sub q's which she took like a champ. I'm feeling a little better going into today's appointment, but trying to be realistic as well. I'll be interested to see what they say and recommend as far as treatment plans. Our vet had said to give her 300ml of sub q's twice a day... that seems like so much, but I know flushing the kidneys is important. I'll be asking them what they think as the specialists. Have any of you had to do that for kidneys, and how much did you do?

Thanks again for all of your words of encouragement. I truly appreciate it!
Kerri

I believe I did 100 mg 2x a day for my Logan.

Here are the details from my post from Logan’s charges...
The vet office charges $30 each SubQ visit. He has been getting them every 3rd day. So, that would mean approx 10x a month at a cost of $300.

I worked out the charges if I did it at home.
A bag is $20 and he can get 3 treatments out of it. With the cost of the needles @$3.00 for a 5 pack, that would be $66 per month.

Definitely affordable. Hard to say how long you can keep them going with this support. Logan eventually passed from a blood clot.

If you want more information from others who helped me when Logan was at this stage, here is the link:
https://sheltieforums.com/threads/prayers-for-logan-please.26980/page-20

Good luck for your test today!
 
So today was the big vet appointment. Not great news for Bella, unfortunately. She is stage 3 kidney disease, she also has a bad gallbladder (mococele) and high blood pressure. Bloodwork has been sent off to Texas A&M I think, and waiting on a few other things to come back. He said life expectancy is about 9 to 12 months for the kidneys alone. :( Sent us home with some new meds and took away some that our primary was giving her. The doctor was great, very proactive, very expensive lol. Talked about gallbladder surgery, but also how it has a 30% morbidity rate. And if she has 9-12 months at best to go? *sigh*

So we are doing sub-q's every night. She ate really well tonight and last night (big sigh of relief). Not back to the kibble, but hopefully with these meds adjustments we'll get there. The pit in my stomach for now is surprisingly gone. For now. But I know the road ahead isn't going to be an easy one. I'm thankful for our house sitter... she is a professional pet sitter on the side, has been with them the last few years we've traveled and knows them well. And has done sub q's meds, enticing to eat, so I know they're in good hands.

Thank you again for all of your support and ideas!
 
I hope she rebounds and has a good quality of life for however long you have her.
Quite a few of us here have Shelties with cancer/chronic diseases/etc. so we understand the gamut of emotions.
Please use the forum to vent, to laugh, to cry with on this journey.
 
I hope she rebounds and has a good quality of life for however long you have her.
Quite a few of us here have Shelties with cancer/chronic diseases/etc. so we understand the gamut of emotions.
Please use the forum to vent, to laugh, to cry with on this journey.

Well said Cindy! I don’t know what I would have done without the help and support of the Sheltie Nation Forum.
 
Back
Top