Vegas comes home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, little Newton is showing progress in lots of little ways (and some big ones) every day. He was quite happy to jump up beside Aaron and Vanna today. No trembling, no head hanging...he just decided that they were OK folks and perched on the couch with them.

I'm also just totally pleased with the fact that he is eating DURING THE DAY and eating a wider variety of foods now. Here are two little videos of his nutritional advancements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tttmwGYHn5Y

And the first time Newton would eat during the day...and its kibble! :biggrin2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3thyOpwV7ko

You and Alan are just about the most lovely people that I've ever had the pleasure of "meeting"!

I can so identify with these two videos....the pups with no feeding issues, scrambling at the door, while the pups with feeding issues painstakingly taking one kibble at a time - and trying to keep the rest at bay!

That was Bacca and Indy until about two weeks ago. Since then, I've discovered Merrick's Thanksgiving Day Dinner. I 1tbsp mixed into the kibble and Bacca now eats. And yes, I've got Indy scrambling in his crate the whole time!
 
Newton is unfolding like a little butterfly coming ut of his cocoon. Janet, you guys have really racked some St. Francis points with this one!
 
Every day he's a bit more outgoing and invested in living.

Now he's begging for food! :biggrin2:

He also has a funny little trick. Every night I put him in his crate with a bowl of food and a toy. The past three mornings he's put the toy IN the food bowl. LOL....whether the bowl is empty or not. Guess he's covering the carcass for the next meal!

Here's Newton playing kissy face with Alan

http://usera.ImageCave.com/granite/granites_pets/2009-10-10 AlanNewton.jpg

Oh yes, and he's up to 9.0 lbs now!
 
Last edited:
It is such a heartwarming story! I have told complete strangers the story of Newton, lol! Thank God he found such a wonderful, caring home!
 
Love the picture. He's really coming along. How is his coat looking? Does it still look like burnt fur?

I've been told to expect it to take 4 to 6 months for his coat to recover. I rub a bit of lotion into the driest areas nearly every day to help condition it. I can see places where his coat was cut...probably to remove terrible mats from when he lived in a cage for so long. For a little guy he has a very long tail and I think his coat is going to be beautiful once he is filled out.

He is still very timid...crouches down when things get noisy. But - he doesn't tremble anymore. He tends to be my little shadow, sitting at my feet or in my lap where ever I go in the house.
 
I am so glad to read that Newton is settling in well. Don't you just love when they put their little nose up under your hand to be petted? And it would be especially wonderful to have Newton do that after all he has been through.

Thank you again for all you do with your pups.
 
Thats is just wonderful,that he is doing so well Janet.Both of you have done miracles for him.He is a sweet pup for sure.
 
Newton had a bit of an outing today; he rode along with us to church for the brass rehearsal for Sunday's anthem. Newton sat under the first pew and just listened and watched the piano, drums, trumpet, and trombone rehearsing. Afterwards we walked along Main street and he didn't mind that cars went past at all. He was more concerned and skittish when I stepped on a manhole cover and it made a metallic "clink." That had him crouching a bit...but only for a bit. Here's a little video taken just about an hour or so ago, of Sasha and Newton "helping" get Alan settled in for a nap. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69xXhMQ_1Q0
 
Newton is looking great! He is a handsome pup for sure!

Is it only Shelties that play like this? Or do all breeds do the nip and retreat routine! I thought I was watching Indy and Bacca play, looking at your two! Although Bacca's form of retreat is to turn Indy on his back and sit on him!

And then when their done their rough housing, they'll both lick each other's faces, like cats! Meow!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top