Tomorrow is our first trial of the season!

I'll tell Finnie...perhaps he needs a stern talking from you lol, sure won't listen to me!

By the way, I was able to sneak in the ring this morning (big big no no) and showed Piper where his go outs were. It's so important at this level to be able to get the dog in the ring before the trial.
 
awesome videos:yes:
not that I've competed in this level but there are some differences with AKC. I was wondering what you had in your hand in the first video, then noticed that you had dropped it.....
Gloves in AKC are a little different- the steward puts out 3 identical gloves (left corner, center, right corner) provided by the competitor and the dog has to go in the correction direction sent by the handler and pick up the glove, return to front, give the glove and then finish.
Your way is very interesting and I'm sure that some people that I know would appreciate there only being one glove to retrieve.
AKC also has 2 articles scented and chosen from the pile- either leather or metal (or wood if you have those instead of metal) and the other one the second time. I know people who would love just one go at that.
all the other stuff looked pretty much identical to AKC or how it used to be. I haven't seen many trials since they changed stuff last year.... even though I have been at some, we've been in the rally ring and have missed most of the open and utility classes.
good job though- he does seem to have some enthusiasm so just some reminders and he'll be all over it at the next trial:pop
 
awesome videos:yes:
not that I've competed in this level but there are some differences with AKC. I was wondering what you had in your hand in the first video, then noticed that you had dropped it.....
Gloves in AKC are a little different- the steward puts out 3 identical gloves (left corner, center, right corner) provided by the competitor and the dog has to go in the correction direction sent by the handler and pick up the glove, return to front, give the glove and then finish.
Your way is very interesting and I'm sure that some people that I know would appreciate there only being one glove to retrieve.
AKC also has 2 articles scented and chosen from the pile- either leather or metal (or wood if you have those instead of metal) and the other one the second time. I know people who would love just one go at that.
all the other stuff looked pretty much identical to AKC or how it used to be. I haven't seen many trials since they changed stuff last year.... even though I have been at some, we've been in the rally ring and have missed most of the open and utility classes.
good job though- he does seem to have some enthusiasm so just some reminders and he'll be all over it at the next trial:pop

Yes Calliesmom that was the glove I dropped...we only do the one glove here in Canada (thank goodness!), I can't imagine if I had to teach a directed retrieve!
We also do scent discrimination (articles) twice. Judge selects a total of 2 articles from the metal, leather or wood and we do one and then the other. Both are separate exercises.
He did seem like he had forgotten what he was supposed to do in articles...when he returned to me the first time (he'd actually picked up the correct one then dropped it and then returned to me) he seemed confused, like he was unsure of what to do (was walking really slow and looking at me) and when I told him again FIND MINE! he quickly found it . The scenting wasn't the issue, just a brain fart I think. That's what I love about videos, you see things you'd never pick up otherwise.
This judge was fantastic...allowed me to do a bit of training (with articles I sent him 3 times!) And on directed jumping after he didn't take the high jump the judge said to me 'you can send him over the high jump when I say bar'...she was great. Some judges won't allow that much latitude.
 
awesome videos:yes:
not that I've competed in this level but there are some differences with AKC. I was wondering what you had in your hand in the first video, then noticed that you had dropped it.....
Gloves in AKC are a little different- the steward puts out 3 identical gloves (left corner, center, right corner) provided by the competitor and the dog has to go in the correction direction sent by the handler and pick up the glove, return to front, give the glove and then finish.
Your way is very interesting and I'm sure that some people that I know would appreciate there only being one glove to retrieve.
AKC also has 2 articles scented and chosen from the pile- either leather or metal (or wood if you have those instead of metal) and the other one the second time. I know people who would love just one go at that.
all the other stuff looked pretty much identical to AKC or how it used to be. I haven't seen many trials since they changed stuff last year.... even though I have been at some, we've been in the rally ring and have missed most of the open and utility classes.
good job though- he does seem to have some enthusiasm so just some reminders and he'll be all over it at the next trial:pop

Just realized I forgot to post the video of his second go at his articles...here it is
 
yeah, he did seem like he wasn't sure what he was doing in the first article video. the second video he does much better:yes:
that is nice when the judge lets you work through things........
 
That was interesting to see some of the mistakes my dogs have made! And what a lovely venue!

That seek back exercise is cool. Justus would circle me on the return with the dumbell, Flyer has done it once or twice now too! And now that I think about it, my first sheltie, Bobby, did that as well! :0
It's still qualifying but I hate losing the points for him doing it.

That first article send looked like avoidance to me. I often drop a single treat in the scent pile for rewarding my dog for going out. Getting his nose down to grab that kibble seems to remind my dogs that they are scenting.

I have a little forging in my heeling too, always working on that!

I miss being entered. :( We are trying to get our utility act together but life keeps throwing other priorities in my way. I did enter a graduate open class in late June, and it's been almost a year since I've even done any rally,but entered that too, should be entertaining. :D
 
That's interesting what you do with the articles 2good, your dogs don't get sidetracked and forget about scenting? How did you start them on it with the treats?
 
That was interesting to see some of the mistakes my dogs have made! And what a lovely venue!

That seek back exercise is cool. Justus would circle me on the return with the dumbell, Flyer has done it once or twice now too! And now that I think about it, my first sheltie, Bobby, did that as well! :0
It's still qualifying but I hate losing the points for him doing it.

That first article send looked like avoidance to me. I often drop a single treat in the scent pile for rewarding my dog for going out. Getting his nose down to grab that kibble seems to remind my dogs that they are scenting.

I have a little forging in my heeling too, always working on that!

I miss being entered. :( We are trying to get our utility act together but life keeps throwing other priorities in my way. I did enter a graduate open class in late June, and it's been almost a year since I've even done any rally,but entered that too, should be entertaining. :D

I hear you about priorities ...this was only our 2nd trial of the year (actually since last August)! The next trial coming up in 4 weeks is a 4 day and I'm doing doubles with Piper and starting Rally with Finnie. Right there is $285! And I'm thinking I'd really like to do Rally with Piper since I'm going to be there....
 
It happened by lucky accident. I train articles with a smidge of cheese on the bar when they are learning. Well, months into the training and when the food was only appearing as a reward - Justus couldn't find the scented bell. Out of frustration I put a cookie on the bar of the scented article but it had rolled off and was in the pile. Justus went to the pile, ate the cookie, then started sniffing and found the right one. Jackpot!!! So recently Flyer is having a problem and putting a single kibble in the pile is working. He gets a cookie and gets to work. (paws crossed!)
 
It happened by lucky accident. I train articles with a smidge of cheese on the bar when they are learning. Well, months into the training and when the food was only appearing as a reward - Justus couldn't find the scented bell. Out of frustration I put a cookie on the bar of the scented article but it had rolled off and was in the pile. Justus went to the pile, ate the cookie, then started sniffing and found the right one. Jackpot!!! So recently Flyer is having a problem and putting a single kibble in the pile is working. He gets a cookie and gets to work. (paws crossed!)

I'd be afraid of doing that now with Piper and messing him up on his articles, I've been working him on them and he's good every time.
Have you heard of Connie Cleveland and her method of using cookie tins to teach scenting? I'm going to try to teach Finnie this way first, and if it doesn't work I'll do the tie down. I have the info for teaching Connie's method if you want it.
 
Back
Top