Need help getting Bella to eat

I am so glad you got your ultrasound done. At least you know where you stand and what you are dealing with and are becoming proactive.

My first sheltie passed away from gall bladder disease and I had no idea about it. You are now armed with information and can move forward more confidently.

Glad you have a professional pet sitter who understands the current diagnosis and can give meds and administer sub-q fluids. It is critical to watch for any small changes an seek vet visits when needed.

Good luck to you! We are here for you. Have a wonderful trip.
 
I have two Shelties who have had their gallbladders removed due to mucoceles, and another two on meds and regular ultradsounds who are at risk for GBM. They're doing great. I have one who has survived two kinds of cancer AND gallbladder removal and is nearly 13. She acts like she's 5. So keep the faith...Bella may surprise you. She's in good hands and is getting the best care. Enjoy your trip and enjoy Bella when you return.
 
For me, it was always better to know what was happening than trying to guess, so I'm glad you had the specialist appointment and have a better picture of what's going on with Bella. Great that you have a petsitter who can handle her care while you are gone. I'm sorry to hear she has more issues than just the kidneys. My Ally also had multiple issues at the end which made it a real challenge, but we were able to stabilize her and give her a decent quality of life for a good 6 months.

Hoping Bella responds well to treatment and you have good, quality time left to enjoy each other. :hugs
 
Thanks everyone! We are getting ready to get on our cruise today. Nervous about being out of touch. Bella actually ate her prescription kidney kibble for a few meals and then switched back to canned. Not sure if that just had to do with her or if I should be more concerned about it. She is eating and right now that’s what’s important I guess. I just told our sitter to keep an eye on her and call and ask the vet if she gets concerned at all. The new vet made a few meds changes, so I don’t know if one of them isn’t as effective (one was an antacid, and then the cerenia he bumped to every other day and added a different nausea med as well). We’ll see how she does.

Thanks again for all your help! I was on here when our Sheltie Dakota had seizures, and you were all such a tremendous help during that time as well. I really do appreciate it this space to share about our babies.

Kerri
 
Just thought I would post an update on Bella... we've been home for almost a week now and she's been doing okay. She's been eating pretty well. Was eating all kidney prescription food until Thursday, but she's still hungry and eating. I switched to Royal Canin's kidney kibble and she is eating that, plus we got her phosphate binder and started that today. Re-check labs and her blood pressure next Wednesday. When we got home, her nose was swollen... from fluids? Maybe her proteins are dropping? (albumin, right?) That's what the dr's think it is. But it seems directly related to her fluids - we gave them last night and this morning she was retaining fluids still... snoring. By tomorrow she should be back to normal. So I don't know if it is the low proteins and the fluids are causing her to retain/not process them as much? Has anyone had that happen?

She's such a sweet girl - you just hate watching them go through all of this. :(
 
I certainly wish I had words of wisdom to share on this medical issue. But, unfortunately I have never encountered it before. Hopefully, someone on the forum has and can help!

I know what you mean by not giving up and hating to see them in any distress. At least she is eating and the fluids are helping. Fingers and paws crossed all goes well at the next vet visit.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ann
Her face is still puffy today - almost worse. Makes me wonder if it’s a drug reaction or something. She is snoring when she lays down but seems okay otherwise. Ugh.
 
Also, they have her on two blood pressure meds. One of them was added right before we came home, as well as plavix, so If it is med related, I would look to either of those as being the culprit.
 
Gosh, never thought about it but it sure does sound like a drug reaction!!! Did you ask the vet about it?
 
I did but they seem to think it’s albumin levels/protein loss. I think until her blood is re-checked it will be hard to know for sure. That and a blood pressure check is set for Wednesday or we can take her to the ER (connected to the specialist) this weekend if we get too concerned.
 
Back
Top