Smudge - throwing up again.

Not sure if this even compares....but I have a 12 year old cat that throws up and it kinda looks like that. My cat has allergies which cause her to vomit and it comes and goes. She can go a few months without vomiting and then vomit 3-4 times a week. It turned out to be allergies....just a thought!
 
I'm with the majority here.

You may not need to go with a full bland diet, but it does seem like the treats are over the top.

My boys are both almost 30 lbs. They get two meals per day. Their treats consist of a "pill pocket" 2 x per day for Bacca for his meds. Indy gets a mini-Zuke at the same time.

They also might get at the most, 2 or 3 mini-biscuits from Mother Hubbard. These are small, small bones. That's it.

Hot dogs and beggin strips is alot. Think about using Zukes. They are high on flavour but so small that its a blip in their diet. (when training, I used to even cut them into quarters).
 
I don't give Smudge hot dogs every day. I only bought hot dogs because I got caught up in the holiday tradition of hot dogs since nobody was home to grill for me. :lol: This is only the third time Smudge has ever gotten hot dogs. I had 4 left in the package so I gave Smudge two and Fluffy two.

Fluffy does not steal his food, but I'm sure she would love to. My dogs are fed in their crates. All treats (unless they are given during training) are also given to them in their crates. I started crated feeding them when Smudge was starving himself to death. When they are fed in their crates I can tell exactly how much each dog has ate without having to worry if one dog snuck a bite from the other.

Gross or not I was at one point keeping a "puke log" where I wrote down the exact details to give to the vet.

I really wish I could post a recent picture of Smudge. I might try tonight to show everybody how thin he is. That's another concern of mine - even if he eats a good amount, if he throws up everything on his stomach he gets skinny fast. My computer crashed last night, and I'm afraid every picture I have of Smudge and Fluffy might be lost forever. :no::sadsmile: I'm using my school laptop to get online.

My next question:

Does a dog have to be a certain age to be checked for allergies?

He has not thrown up today that I am aware of, but my mom was home with him today while I was at work. She doesn't monitor his every move like I do. :lol:
 
Well, you probably just answered your own question.

Since hot dogs are not regularly part of his diet, he probably got an upset tummy from them. As well as the fact that a dog his size eating two hot dogs would be like me eating 16 hot dogs. And you better believe I would be puking if I ate that much :eek2:

I would just go back to his normal diet, and watch him. I know you are worried since he had the history, but I bet it is just from an upset hot dog tummy.
 
Well, you probably just answered your own question.

Since hot dogs are not regularly part of his diet, he probably got an upset tummy from them. As well as the fact that a dog his size eating two hot dogs would be like me eating 16 hot dogs. And you better believe I would be puking if I ate that much :eek2:

I would just go back to his normal diet, and watch him. I know you are worried since he had the history, but I bet it is just from an upset hot dog tummy.

I really didn't know that was a lot of hot dogs until just now. :uhoh:

I'm hoping that it is just something random. Nothing like toting a kicking and screaming sheltie into the vet's office.
 
Sounds good if he hasn't thrown up today. Maybe whatever it is has worked through his systme. I would talk to your vet about whether to test for allergies and the age they would recommend.

Some dogs (like people) need smaller more frequent meals and at a regular time if possible. Just watch the people food. Some dogs cannot handle it. My Noah loved apples and oranges but he couldn't handle them very often. He would sometimes vomit up the undigested apple pieces even though Dad had sliced them very thin (like in 1/8"). Ask your vet about something that would settle his tummy, such as Prevacid etc.

If he begins eating regularly and keeps it down and is getting all his nutrients, but is still thin, your vet may well say that is ok. I had a border collie/golden retriever cross who never put on weight. She looked very thin but was healthy. The vet said this was okay but then she went through a tornado with us 25years ago and this did traumatize her. The vet indicated that some dogs are just naturally thin and it doesn't matter how much you feed them they do not gain weight. When you have Smudge checked out and he is alright from a health standpoint, don't beat yourself up about trying to get him to gain weight.
 
Sounds like it just may have been an overload of treats. I would just lay off the treats for a few days and see what happens.

Just like when you change your dogs food, new treats should be given in small doses, so you can build up their tolerance or they can get an upset stomach. It may have just been too much hot dogs.
 
giving food to a person who vomits just makes them vomit more...
why VP works so well for dogs with sensitive stomach?
because they have digestive enzymes which work like insulin for sugar- enough insulin, person is ok, not enough insulin person is in a coma...
giving food in triple quadruple amount to a dog that vomits it creates a vicious circle because dog can not digest it.... it is not about Smudge being overweight it is about his digestive system not working well...
I think keeping very detailed account on his food intake, timing and vomiting is great idea.
Best wishes to Smudge from Che!
 
Back
Top