The Mystery of the Ghost Pooping Sheltie

Usually gabapentin is given in conjunction with another pain med like Carprofen. That should knock him out a bit, although in my experience there’s no keeping a Sheltie down unless they’re in a cast.

I love the “suits” for post surgery but they can lick through them if they’re determined. The only thing I’ve had success with is an inflatable cone, which they don’t mind as much as the e-cones. No matter what you do, it’s going to be a long few weeks…
 
I never received any pain meds after my dogs were neutered. They’d get an injection of Metacam which would last 24 hours but they typically didn’t need anything for the next day (at least they didn’t act like it). It’s impossible to keep them 100% quiet for two weeks but if you can at least stop the jumping and running (I took outside on a long line to prevent running). They lose their brains when they run lol!
 
Well the shorts were working great until I didn't get them off fast enough and he went out and peed in them. Sigh.
On the up side he did poop, and although he took quite a while to accomplish that, he didn't seem to be in terrible pain. Of course the pain meds may be helping in that regard.
If I remember correctly the body takes awhile to get the hormones out of the system, so I don't know how quickly his prostate will shrink.
 
Well the shorts were working great until I didn't get them off fast enough and he went out and peed in them. Sigh.
On the up side he did poop, and although he took quite a while to accomplish that, he didn't seem to be in terrible pain. Of course the pain meds may be helping in that regard.
If I remember correctly the body takes awhile to get the hormones out of the system, so I don't know how quickly his prostate will shrink.
Oh no lol! Well…the shorts worked perfectly. You however did not haha!
I found that my boys really needed the shorts for the first week. The second week if they left the incision alone I left the shorts off (if I was home and could keep an eye on them). Bedtime the shorts went on.
 
I never received any pain meds after my dogs were neutered. They’d get an injection of Metacam which would last 24 hours but they typically didn’t need anything for the next day (at least they didn’t act like it). It’s impossible to keep them 100% quiet for two weeks but if you can at least stop the jumping and running (I took outside on a long line to prevent running). They lose their brains when they run lol!

I don't recall any meds for Koko and Fil either, BUT they were not in the pain Benny was in. So I am going to keep giving him the gaba and the meta until his prostate shrinks, which it hasn't as he was out there Ghost Pooping this morning, poor guy! I also gave in and let him up on the loveseat. It takes him no effort to get up there, its very low, and he will sleep there close to me while I'm on the computer so I can watch him. He has never really liked dog beds like Fil does, nor does he like sleeping on the bed. But he does like the recliner and loveseat. So he can have them LOL
 
What about asking the vet about giving Benson slippery elm Margi? I know it works for both diarrhea and constipation. While he’s not constipated it does coat their GI system with a slippery coating so this might help ease some of the pushing for him.
I usually buy at a health food store but Amazon does have it.
 
What about asking the vet about giving Benson slippery elm Margi? I know it works for both diarrhea and constipation. While he’s not constipated it does coat their GI system with a slippery coating so this might help ease some of the pushing for him.
I usually buy at a health food store but Amazon does have it.
He didn't have any luck today, so I'm scared about tomorrow. If he's that clogged again but now with stitches I don't know what will happen!
 
Back
Top