The Ears Experiement

I am along with Nina. ALL the generations of MANY breeds who have had the tips weighed until teething is done can't be wrong. No guarantees but you can glue and they prick, you can do nothing and they tip, you can weigh and they go either way. However, if you tape & brace ears up (like the GSD and Dobie and danes) and they go up then if you weigh (or glue) they would go down. Bracing (imobilizing) doesn't weaken them and make them fold so weighing them down wouldn't make them strengthen and prick. If weighing them down was a huge way of getting prick ears, the GSD and Dobie people would be all over it and we would see those dogs sporting fishing weights rather than being braced/taped.

If one ear (like Cubby) has a solid tip tendency then I hope I can convince the other the same. If they had both pricked early that would have been fine and I would have gone with it. The one of each, nah.

Again, my husband and mom are absolutely NO WAY on using glue or tape. Sticking something on the underside for some part of the day they are more or less OK with. Yes, gluing is more effective, but with that off the table, I need something acceptable with the family.

I will let you know, but I see they are staying tipped from evening to morning without the pads. He just lost another tooth so we are still in the window though. Time will tell.
 
You could always "accidentally spill" glue on his ears and then just forget to take it off for a couple of weeks. :hide
 
Why do they not want you to glue the ears....he is your dog - right? IT does not hurt them. What if a pad falls off and he eats it?
 
Why do they not want you to glue the ears....he is your dog - right? IT does not hurt them. What if a pad falls off and he eats it?

Maybe try making a comparison to orthodontic braces. Kids get braces on their teeth, maybe it's a little uncomfortable or "unnatural", but it's temporary, it does no harm, and they have a beautiful smile for the rest of their lives. Yes, some kids don't get braces, and it's not the end of the planet, but most people in the US agree that it's a good thing to do.

Glued or taped ears are much the same.
 
Husband had braces -- VERY traumatic. . .

They just refuse. And it is OUR family dog. Husband flat out WILL NOT accept ear gluing. Since I don't want a divorce, need to find another option.

Now, as to the pads, the ones from the big A stick really well. I pull them off at night or when I cannot watch him (work from home).

It is what it is.
 
Husband had braces -- VERY traumatic. . .

Oh no!! OK, my suggestion's out. Poor guy!

I agree, I think you're making the most of the situation you're in. You will have (and already have!) a great little puppy, however his ears end up.

People (me included!) who work with show dogs tend to have very strong opinions about ears... how they should be done, when they should be done, what materials to use, what phase of the moon favors tipped ears... (OK, kidding on that last one.) Some of it is based in science, some in experience, and some is tradition, but all of it is strongly-felt, so we can get a little zealous sometimes.

Give your pup a hug and have fun with your great experiment! :hugs
 
Yes, husband -- head gear -- no high school dating -- NOT a good thing.

Making the most of the situation. If they are up or down no matter -- just hoping they land the same.

Of course if you have glued ears before, you certainly are comfortable and it is no big deal. Husband, whoa. Mom, nope, nope, nope.

Furniture pads, eh, like wearing a retainer maybe, but NOT braces.

All that matters, really, is that Cubby turns into a loving well mannered educated dog.
 
I don't actually know. I mean, I don't actually get a reason like it is cruel, is ugly, I don't want to have to help you with it, whatever you could think of. Before I got him I was studying the videos to know how to do it. That's when the iron foot came down.

The answer is just, "You are NOT gluing the dog's ears. I don't like it. You aren't doing it. I better not come home and find you have done it. Don't even point at his ears. In fact, don't even LOOK at his ears." Can't go move in with mom because she said the same thing. I think it is the time involved. It's not like a month, it is like a long long time.

He didn't want me to do ANYTHING except the wonky one up one half up/down just looked dorky. IF they had both popped up like the shepherd's he would have been thrilled. IF they both had stayed folded like Melli's he would have been thrilled. Only the fact we were 3 weeks into one down one undecided did he recant at all.

I asked that question to mom who was just here . . . you wouldn't go for glue but sticking something under the ears is OK -- answer. YEP! But, but, but . . . NOPE. I got outvoted.

I know this dog's dad was tipped with gum and his mom's was left alone and are very nicely prick. But, you know, PICK one puppy.
 
Back
Top