Something I learned about dogs eating poop

dkean

Forums Enthusiast
My sister used to breed shelties. She said there is a pill and a food additive that will make the poop very unappetizing for them. I will check with the vet first. I didn't know they made such a thing.
 
For-bid is the one that comes to mind. However, if you have a large number of dogs, it isn't really cost-effective... because you have to add it to every meal for every dog.

The best cure is prevention - just pick it up as soon as it's deposited.
 
I agree with you about picking it up right away. You have to be right there when she does it. Most of the time she want's to play with it first.

We only have the one sheltie. So that makes her an only child/fur kid.:wink2:
 
Oh eew, playing with it... :dead:

Something else I've heard that works (never tried it!) is to sprinkle anise - the herb - on their food. It's supposed to work in the same way as the For-bid; might also be worth a try.
 
When Cody was a puppy, he used to eat his poop...EWWWWWH! My vet told me to sprinkle meat tenderizer on his food and it would make his poop taste bad (like it doesn't already?) and it worked!!!
 
:lol:, sorry but the poop threads always make me laugh! Playing with it, eating it, ewwwww, ha ha ha, awful , just awful :dead:.
 
Shelby loves to eat poop (YUK). Our vet told us to and pineapple to her food and that seemed to work. She no longer eats her own poop, but all the rabbit poop in the yard is another story.
 
Adding pineapple to their food does much the same thing to help prevent coprophagia, when Indi came to us from rescue she did it did the usually vet check to make sure she wasn't deficient and then went through this method. All sorted now.
 
Indy is a chronic poo-eater. The thing with the additive is that you have to give it to the dog whose poo is being eaten....not to the eater.

For me its normally only a problem in winter....Indy really only seems to go for poo-sickles. And normally, if I don't scoop it up in time, there is a new layer of snow to cover it up until the joys of spring time clean up!

So I choose to live with it and monitor. That being said, Indy has managed to come into the house a few times gulping a mouthful of poo on the way... Eeeew! :dead:
 
Back
Top