Puppy Picking

This is the reason I asked the original question about picking for agility :smile2:
My Callahan was the most laid back boy--he ate slow, he walked slow, and I have a picture of him literally smelling the flowers on a walk. I can see the "you've got to be freakin kidding me" look on his face if I ever tried to get him to jump over anything LOL

sounds like Everett's twin..:wink2:
 
This is the reason I asked the original question about picking for agility :smile2:
My Callahan was the most laid back boy--he ate slow, he walked slow, and I have a picture of him literally smelling the flowers on a walk. I can see the "you've got to be freakin kidding me" look on his face if I ever tried to get him to jump over anything LOL
If this is why, I would honestly go for the most adventures puppy, the one looking around at everything and exploring. They tend to be the stubborn ones though. but it would be the puppy that would love trying agility the most.
 
sounds like Everett's twin..:wink2:

sounds like ajax too :rolleyes2: he only plays fetch when he feels like it. for maybe 3 times... then the 4th time half way to the ball he'd go drink some water, or totally ignore the ball when he sees it.

Alfie on the other hand sounds like he would make a great agility dog! Although he's stubby and can't really jump but he's fast and has the drive to do so :P

very interesting to see how an agility pup is picked out. Is there a quick way to tell without making a tippy board though? I like the agility type puppies, but I think the breeders will think I'm nuts if I carry a tippy board to their house lol
 
sounds like ajax too :rolleyes2: he only plays fetch when he feels like it. for maybe 3 times... then the 4th time half way to the ball he'd go drink some water, or totally ignore the ball when he sees it.

Alfie on the other hand sounds like he would make a great agility dog! Although he's stubby and can't really jump but he's fast and has the drive to do so :P

very interesting to see how an agility pup is picked out. Is there a quick way to tell without making a tippy board though? I like the agility type puppies, but I think the breeders will think I'm nuts if I carry a tippy board to their house lol
some agility showers also breed their agility dogs, this would be a good place to look for a puppy for agility. Both my parents recent puppy and mine come from agility breeders. It doesn't mean you'll get a performance puppy though, but my boy sure is a pistol. Also with this, if you bring a tippy board they won't look at you funny. My breeder actually gave the puppies a wobble ball (forget the real name) in their pen while they were growing up. My pup along with a few others were leaping off of it and standing on it perfectly fine. Basically, any pup that is exploring around, climbing, jumping etc is going to make a good agility prospect.
 
some agility showers also breed their agility dogs, this would be a good place to look for a puppy for agility. Both my parents recent puppy and mine come from agility breeders. It doesn't mean you'll get a performance puppy though, but my boy sure is a pistol. Also with this, if you bring a tippy board they won't look at you funny. My breeder actually gave the puppies a wobble ball (forget the real name) in their pen while they were growing up. My pup along with a few others were leaping off of it and standing on it perfectly fine. Basically, any pup that is exploring around, climbing, jumping etc is going to make a good agility prospect.

thank you for your input :) Only one problem... there is no agility sport where I live:gaah but i do like the personality of agility pups, I know I want a puppy with moderate drive I can play frisbees or fetch with (but is not crazy) and not noise reactive. I think I can tell which ones are more outgoing, but how to differentiate between moderate and crazy I'm not so sure. Is this a pup that will hesitate a bit before coming to you?
 
thank you for your input :) Only one problem... there is no agility sport where I live:gaah but i do like the personality of agility pups, I know I want a puppy with moderate drive I can play frisbees or fetch with (but is not crazy) and not noise reactive. I think I can tell which ones are more outgoing, but how to differentiate between moderate and crazy I'm not so sure. Is this a pup that will hesitate a bit before coming to you?
awe that's sucky for sure. honestly, when they are that young (usually bring home puppy at 8 weeks) you cant' fully tell their personalities. It would be hard to tell if its a nutso pup or a playful pup at that age as all puppies play bite, etc. A puppy that hesitates before seeing you is just a proper sheltie being bread. All shelties are suppose to be reserved at first then come to you, so I honestly don't think that would be a good test. Take my male puppy, he is very VERY reserved when someone new enters our apartment to the point he'll hide behind me until he gets used to them there. Then he'll be a nutso again, but still reserved.
 
awe that's sucky for sure. honestly, when they are that young (usually bring home puppy at 8 weeks) you cant' fully tell their personalities. It would be hard to tell if its a nutso pup or a playful pup at that age as all puppies play bite, etc. A puppy that hesitates before seeing you is just a proper sheltie being bread. All shelties are suppose to be reserved at first then come to you, so I honestly don't think that would be a good test. Take my male puppy, he is very VERY reserved when someone new enters our apartment to the point he'll hide behind me until he gets used to them there. Then he'll be a nutso again, but still reserved.

Actually if you read the standard it says they can be reserved, not that they are supposed to be. I actually do not like a sheltie that hangs back and hides for my performance dog. They shouldn't throw themselves all over you like a golden(OMG my long lost friend) but they should approach you readily to check you out, in my opinion. Others may disagree. Birch is actual reserved but he was the first puppy to approach as a baby. He is like oh hi, yep I see you there. back to my business.

The breeder should be able to tell you who they think is the super wild one vs the medium wild one. We spend alot of time with them and the one fling themselves off of everything, climbing and jumping is likely to be the high drive one.
 
Do make sure that you explain you need sound structure, even though they are a conformation breeder. Many of the conformation breeders don't get agility, and what it takes. You will want a dog with sound structure, a good solid temperament, drive, will to please, and not noise sensitive.
 
Actually if you read the standard it says they can be reserved, not that they are supposed to be. I actually do not like a sheltie that hangs back and hides for my performance dog. They shouldn't throw themselves all over you like a golden(OMG my long lost friend) but they should approach you readily to check you out, in my opinion. Others may disagree. Birch is actual reserved but he was the first puppy to approach as a baby. He is like oh hi, yep I see you there. back to my business.

The breeder should be able to tell you who they think is the super wild one vs the medium wild one. We spend alot of time with them and the one fling themselves off of everything, climbing and jumping is likely to be the high drive one.

I see, thank you justicemom! So asking the breeder is my best bet. Actually, I'm not sure if alfie is considered high drive or medium drive for a sheltie. He basically cant stop moving during the day. Always playing either with his mates or his toys. And if there is someone there he'll pick up a toy and put it next to you, hoping you'd throw it for him. But he also gets tired quickly, after about 10,15throws. He'll leave you alone for 2hrs or so,before coming back agian. He also gets very tired from walks(20mins of fetch+10mins walk) and will sleep straight away after we come back, but bounces back in a few hrs too. My last dog was a cattledog mix so I'm totally ok with alfie's energy level but is this what you guys would classify as a high drive sheltie?

here he is begging you to throw his toy :o

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/255407_10151200391672044_1190330091_n.jpg

sorry I'm not sure if its ok to ask questions on other people thread, if it's inappropriate please let me know.
 
Last edited:
Yes the breeder should be able to help you. But you need to know what you are looking for in a puppy and be specific if they do not compete themselves in dog sports. Drive means different things to different people. I sometimes think drive gets confused with hyperactive by some.

I found this link and it sums it up in my mind.

http://www.highdrivedogs.com/whatisaHDD.html

When I picked Birch I watch the litter from the day they were born. I saw he was into me and wanted to interact with me not just do his own thing. He loved toys and would readily chase a tug, a thrown object and he even showed a desire to tug as a tiny baby. He explored, his checked things out nor was he afraid to do so. He was active and like to do such things not just sit and watch the other puppies, he was always right there-me,me,me pick me. He also showed great problem solving skills even as a young puppy. I call him the puzzle master now. I considered him a high drive dog but he is sane.

Like Stacey also mention atructure is so important, he was sound and well put togther so his body can handle his energry. I knew what I wanted and I gave up my dream of showing in conformation with my own dog for him. I have not been disappointed.
 
Back
Top