Rhiannon

Tagg

Forums Enthusiast
As some of you might know, our Terv girl, Rhiannon has been anorexic for the past few months. Every day is a challenge to get enough calories into her without resulting loose stools. She has had CBC and Chem Panels X2, 2 sets of xrays, urinalysis and lipase tests and an ultrasound but nothing is showing why she is no longer able to eat. With a lot of tempting and work we have managed to put 2 lbs back on her. Yesterday, she was playing fetch with hubby when she suddenly dropped her back end and came up on three legs. Xrays confirmed a broken toe - just like that. She didn't twist but the ground is soft so we can only surmise that her toenail went into the ground and didn't come up with the leg. If it was a healthy dog we could pin the toe or amputate but each requires anesthetic and she is not a candidate at this time. We have decided to put her on Metacam and rest. The break will never knit back together but she might be able to manage on it. I am preparing for the black days to come as we are closing in on another loss here. Hug your dogs.
 
I am so sorry. It is so hard to see our beloved friends getting old, and knowing at times we can do nothing for them. Take care Joanne. :hugs
 
It is always heartbreaking to know you are headed for borrowed time with a little soul you love. I hope Rhiannon can be comfortable on the Metacam...it should help. Toe injuries are the pits since you can't splint or cast them.

Sending good thoughts...

Trini
 
Tagg, I'm so sad to read this news about your Rhiannon, this can't be an easy time for either of you. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
 
I'm so sorry, Tagg. It's heartbreaking to watch your beloved dog each day and not know when the time will come. Sending you hugs and prayers. I hope your remaining time with Rhiannon is full of peace and love. :hugs
 
Thanks all. We are pretty devastated here. This will be the hardest decision we will have ever had to have made because we don't know why she is like this now. She is a sweet, kind and gentle girl that became my husband's full time nurse when he was so ill. Tinsel follows her around and lays beside her even though she has gotten snarky with him a couple of times. Even the vet has fallen for her charms, of which she has many. My grandson adores her and he often lays on the couch watching TV with his arm around her ruff and her sitting, sleeping in front of him. He was 2 when she came and he used to call her Rhi ON ON. I keep hoping that something will change and I pray that I will have the guidance to not let her suffer. Watching her struggle now with mobility is painful. I have to trust that she will let me know when she has had enough.
 
Back
Top