The Ears Experiement

Joaking here too......don't the little girls really need some diamond earrings? I mean after all they are divas! Please note I would never really put earrings on my dog...she would find a way to eat them!
 
Weighting the ears will not cause them to tip permanently. All it does is strengthen the muscles and make the ears go back up.

The entire point of taping or glueing ears is to train a "break" in the ear. Once that break is in there, the ears will tip. Weighting ears just bends them without tipping them.
 
Weighting the ears will not cause them to tip permanently. All it does is strengthen the muscles and make the ears go back up.

The entire point of taping or glueing ears is to train a "break" in the ear. Once that break is in there, the ears will tip. Weighting ears just bends them without tipping them.

exactly. You are just training the ear to become stronger to "hold up" the what ever you are attaching. Thus when removed within the week you will have some beautiful prick ears.:wink2:
 
That bit about strengthening cartilage doesn't quite make sense. If you could weight the ears down and a get a strong prick afterwards then all the GSD, Dobies, Danes, and such would have ears weighted and then left to fly rather than being taped and braced upwards as they do. It seems the trend is tape them up they go up, fasten them down (one way or another) and they go down. I see an awful lot of breeds that weight the tips rather than glue to get a fold.

In any case, if they BOTH prick or BOTH fold, that's fine with me as long as they do the same thing.
 
Just a thought, why couldn't you put a permanent stitch in the ears to keep them down, and take it out when you think the ears have been set long enough? I think it would Definately beat all the glue.
 
Just a thought, why couldn't you put a permanent stitch in the ears to keep them down, and take it out when you think the ears have been set long enough? I think it would Definately beat all the glue.

For those of us that show, this would not be allowed....
 
Just a thought, why couldn't you put a permanent stitch in the ears to keep them down, and take it out when you think the ears have been set long enough? I think it would Definately beat all the glue.

To be honest, that exact thought has crossed my mind before. But I think it crosses the line into cruelty.
 
Just a thought, why couldn't you put a permanent stitch in the ears to keep them down, and take it out when you think the ears have been set long enough? I think it would Definately beat all the glue.

Ears need to be taken out and adjusted as the puppy grows as you will get bending and kinks in the leather.

You need to sedate the puppy to put a stitch in, which is a risk. If the ear gets pulled on it could rip the ear or skin and cause on big mess, plus it would be overall more painful and annoying to the puppy.

Celtic is at the point now that I put a 2-3mm drop of glue on the ear tip and fold which take 2 secs an ear, it comes out in 3 secs. Nothing to fall out and get eaten, he does not even notice. Never has.

I don't understand the problem with glue. It doesn't stick to the skin, it is not model glue or super glue so you can't compare but to each their own. I don't use all the mole skin, tape etc because it is annoying to me and falls out too easily.
 
Interesting concept Laurel -- I am not sure I have ever heard of that one, even while searching around online recently while pondering this issue. I bet it has been done and probably works pretty well.

I have only found info on glue -- taping -- weighing with everything from gum to blue tack to felt pads to tungsten powder to modeling clay to cement to coins to various kinds of clips to the hair at the tips. This goes across breeds who want the fold/tip look.
 
Back
Top