Piper update

Sorry I'm late in joining in, but SO very glad to hear Piper is doing so well. Sounds like he is already figuring out how to eat with his new mouth. They are amazingly resilient, thank God.
Aside from trying to scratch his neck (I noticed this evening he has a bit of razor burn where they shaved him) to which I put some vitamin E cream on it, he is doing amazingly well considering it just over 24 hours since his surgery (his incision looks really good). The pain seems minimal from what I can see,( however I have been giving him the gabapentin every 8 hours so far) and today Piper was back to much of his normal routine. Following me everywhere, mooching from my mom (I have to keep a close eye on my mom that she doesn’t give Piper anything she shouldn’t) and wanting to eat constantly and barking! Can you believe I worried there was something wrong when he hadn’t barked in almost 24 hours? His first bark was this morning and he hasn’t stopped since!
He’s sleeping in the puppy pen again tonight, more because I’m worried about the other dogs but I think tomorrow night there’ll be no keeping him off the bed.
I was in the spare bedroom this evening IMG_5013.jpeg IMG_5012.jpeg and suddenly I noticed Piper wasn’t around…I found him on my bed against my pillow.
 
It is amazing how fast the bounce back. I would be laid up for weeks!
No kidding! Not quite 48 hours post and he’s doing amazing. I’ve been giving him the gabapentin every 8 hours so far so don’t know if it’s that or that the pain level is low but you’d think from having most of the lower jaw removed the pain would be excruciating and yet he seems fine. Certainly the first day was the worst but he’s his normal self now (of course he’s also on the metacam).
 
Piper looks wonderful! Comfortable, relaxed like nothing ever happened. I'm so happy to hear how well he's done!

I found with Flurry the first week that the pain meds were a necessity and I kept up the every-8-hour gabapentin for a full week plus the pain med. I found when we got close to that 8-hour mark if she didn't get her pill she'd pace and pant some, which to me was a sign she needed the meds. Staying on top of the pain makes all the difference.

Pats to precious Piper!!
 
Piper looks wonderful! Comfortable, relaxed like nothing ever happened. I'm so happy to hear how well he's done!

I found with Flurry the first week that the pain meds were a necessity and I kept up the every-8-hour gabapentin for a full week plus the pain med. I found when we got close to that 8-hour mark if she didn't get her pill she'd pace and pant some, which to me was a sign she needed the meds. Staying on top of the pain makes all the difference.

Pats to precious Piper!!
Thanks for that info Ann…I have been noticing Piper panting more at times. Good to know, I’ll definitely keep up the 8 hours for the gabapentin. I think I'll also call the vet and see if we could add something in for a few days. I noticed it more since yesterday afternoon.
 
He's just doing incredibly well. They are amazing in how they just get on with it - Eli was the same except not wanting to eat anything canned or the lowfat kibble. He only would eat his regular kibble, so I put him back on that until I found the new Fromm food that he likes. I did the gabapentin as well. Piper looks pretty darn good. I know you must be so relieved.
 
Back
Top