USDAA Questions

ETA: Have I asked you how late your typical trial runs? I'm afraid this one will be long considering where they're holding it.

Did you get my email? There are so many variables that come into play when it comes to how long the trial is. Depends on rings, judges, and number of entries.

For example, our trials have 1 ring, 1 judge, and around 70 dogs. We are done by 4 pm (8 am start time) every day.

At our last away trial, there was 1 ring, 1 judge and 55 dogs. We were done by 3 on one day (4 events) and 4 the next (5 events).

I've never been to one that lasted past 4-5pm, but it does depend on the amount of dogs and rings.
 
Did you get my email? There are so many variables that come into play when it comes to how long the trial is. Depends on rings, judges, and number of entries.

For example, our trials have 1 ring, 1 judge, and around 70 dogs. We are done by 4 pm (8 am start time) every day.

At our last away trial, there was 1 ring, 1 judge and 55 dogs. We were done by 3 on one day (4 events) and 4 the next (5 events).

I've never been to one that lasted past 4-5pm, but it does depend on the amount of dogs and rings.

That's where you wrote it to me. I honestly couldn't recall, and I didn't see it in this thread. sorry about that. With being sick this last week and well, the week prior, honestly, everything is kinda "slipping" from my memory. Thanks for rewriting it all. Me and my old brain appreciate it.
 
Wanted to briefly remind you (I'm sure you probably know) that there are a couple main differences in USDAA to remember. First, no collars of any kind in the ring, or it's an automatic E. Also, it's a down on the table, not a sit or stand.

You'd be surprised about finding a CMJ. I've seen 5 of them since I've been trialing. Of course, we see Stuart all the time, so that's easy for us. :smile2:

If you keep rubbing in the Stuart thing, I'm going to have to move there! :yes:
LOL. Just kidding of course.

Thanks for the reminders. I realized this table works needs to be improved upon. In AKC, I can't even get Koji to sit. By the time they get to "5 and Go" he's barely putting his butt down. :no: So, something we need to work on. And thankfully with NADAC, you have to run naked also, so I do that regardless, but thanks for the reminder. I'm assuming most of the other stuff is the same, but I will be going over the rulebook prior to the trial.
 
If you keep rubbing in the Stuart thing, I'm going to have to move there! :yes:
LOL. Just kidding of course.

Thanks for the reminders. I realized this table works needs to be improved upon. In AKC, I can't even get Koji to sit. By the time they get to "5 and Go" he's barely putting his butt down. :no: So, something we need to work on. And thankfully with NADAC, you have to run naked also, so I do that regardless, but thanks for the reminder. I'm assuming most of the other stuff is the same, but I will be going over the rulebook prior to the trial.

Something that Stuart said (see, there I go mentioned him again! LOL!) was that teaching different table behaviors for different venues is very confusing for dogs. He said that it's easier to teach one single behavior, and then ask for a different behavior after they've completed the original behavior. His dogs all do immediate downs on the table. When AKC required sits, he would tell his dogs "table" (which means jump up and lay down) and THEN ask for a sit. So the word "table" still means the same thing, it's just compounded with a second command, "sit".

Thought that made a lot of sense.

(PS No worries about not remembering the email, I just wanted to make sure you got it!)
 
And for pairs, you have to run with someone in your division (performance or championship) at your same jump height.

Just a minor clarification here. You don't necessarily need someone at your jump height. It is divided into minis (C12/C16 or P8/P12) and open (C22/C26 and P16/P22). You typically run pairs with someone in your height division (minis or open). So as a 16" peformance dog you could pair with a 22" performance dog.

FWIW, I never go into pairs with a set partner. I always leave it open as a draw and have never not gotten to run. If there are an odd number of dogs then someone else will just run twice and the extra one doesn't count for them.

There is also a case where if there is only one mini performance dog they will actually allow them to run with an open dog. So I have seen cases where a 12" dog has run pairs with a 26 incher! :lol:
 
If you keep rubbing in the Stuart thing, I'm going to have to move there!

I must admit, I'm jealous too. :razz: I always enjoy watching him run his dogs. He's one of those handlers that you can tell treats his dogs right. :smile2: I remember thinking this when I gated one of his runs and got to observe him and his dog before a run at nationals.
 
Just a minor clarification here. You don't necessarily need someone at your jump height. It is divided into minis (C12/C16 or P8/P12) and open (C22/C26 and P16/P22). You typically run pairs with someone in your height division (minis or open). So as a 16" peformance dog you could pair with a 22" performance dog.

FWIW, I never go into pairs with a set partner. I always leave it open as a draw and have never not gotten to run. If there are an odd number of dogs then someone else will just run twice and the extra one doesn't count for them.

There is also a case where if there is only one mini performance dog they will actually allow them to run with an open dog. So I have seen cases where a 12" dog has run pairs with a 26 incher! :lol:

I had no idea about being able to pair with another "mini" or "open" dog (depending where your dog falls). Thanks, April!
 
Something that Stuart said (see, there I go mentioned him again! LOL!) was that teaching different table behaviors for different venues is very confusing for dogs. He said that it's easier to teach one single behavior, and then ask for a different behavior after they've completed the original behavior. His dogs all do immediate downs on the table. When AKC required sits, he would tell his dogs "table" (which means jump up and lay down) and THEN ask for a sit. So the word "table" still means the same thing, it's just compounded with a second command, "sit".

Thought that made a lot of sense.

(PS No worries about not remembering the email, I just wanted to make sure you got it!)

We learned the exact thing, I've just been...um.....lenient....no, okay, slacking on table behavior. In class he goes into a down (I would say immediate, but he's soooo slow). And for AKC, I taught him to down, then I'd put him in a sit, so yes, same thing Stuart teaches. Yay! I'm doing somethign right. :)

btw, today, I told Koji, "down", he looked at me, paws down, butt up, and actually STRETCHED before downing. I just shook my head and said, "that doesn't count". lol. Silly dog.

and yes, got the email. ;)
 
Just a minor clarification here. You don't necessarily need someone at your jump height. It is divided into minis (C12/C16 or P8/P12) and open (C22/C26 and P16/P22). You typically run pairs with someone in your height division (minis or open). So as a 16" peformance dog you could pair with a 22" performance dog.

FWIW, I never go into pairs with a set partner. I always leave it open as a draw and have never not gotten to run. If there are an odd number of dogs then someone else will just run twice and the extra one doesn't count for them.

There is also a case where if there is only one mini performance dog they will actually allow them to run with an open dog. So I have seen cases where a 12" dog has run pairs with a 26 incher! :lol:

Very interesting! I'll have to watch some of Ashley's pairs vids to see how it's run anyways. ;) I think, if I choose to do Sat (my friend will only do Sun), I may just do the pairs thing with anyone and hope it goes well. Thanks for letting me know about the diff heights. Too bad my friend will probably be in Champs though. Oh well. Time to make more friends, right?
 
Rules Questions

For weave poles, do you need to start over from the beginning, or start over where a dog may have popped out? I realized that the short set of rules I'm reading so far doesn't say anything.

It says...for the table:
Masters and Advanced – Cumulative count; Starters (and Novice) – Consecutive count
I'm taking that as.....Koji gets into a down, count starts, 1, 2, he gets up, I get him back down, they'd continue as 3, 4, 5? Is that right? I could really use that, lol.

Thanks anyone.
 
Back
Top