USDAA Questions

k9kreationz

Forums Celebrity
Not sure why, but I'm not seeing any local AKC events in Jan/Feb. Maybe I need to look harder.

So, I thought I might try a USDAA trial. But need some help with what they call things. ;) I figured I'd ask you guys. Since you're all-knowing (out of the hundreds - thousands here, someone would know).

I know I'd be running Koji in Performance 16" (no way is he jumping 22"). So, under that, instead of "Masters, Advanced, Starters" they have PI, PII, and PIII. I'm assuming I'd start out in PI, the lowest level. Does this mean that's how my levels will go? How "un-fun"! I'd rather say I'm in Masters...not P3. LOL.
Anyhow. Let me know if I'm incorrect on that one.

Next question. What is this Tournaments thing? Can only some dogs enter those? Are those like "special" events or something?

And lastly (for now), what does it mean by USDAA Test? What do they mean Test? Does that mean it's not a real trial? Or is that what they call them?

:o So confused. And I thought Rally entries were confusing.

Not sure I'd even want to do Pairs. I'd feel too sorry for the other person who got teamed up with me. I might as well figure this out, because the local club is going to do USDAA in April and I know I'd go to that.

Oh, one more question (this answer would be easy to find, but now I'm just being lazy).....do I have to renew my membership every year like CPE (which I can't decide if I want to renew or not....as I do it once a year).

I'm sure I may come up with more, but for now, that's it.
 
Last edited:
I know I'd be running Koji in Performance 16" (no way is he jumping 22"). So, under that, instead of "Masters, Advanced, Starters" they have PI, PII, and PIII. I'm assuming I'd start out in PI, the lowest level. Does this mean that's how my levels will go? How "un-fun"! I'd rather say I'm in Masters...not P3. LOL.

Yes. You're exactly right. And when you go to run on the day of, you'll want to look/listen for "Performance" not "Championship". One day one is first, and they are swapped the next day of the trial. That also means that you won't have any double or triples, and more time to run the course.

Next question. What is this Tournaments thing? Can only some dogs enter those? Are those like "special" events or something?

Nope, anyone can do those. Those are what is run at Nationals. So qualifying in two of one particular event (Steeplechase, Grand Prix or Team) gets you qualified for USDAA Nationals.

I think I've explained it before, but here's a quick description:
1. Steeplechase: Fast and flowy. Jumps, tunnels, a-frame and weaves. Either a-frame or weaves twice. Based on Starters rules (refusals don't count) and it's time + faults. So if you're fast enough, you can make mistakes and still Q.

2. Grand Prix: Like standard, but no table. Faster. Based on masters rules, so off-courses, refusals, knocked bars, etc... all count against you and are automatic NQ. Usually technically difficult.

3. Team: Team (DAM) is typically the day before. You're on a team of 3 dogs. You run all events (standard, jumpers, snooker, gamblers, and I think pairs, but I can't remember) and your points in each are added up to one final score.

And lastly (for now), what does it mean by USDAA Test? What do they mean Test? Does that mean it's not a real trial? Or is that what they call them?

That's just what they call them :)


Not sure I'd even want to do Pairs. I'd feel too sorry for the other person who got teamed up with me. I might as well figure this out, because the local club is going to do USDAA in April and I know I'd go to that.

Don't feel bad about that. It happens ALL the time. I watched a masters dog poop at the start line last weekend. The team was eliminated before they even ran!

Oh, one more question (this answer would be easy to find, but now I'm just being lazy).....do I have to renew my membership every year like CPE (which I can't decide if I want to renew or not....as I do it once a year).

Nope, once you get your temporary card, you're good to go. (I think registration is $20)

Let me know--you can email or PM me if you have any trouble filling out the entry-form. I do it all the time!
 
Hehe, you sound like me before my first USDAA trial. :biggrin2: I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the whole 'test' thing was about. Actually I still haven't quite figured that one out. I guess a trial is 'testing' you and your dog? :confused2:

The test is just what they call a trial in UDSAA.

Peformance classes are really referred to as PI, PII, and PIII (and you do progess in that order), but at least the titles are finally going to be changing to reflect more similarity to the championship level titling. (For example, to correspond to the Advanced Agility Dog title in Championship.....you will now be able to earn an Advanced Performance Dog title which used to be called Performance Dog II :dead:) They are working on improving it to reflect titles which are less confusing relative to the championship series, but it's not all there yet.

Tournaments can be entered by any dog or handler. Doesn't matter if you have ever run in a trial before or not. Steeplechase is judged under Starters (PI) rules and Grand Prix is judged under Masters (PIII) rules. You are free to enter either though and there are some tournament based titles to earn (as well as needing all 3 tournament Qs for your ADCH) There's also Performance Versatility Pairs which is judged under Masters rules, but still with a time + faults element to it.

You don't have to renew your membership yearly. Once your dog is registered, that's it for life.
 
Oh, one more question (this answer would be easy to find, but now I'm just being lazy).....do I have to renew my membership every year like CPE (which I can't decide if I want to renew or not....as I do it once a year).

I know this thread is about USDAA but I wanted to comment on CPE real quick.

You do not need to be a member of CPE to run in CPE. The DOG needs to be registered and Koji is.

The primary benefits for membership are (1) a printed copy of the current rule book; which is available as a PDF on their website anyway and (2) discounted rate on registering additional dogs.

There is no discount in the cost/run to CPE members vs non-members.

If you are only going to run 1 or 2 CPE trials a year, renewing is probably not worth it. Koji has a CPE number so you can compete.
 
Yes. You're exactly right. And when you go to run on the day of, you'll want to look/listen for "Performance" not "Championship". One day one is first, and they are swapped the next day of the trial. That also means that you won't have any double or triples, and more time to run the course.

Oh wait, so they don't run them all together? They actually break them apart? i.e. in AKC and NADAC, if you're jumping 16" you run with all the other 16" dogs (and they don't really "break" them - meaning you couldn't tell who's 16 standard, preferred, veteran, etc). So, with USDAA, they make it a point to split the groups? (maybe run them one after another, but still split them). I feel so discriminated against. j/k. And wow, I didn't realize you'd get more time and less jumps. I just assumed we were jumping lower, but same rules applied. Huh. Interesting. I could so excel at this. lol.


Nope, anyone can do those. Those are what is run at Nationals. So qualifying in two of one particular event (Steeplechase, Grand Prix or Team) gets you qualified for USDAA Nationals.

Oh how cool. And thanks for the explanations, that helps a lot. Looks like there's a Pairs Relay on Sat. And also Grand Prix and Steeplechase. Sunday looks to be the normal stuff.

That's just what they call them :)
They just gotta be different, huh? I kept thinking....do they need to test dogs to see if they can perform or something? Huh? lol. Oh well, now it makes sense.



Nope, once you get your temporary card, you're good to go. (I think registration is $20)

Let me know--you can email or PM me if you have any trouble filling out the entry-form. I do it all the time!

Oh good. I got my registration last year when I started. I figured I might as well get them all. lol. Oh, and I read my renewal for CPE, I don't have to keep paying if I don't want to. But you get perks for staying a member.
 
Hehe, you sound like me before my first USDAA trial. :biggrin2: I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the whole 'test' thing was about. Actually I still haven't quite figured that one out. I guess a trial is 'testing' you and your dog? :confused2:

Okay, glad I'm not the only one thinking I'm crazy and wondering what they're testing for.


Peformance classes are really referred to as PI, PII, and PIII (and you do progess in that order), but at least the titles are finally going to be changing to reflect more similarity to the championship level titling.

That's nice, cuz let's face it, PIII title is cheesy.

Steeplechase is judged under Starters (PI) rules and Grand Prix is judged under Masters (PIII) rules.

Good to know. Thanks. Which means I'll just have to read the rulebook. I seriously hate those things, they rarely make any sense.
 
I know this thread is about USDAA but I wanted to comment on CPE real quick.

You do not need to be a member of CPE to run in CPE. The DOG needs to be registered and Koji is.

The primary benefits for membership are (1) a printed copy of the current rule book; which is available as a PDF on their website anyway and (2) discounted rate on registering additional dogs.

There is no discount in the cost/run to CPE members vs non-members.

If you are only going to run 1 or 2 CPE trials a year, renewing is probably not worth it. Koji has a CPE number so you can compete.

Thanks for clarifying. I saw that's what the renewal notice said. I hadn't read it thoroughly as I was trying to figure out if I wanted to renew. Thanks though...in case anyone else reads this. ;)
 
Have you looked on the AKC website for trials?

:o

I admit. I hadn't. I typically check the Southwest Agility Calendar first and didn't see anything. I checked another calendar (not AKC, but more of a premium list website) and they have tons. So yay. I may still try a USDAA for fun though. Why not, y'know. I have to decide how many trials I want to do a month.

In March, there's a 4-dayer and it'll cost me about $150 for the long weekend. That uses up all my allocated money for March. But I really want to trial 1-2x a month. If my pocketbook can handle it.

I'm afraid to look at the AKC website, as I'm sure I"ll find one every weekend. lol. I will, won't I?
 
Oh wait, so they don't run them all together? They actually break them apart? i.e. in AKC and NADAC, if you're jumping 16" you run with all the other 16" dogs (and they don't really "break" them - meaning you couldn't tell who's 16 standard, preferred, veteran, etc). So, with USDAA, they make it a point to split the groups? (maybe run them one after another, but still split them). I feel so discriminated against. j/k. And wow, I didn't realize you'd get more time and less jumps. I just assumed we were jumping lower, but same rules applied. Huh. Interesting. I could so excel at this. lol.

A typical class running order might look like this: C22, C26, C16, C12 followed by P12, P8, P16 and P22.

The reason for this split is convenience. Like Ashley pointed out earlier, there are no spreads in performance (except the broad jump in steeplechase). Can you imagine having to run in and change all the doubles and triples for every height if they ran performance and championship together? It would be a nightmare for ring crew and add a large amount of time onto each class.

Additionally, by ordering the groups this way there is only 1 A-frame height change. May seem like a little thing, but these little things add up to a lot of time over 5 or 6 classes! :yes:

I know you were just joking about the discrimination bit, but I just want throw this out there for others reading.......

There really isn't a stigma associated with performance in USDAA (at least no where near what I have seen with preferred in AKC, although that's getting better too). There are tons of world class handlers competing with their very competitive dogs in performance. Barbara Bicksler has been running with Sydney (a 3 time world team sheltie) in performance for as long as I can remember. Patty and Sparkle (one of the people we were rooting for at the AKC invitational) placed 3rd in performance steeplechase at nationals this year.

I could go on and on dropping famous performance dog names....but what I'm getting at here is that it's okay to be proud to be competing in USDAA performance classes. Bella will be moving down to performance 12" very soon and I'm excited about it. So welcome to performance, the other competitive agility world. :winkgrin:
 
Back
Top