Shelties, Pancreatitis, Gallbladder Disease, & Commercial Food

Should a puppy also have this low fat content? I was thinking of starting my puppy on a commercial raw until I am more educated on raw and I see the fat content is high on a lot of these.
How do I control the fat while on actual raw? Do the organs contain most of the fat?
 
From what I understand, you have plenty of wiggle room with pups. Probably about the time they are fully mature physically (say year and a half to two years) then you should start tapering. Cubby was raised on Acana (18%) then a mix of things while I was hunting for prospects, then the 12% Fromm and finally now the 10%. Melli, well, this is less than ideal for her as she is older, but live and learn.
 
Addiction Dry & Wishbone Dry. They have several formulas made in New Zealand with fabulous numbers. Wishbone Lake (Duck/fish, 26%, 10%), Wishbone Ocean (Salmon/fish, 26%,10%), and Wishbone Pasture (Lamb/fish 26%, 10%), La Porchetta (pork/fish, 23%, 12%), and for dogs already suffering from known gallbladder issues and/or allergy to normal proteins Wild Kangaroo/apple (22%, 6%). This one is a little pricey, but it is a fabulous option for dogs needing very very low fat and/or a novel protein.
Addiction Wild Kangaroo/apple (22%, 6%). For dogs who need really low fat but can’t eat the chicken, this is a really solid formula. It’s pricey, but it is quality and appears to be good for dogs with a lot of allergies.

My Sansa has been terrible with kibble the past few months. She was refusing the expensive Japanese puppy kibble the breeder originally had her on, the Costco puppy kibble she would eat a few bites of and then walk away, and the Pedigree kibble my friend had bought for her...she would eat certain pieces but there were these larger red bits that she would pick up, spit out, and then eventually avoided all together. (friend's dog scarfed em down no problem) She'll eat any kind of wet food, veggies, fruit, or treats but the kibble stayed in her bowl til she got hungry enough and realized she wasn't getting anything else. (picky much?)

Anyhow, found a source on Addiction here in Japan and ordered 1 of each variety in the smallest sizes they had. So far, she's liked the Venison and Kangaroo Apple. It's about 2-3X the price here as it is in the US so I'll be bringing some back with me on my next trip back to California.
 
From what I understand, you have plenty of wiggle room with pups. Probably about the time they are fully mature physically (say year and a half to two years) then you should start tapering. Cubby was raised on Acana (18%) then a mix of things while I was hunting for prospects, then the 12% Fromm and finally now the 10%. Melli, well, this is less than ideal for her as she is older, but live and learn.

Cubby, did you post this info on Facebook in a Sheltie group? If so, I believe I had a conversation with you yesterday about it, haha. :D
 
Yes. I am currently C Melody Cubber-Shay on FB. I had several horrible situations happen in the same week (hack, landed in the middle of a very ugly FB group dynamic, and a in-law family issue). I'm incognito more or less these days.
 
Yes. I am currently C Melody Cubber-Shay on FB. I had several horrible situations happen in the same week (hack, landed in the middle of a very ugly FB group dynamic, and a in-law family issue). I'm incognito more or less these days.

Ah yes. I'm Heather Talley. You gotta love Facebook. I got hacked a long time ago, which led to me deleting my whole account. Which is why I only have like 30 friends on there now--and put very limited info on there. People are nuts! I only made a new one because I was writing for a gaming site and they wanted me to run their Facebook. Anyway, the main thing I use it for now is to look at Shelties :p I always preferred Twitter :)
 
Just a note . . . the Wishbone Pasture is pretty much sold out in the US. However, Addiction Le Lamb is still available, similar, less rosemary (since this may be an issue for some dogs) and 12% fat so is likely an alternative. I can't get a straight answer out of anyone why this exact flavor of Wishbone Pasture is out of stock. I am guessing something negative thus no one will divulge.
 
Just wanted to update that Sansa actually eats and finishes all the Addiction kibble. She even seems more energetic. Definitely gets my vote for awesome food.

She seems to like the Kangaroo/apples and "La Porchetta" the best but likes the Venison and Salmon as well.
 
Another update - I honestly think the food has made her more energetic and peppy. Switching her to this stuff had nothing to do with allergies or anything like that but I'm glad I made the switch. I even found some of the canned Addiction and decided to try that. Once again, she loves it and leaves no trace! Also - common sense but check the expiration dates on the bags when you purchase....almost ended up with a large bag of food that was expiring this month. No bueno!
 
Back
Top