Puppy Picking

Actually if you read the standard it says they can be reserved, not that they are supposed to be. I actually do not like a sheltie that hangs back and hides for my performance dog. They shouldn't throw themselves all over you like a golden(OMG my long lost friend) but they should approach you readily to check you out, in my opinion. Others may disagree. Birch is actual reserved but he was the first puppy to approach as a baby. He is like oh hi, yep I see you there. back to my business.

The breeder should be able to tell you who they think is the super wild one vs the medium wild one. We spend alot of time with them and the one fling themselves off of everything, climbing and jumping is likely to be the high drive one.
interesting, I've always been told they should be reserved. My boy isn't reserved towards me ever even when i picked him out and picked him up, just other people/some sounds.
 
Yes the breeder should be able to help you. But you need to know what you are looking for in a puppy and be specific if they do not compete themselves in dog sports. Drive means different things to different people. I sometimes think drive gets confused with hyperactive by some.

I found this link and it sums it up in my mind.

http://www.highdrivedogs.com/whatisaHDD.html

When I picked Birch I watch the litter from the day they were born. I saw he was into me and wanted to interact with me not just do his own thing. He loved toys and would readily chase a tug, a thrown object and he even showed a desire to tug as a tiny baby. He explored, his checked things out nor was he afraid to do so. He was active and like to do such things not just sit and watch the other puppies, he was always right there-me,me,me pick me. He also showed great problem solving skills even as a young puppy. I call him the puzzle master now. I considered him a high drive dog but he is sane.

Like Stacey also mention atructure is so important, he was sound and well put togther so his body can handle his energry. I knew what I wanted and I gave up my dream of showing in conformation with my own dog for him. I have not been disappointed.

Oh geez Missy is all of those bullet points! Except she struggles with focus sometimes.. but I figure that has to do with her being young.
 
Oh geez Missy is all of those bullet points! Except she struggles with focus sometimes.. but I figure that has to do with her being young.

Ugh Bailey is a yes to all of those too and is also a little timid. Some days it is such a struggle. I really wish my breeder informed me of this, but she is such a little ham and a sweetie.
 
Fillion's breeder did a good job steering me to him, even though I thought I wanted a girl this time. At 10 1/2 weeks he's fetching like a mad man, runs like the wind and so far isn't sound sensitive (startles but recovers quickly). My problem with him will be keeping him from killing himself before he's allowed to jump! He takes flying leaps off the steps (already hurt a leg once--but he's ok), can't be on the bed because WHEEEE off he'll go. He prefers to boing instead of walk :lol: He's very interested in people so far too.
 
Fillion's breeder did a good job steering me to him, even though I thought I wanted a girl this time. At 10 1/2 weeks he's fetching like a mad man, runs like the wind and so far isn't sound sensitive (startles but recovers quickly). My problem with him will be keeping him from killing himself before he's allowed to jump! He takes flying leaps off the steps (already hurt a leg once--but he's ok), can't be on the bed because WHEEEE off he'll go. He prefers to boing instead of walk :lol: He's very interested in people so far too.
my pup who is 13 weeks tomorrow has been doing steps since he was 8 1/2 weeks.. my parents, breeder and vet all said its perfectly fine. He also jumps off our high bed, our couch, steps etc. needless to say, he doesn't break easily. That being said, he is also a big boy with being 13 inches at 11 1/2 weeks.
 
Fillion will be 11 weeks tomorrow and I think he grew an inch this week--he's about 10"! I may be feeding too much, he gained over half a lb this week-6 and quarter lbs. If that sounds a bit heavy for his size, somebody please let me know!
 
Fillion's breeder did a good job steering me to him, even though I thought I wanted a girl this time. At 10 1/2 weeks he's fetching like a mad man, runs like the wind and so far isn't sound sensitive (startles but recovers quickly). My problem with him will be keeping him from killing himself before he's allowed to jump! He takes flying leaps off the steps (already hurt a leg once--but he's ok), can't be on the bed because WHEEEE off he'll go. He prefers to boing instead of walk :lol: He's very interested in people so far too.

bahahhaha
omg that sounds like Leo!!!
boing boing boing and wheeeee...
 
Fillion will be 11 weeks tomorrow and I think he grew an inch this week--he's about 10"! I may be feeding too much, he gained over half a lb this week-6 and quarter lbs. If that sounds a bit heavy for his size, somebody please let me know!
how much does he weigh total? my pup usually does an inch a week of growth.. when he was 8 weeks he was 10 inches 10 lbs :eek2:. however, it does look like he didn't grow at all this week in the up part.. he def. got longer though.
 
Fillion will be 11 weeks tomorrow and I think he grew an inch this week--he's about 10"! I may be feeding too much, he gained over half a lb this week-6 and quarter lbs. If that sounds a bit heavy for his size, somebody please let me know!

10'' at 11 weeks is a good size. Here is a sheltie puppy growth chart: http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/size/size.html

10'' and 6 1/4 pounds puts him right in the normal size range and on track to possibly be between 14-15 inches as an adult. Of course we all know sheltie's growth patterns have a mind of their own, so his size can certainly change. Don't be shocked if at some point he jumps to the oversized range. Good luck!
 
That chart shows him spot on! Are there other charts because when I told the breeder this last night on FB, she said he was about 1/2" undersize which she thought was a good thing given boys grow longer. But I think she is right to doubt my measuring ablility--I don't know exactly how to "stack" him and he is hard to hold still and measure at the same time :lol: He was the smallest of the litter and if he stays small I'm fine with that! I just don't want him to get fat!
 
Back
Top