Vegas comes home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so happy that he's starting to settle. My heart went out to that boy!

I'm also amazed at the patience of Anghus and Emma (?) sitting nice with a tempting bowl of kibble being fed to ANOTHER pup - especially the "intruder"! Well done on socializing them all! You and Alan are great Sheltie parents!
 
In the video it is Newton, Angus, and Sasha getting hand fed. Emma is a good bit more aggressive about her food than these guys.

At today's vet visit Newton's weight is up to 8.8 lbs, up from 8.3 lbs on 9/15/09. Our vet gave Newton a full checkup and drew blood to send out for the specialized lab tests. He said that Newton's teeth, weight, and fur all show the effects of malnutrition but that otherwise Newton's heart, lungs, hips, eyes, etc were all wonderful. We'll get the results of the blood work in a few days. The vet pretty much just told us to brush his teeth and keep up the good work on coaxing him to eat. If we can continue to get a 1/2 lb weight gain every 9 days it won't take us too long to get him to a reasonable weight. Right now his little bones are so prominent its scary to hold him. Of course, he just snuggles in and jumps couch to couch as if he's indestructible.
 
Glad everything went well with the vet. Since Newton has finally discovered his appetite if he keeps it up he should gain weight very quickly. Looks like he's on the road to recovery.
 
He is such a cutie. You are doing such a good job getting him up to weight.

Nice bright bandana. I'll bet he feels like a million bucks and looks it too!
 
The bandannas are a present from Michele :smile2:
I cut them in half (or in 1/4ths for Newton and Bentley) and serged the edges to make them sheltie-sized.
 
It's funny, but in the videos, he doesn't seem so small. But this pic, he certainly looked under-sized.

If he's still having trouble eating, I highly recommend Merrick's Thanksgiving Dinner canned food. My finicky eater, Bacca, has been scarfing his meals ever since I started adding 1 tbsp to his kibble. It's a small amount but enough to get his appetite. Where he used to need to be coaxed to eat, now he's bumping my leg waiting to be fed early!
 
I agree he looks much tinier in the picture than in the videos. Maybe my imagination but his face looks much happier now than when you first got him. Looking forward to the day when we can see a definite sheltie smile.
 
Well if that is just not the best picture! I figured the bandana would be big for Newton,but he rally looks great,and looks like he is quite proud of his new duds!

I forgot to tell you the bigger dog bones are homemade,no preservatives.They need to be in the fridge.They are banana biscotti.

Thank you for sharing the photos!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top