Shampoo

Still looking for the right shampoo for Diva, she is still getting her adult coat and haven't found a shampoo that doesn't make her coat overly soft. She doesn't have any undercoat right now.:(

have you ever thought about using shampoo for terriers? it is supposed to keep their coats harsh feeling, so maybe you could use it on Diva and it wouldnt soften her coat. Just a thought dont know if it would work or not :smile2:
 
I have not ever let it set 10 minutes,on a small pup,just learning what bath time is all about,I would find this next to impossible. When I used it on Earnhardt,no I did'nt let it set that long either. And he'll stay in a tub indefinately if I let him~

I do like the product,as it does not take much,but as far as fragrance,it's nearly nill. I'm kinda a fragrance person. BUT..if you use the other products,after bath & conditioner,now those have a nice fragrance.They look and feel wonderful after the bath.

Of course I'm only dealing with new puppy coat here on Trapp,so it will be interesting as his coat gets thicker.
Got some white on white coming for Sca. It says no bleeching so it sounded right. He is mostly white/black so I don't want to prematurely gray him :eek2: Any tips?
 
From my personal experience with the Chris Christensen shampoo line it softens the hair. I even talked with a Professional Handler and she mentioned that fact. If you have a sheltie that has a naturally soft coat... Chris Christensen is not for you.
For those soft coats use 1 All Systems, Crisp Coat Shampoo. It is a really nice shampoo.
I also like the Plush Puppy line. They have some of the coolest products. Something for everyone. And, when I've used the Mousse at a show.... Mmmm it smells soooo good! :smile2: Not overpowering, just good. And, the smell last for days.
 
This may sound weird but I use good, old fashioned, blue Dawn dish soap on Edan. Actually, most of the local breeders use it because (1) it's inexpensive, (2) it does a GREAT job, and (3) is gentle on both the fur and skin. It's 100% safe for use on animals; in fact one of the commercials they run shows wild life rescue teams using Dawn to clean birds coated in oil. He actually smells fantastic when he's finished and, best of all, the smell is not overpowering.
 
Got some white on white coming for Sca. It says no bleeching so it sounded right. He is mostly white/black so I don't want to prematurely gray him :eek2: Any tips?

White on White is a brightner,it is not any type of dye or chemical additive. After doing much reading on all three of the systems,I opted for the White on White.As it says it is safe for all coat colors,and will enhance white or light colored dogs.
Since Earnhardt is very light cream & pure white in areas,it made his coat look lucious. And Trapp looked & felt wonderful after his bath.

I will not opt to buy the shampoo again..and its purely me being a fragrance person.I will however continue to buy the Ice on Ice,conditioners,after bath for Trapp. I love all 3 of them. Shampoo (CC)has nill for fragrance,but the other three smell so good.

In response to Silaria..Using Dawn dish soap,I do know is very gentle,many people use it,as well as good ole baby shampoo. The dawn however did have a tendancy to dry Earnhardt's coat even more than what it was,as since he has a skin,allergy issue,we discontinued using it. Hedid smell very clean & fresh!

I've read lots about Mane & Tail,I did not like that stuff at all. I have a gigundo big bottle still unused.I guess I'll use it to wash gourds!:yes:
 
In response to Silaria..Using Dawn dish soap,I do know is very gentle,many people use it,as well as good ole baby shampoo. The dawn however did have a tendancy to dry Earnhardt's coat even more than what it was,as since he has a skin,allergy issue,we discontinued using it. Hedid smell very clean & fresh!

I've also read that people use Pantene and Suave on their dog's fur. :dead: I wouldn't put Pantene or Suave on MY hair. I'm sure not putting it on my dog's fur! Panetene and Suave are very, very waxy shampoos.
 
I Swear By Mane and Tail

I've been using Mane and Tail Shampoo and conditioner for over a year now. A couple of people on the forum mentioned it so I thought I'd give it a try.

It's great! It gets out all of the loose fur that she's shedding, more so than other shampoo's I've used, including supposed de-shedding shampoos. After a bath her fur is always super soft and the white almost glows! I'd considered buying a seperate shampoo for her rough but its not necessary now.

It has a very pleasant smell that is not strong at all.

In addition to working great, its extremely cheap. I picked up a bottle at Walmart in the dog section for $7-8 dollars, and it comes in a much larger size than the usual dog shampoo (32 oz).

I've read that many people use it on their own hair and I've been considering it!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/204361/product_review_the_original_mane_n.html?cat=69
 
Great thread, guys!

And thanks for the suggestions for ultra soft coat....that's Indy - so while I generally love CC products, I will steer clear of the shampoos for him.

Bacca could probably benefit from the CC clarifying shampoo as his coat tends to get an oily feel after awhile....he doesn't need a bath (e.g. feet and bum clean, and white is white). Maybe this shampoo will delay the oilyness a few more weeks.

Has anybody ever tried bringing their own shampoo to the groomer and asking him/her to use that, instead of what the groomer would normally use? I'm a little fragrance sensitive, and I find the shampoo they use overwhelming!

I too have a full bottle of Mane and Tail (after OntarioShelties advice) but since I've never bathed my dogs myself, I've never actually used it. Curious to see what it would do to my hair! Must try it sometime (on a day where having a bad hair day would be excusable....does such a day EVER come about? :biggrin2:)
 
Back
Top