The Mystery of the Ghost Pooping Sheltie

He didn't have any luck today, so I'm scared about tomorrow. If he's that clogged again but now with stitches I don't know what will happen!
Could you switch him to a bland diet food (chicken and pumpkin) until his prostate shrinks? Something that will pass easier? Poor guy, I’d be concerned as well Margi. I’d call the vet if I were you. I’ll send you positive thoughts and prayers for a successful smooth easy poop for Benson!
 
I shot her an email just now. He tried about 6 times to no avail. He is not thank God straining and in obvious pain like this past weekend. I am giving him ground food, no whole bones. I'm wondering if the meds are being counterproductive here. My poor husband had such a bad time with opiod induced constipation during his cancer treatments...
 
I have to agree with the others and I am hopeful for a soft result or in the extreme a case of diarrhea so there's no issue with his stitches. (Never thought I would hope for that) Best of luck,I hope he does ok.
 
Doc's reply:
It takes time for the prostate to go down in size as dogs store 6 weeks of testosterone in their bodies at all times. So, his body will not realise he is neutered until about a month. Then it will still take some time to reduce. Please give him Miralax, 11/2 to 1 teaspoon daily until he goes. If the stool is too soft, then give less. The dose is empirical at best!

She is so great getting back right away, I think she meant anecdotal not empirical. ;) Can't stop being a teacher LOL
 
Doc's reply:
It takes time for the prostate to go down in size as dogs store 6 weeks of testosterone in their bodies at all times. So, his body will not realise he is neutered until about a month. Then it will still take some time to reduce. Please give him Miralax, 11/2 to 1 teaspoon daily until he goes. If the stool is too soft, then give less. The dose is empirical at best!

She is so great getting back right away, I think she meant anecdotal not empirical. ;) Can't stop being a teacher LOL
It’s awesome that she gets back to you that way! Mine I have to call and the receptionist leaves a message for them and you hope they get it!
Fingers crossed that Benson has a good morning tomorrow!
 
He threw up two hours after the miralax. We are doing the same thing for the third weekend in a row. He is straining and in pain. No dinner tonight. Just bone broth and a bit of white rice so I could give him his pain pills. I have no idea how much if any of the laxative was absorbed. I'm gonna be crazy before his hormones subside. If he passes this blockage he's on liquid diet forever. So settling in for another long night...
 
Awwww poor Benson! I’m so sorry he’s still having a hard time Margi! This must be so hard on you as well…I know I’d be crazy if it was one of mine!
Hopefully the mirilax had enough time to be absorbed before he threw up!
My fingers are crossed that he can go tomorrow morning if not sooner!
 
Back
Top