Shelties, Pancreatitis, Gallbladder Disease, & Commercial Food

Thank you for this post!

You are very welcome. I have my rescue girl, Melli, with unknown past and I want to do the best for her and for young Cubby. Eva spoke and I listened. I really think shelties might be the "canaries in the coal mine" on gallbladder / pancreas but in a whole lifetime I think we will see other breeds showing this.

They only went to this high protein / high fat thing in the last about 6 years or so. Before that things were more balanced. I tend to think balance is better than crazy high anything.
 
Thank you for this post! I appreciate you sharing your research...I have lost my rescued sheltie, Rico, to a gallbladder mucocele one short year after he blessed my life....
I am trying to do whatever possible to prevent my current two shelties, Lucy and Elliot, from the same fate.
Thanks again!!

Did you see the thread warning about using some flea products in shelties? http://sheltieforums.com/threads/gallbladder-mucoceles.24432/#post-347600
The findings were there appears to be a link between using the product imidacloprid and gallbladder mucoceles in Shelties. Imidacloprid is in the Advantage products. I've never had a dog with GMD but decided to avoid Advantage products to be safe.
 
Absolutely! I saw that study. Advantix & Advantage are off the table. They found a strong link, good enough for me. I wondered, though, what the diet was for those dogs. Is it only imidacloprid when paired with high fat? What about a low fat diet? Would shelties get the mucocele with any diet and other dogs with high fat? I would love to get into that study and really learn about the data. However, clearly, that ingredient affects this.
 
If it is premade by a company, they should label it. If it is premade by you, there are resources that help you plan the meals appropriately and they should be able to guide you. I am reading a really good one by Dr. Dodds I got off Amazon (E-book). However, I am not sure raw reacts the same as processed because many of the fats added are not from meat sources, they are from other forms. Protein is much more forgiving than fat so it's doubtful you would be over-proteining it off raw.
 
If it is premade by a company, they should label it. If it is premade by you, there are resources that help you plan the meals appropriately and they should be able to guide you. I am reading a really good one by Dr. Dodds I got off Amazon (E-book). However, I am not sure raw reacts the same as processed because many of the fats added are not from meat sources, they are from other forms. Protein is much more forgiving than fat so it's doubtful you would be over-proteining it off raw.
I would like to see if those who have fed their sheltie a raw food diet if they have had this as a health issue, or is it primarily linked to kibble and canned.
 
Ok, I got the Fromm large breed that you mentioned and have slowly introduced it over a week. Stools are soft, formed but soft. Does this mean they are allergic to the ingredients?

My Laddie who has pancreatitis issues seems to have a sensitive stomach. Any suggestions?

Was thinking of trying Addictions is that helps the loose stool issues!
Could it be some other ingredient...I know Fromm has chicken cartilage as an ingredient in some of the flavors. I think that is why I stuck with the Lamb flavor because of my previous sheltie's have trouble with poultry. Maybe that is the soft pooh irritant.
 
You can also call the company and ask for specifics on nutrition. I previously had a diabetic dog, so I needed the nutritional breakdown on everything to make sure his food and insulin balanced out. They were always happy to help me when I explained the situation.
 
I would like to see if those who have fed their sheltie a raw food diet if they have had this as a health issue, or is it primarily linked to kibble and canned.

I agree. This really needs to be fully analyzed. Is it commercial only? All? Linked to something as a trigger (such as the Advantix) so you must have several factors line up right?
 
If it is premade by a company, they should label it. If it is premade by you, there are resources that help you plan the meals appropriately and they should be able to guide you. I am reading a really good one by Dr. Dodds I got off Amazon (E-book). However, I am not sure raw reacts the same as processed because many of the fats added are not from meat sources, they are from other forms. Protein is much more forgiving than fat so it's doubtful you would be over-proteining it off raw.
Hi.. I understand the contents will be on the label but should I pass it up if the protein/fat percentage is not adequate for a sheltie that is listed in this thread? Is there any way to alter it? That may sound sort of off key but I am new to this. I lost my sheltie at the beginning of the year. He was diagnosed at a young age with lymphoma. Before the diagnosis I started a raw diet that I made at home but it was hard to find the organ meats in my area. I am getting a puppy in a month so I am trying to find the best nutrition I can offer my new baby. I did not realize what the protein/fat content should be for a sheltie. Thank you!
 
Back
Top