Shelties, Pancreatitis, Gallbladder Disease, & Commercial Food

Wonderful! I know Melli has leaned up and leaps a foot off the ground for the food. Not bad for a dog who is at least 9 years old.
 
Just wanted to update that Sansa actually eats and finishes all the Addiction kibble. She even seems more energetic. Definitely gets my vote for awesome food.

She seems to like the Kangaroo/apples and "La Porchetta" the best but likes the Venison and Salmon as well.

Isn't it funny you can get kibble with Kangaroo over there but not in Australia. I cook roo for mine (gee it's stinky) and they always do well on it - it's a really high quality meat, lots of muscle, little fat. Wish I could buy it in kibble.

I remembered this thread when I just ran into a friend with an older dog with pancreatitis. She put him on a special diet to deal with the pancreatitis and says he's just a different dog. He's walking farther, doing zoomies, has heaps of energy and is just much happier. The dog is 12 but she says he's like a puppy, he'd obviously been suffering with the pancreatitis for years. It's kind of ironic she has a dog with pancreatitis since she's a health specialist with a focus on natural 'whole' diets.
 
I'm actually going to try some of the Addiction Raw Dehydrated. We shall see how everyone does on it.
 
Caro - Is there a reason for that? If it makes you feel any better, just remember I'm paying the Japan tax on it...this stuff is crazy expensive here.

Last update, I promise!!

I've mixed the canned salmon with salmon kibble and the same with venison....bowl is getting licked clean. Now I just need to find out how I can get this good stuff at a better price. The local "home center" with a larger food selection carries some of stuff but so far online shops are the only places I can find all the varieties. The dehydrated stuff is more expensive than fresh meat & produce though...at that point, I might as well be offering her wagyu from the local butcher.
 
Last edited:
Isn't it funny you can get kibble with Kangaroo over there but not in Australia. I cook roo for mine (gee it's stinky) and they always do well on it - it's a really high quality meat, lots of muscle, little fat. Wish I could buy it in kibble.

I remembered this thread when I just ran into a friend with an older dog with pancreatitis. She put him on a special diet to deal with the pancreatitis and says he's just a different dog. He's walking farther, doing zoomies, has heaps of energy and is just much happier. The dog is 12 but she says he's like a puppy, he'd obviously been suffering with the pancreatitis for years. It's kind of ironic she has a dog with pancreatitis since she's a health specialist with a focus on natural 'whole' diets.

There is a company called Zignature that makes a kangaroo formula that I have my Elliot on now to rule out food allergies, anyone know anything about this company? It is made in New Zealand and seems to be very high quality. TIA!
 
There is a company called Zignature that makes a kangaroo formula that I have my Elliot on now to rule out food allergies, anyone know anything about this company? It is made in New Zealand and seems to be very high quality. TIA!

Zignature- I remember reading on here that a couple people said that they used it and haven't seen it on any recall list. We've used it recently- not the kangaroo formula, but some of the other flavors. We switch brands and flavors every so often and our pet store carries a good variety of decent foods so we can do that pretty easily. My brown dogs grew up on Taste of the Wild and when they had the giant recall a few years back, I decided to not be dependent on any one company for our dog food. we've used Fromm, Acana, Orijen, Earthborn Holistics, Halo, Nature's Variety, etc.......
 
Zignature formulas are higher in fat than I wanted to see and there are a couple ingredients I didn't care for. My friend has her dog on it and I tried to like it on her behalf.

In other news, I am trying out some raw dehydrated. Shelties doing great, shepherd didn't. This was Addiction's brand beef version. I am going to try Dr. Harvey's. I may also try The Honest Kitchen. One of them should work for all 3. SO glad both shelties have bombproof tummies though we focus on the fat level with them.
 
Zignature formulas are higher in fat than I wanted to see and there are a couple ingredients I didn't care for. My friend has her dog on it and I tried to like it on her behalf.

In other news, I am trying out some raw dehydrated. Shelties doing great, shepherd didn't. This was Addiction's brand beef version. I am going to try Dr. Harvey's. I may also try The Honest Kitchen. One of them should work for all 3. SO glad both shelties have bombproof tummies though we focus on the fat level with them.
I tried Honest Kitchen. Zulu would not touch it by itself. When mixed with water, it is like mush, so I think that he did not like the fact it was not in chucks. I tried mixing it with his kibble, and he did eat it, but it gave him the runs. Never could get him adjusted to it. Might give Addiction a try.
 
I like Dr. Harvey's products. I used his dehydrated mix that you just add protein to and the dogs loved it. It's a bit of work to put together though, especially for larger numbers so I gave it up. You can call their help line and talk directly to Dr. Harvey, which is really helpful. I got some great tips from him.
 
Back
Top