Westminster Dog Show?

Westminster

I have been twice and had so much fun. My girlfriend and I use to go up on Tues and watch who won Best In Show.It was a long day but so much fun.I think I still have somewhere pictures of it and Mary Tyler Moore was there as Andrea Mcardle.I just remember lots of shopping.:razz:
 
I've looked and looked and can't seem to find the list of invited dogs anywhere on the web site. :sadsmile:

Link?
 
watch out - annual Westminster exhibitor rant!

Westminster is my all-time least-favorite dog show, because it's so entirely different from any others that we do. Your dog is required to arrive very early, and cannot leave the building until 8pm. In the meanwhile, you're constantly fighting through the jam-packed crowds while trying to go about the work of getting your dog ready and into the ring.

Once I'm in the ring and showing, it's great... but I think that's largely because, for the first time all day, I don't have people crushing in on me from all sides! The two dogs I've shown there (Mark and Annie) both took the whole thing in stride - they're consummate professionals and two of the mellowest Shelties I know. But, as an exhibitor, it's hard for me to get worked up about Westminster.

All that said... for some inexplicable reason, whenever I go into the city on non-dog-related business and walk up to the street from Penn Station (directly under Madison Square Garden), I get all excited for a dog show! It's the darnedest thing.
 
there is a list for those invited on the westminster website, also it does the entry breakdown. There was I think 20 shelties entered when I looked. Just because they are invited though doesnt mean they will be attending and if your not invited but a CH you can enter (but Im not sure if they do it by lottery or just first come first serve or not maybe either MissJennyGirl or Tofu Pup can pop in and answer since they've shown and know the ins and out of it:yes:).

This is from the WKC site:
"INVITATIONS TO PRE-ENTER: As in the past, the Top Five dogs (AKC Champions) in breed standings for the period January 1, 2009 - October 31, 2009 (inclusive) are invited to pre-enter in advance of the regular closing date. The Top 5 invitees will receive via regular First Class postal mail, a Certificate of Eligibility, along with a pre-printed entry form and a return envelope."

I couldn't find a list of the invitees, either.

The way entries work is this: All of the top-five dogs in each breed are invited to enter, before general entries open. Some of them will say yes (and send the entry in), and some won't. After that, the remaining slots (I believe the entry limit is 2500) are given out by lottery. Sometimes your entry gets in, and sometimes it doesn't. All junior showmanship entries are accepted, even if means going over the 2500 dog limit - they don't turn any qualified, entered junior away (and the juniors entry fee is $0).
 
Im sorry my bad...I was thinking WKC site had the invitees...it was infodog http://www.infodog.com/misc/west/breed.htm
Yes I can see what you mean Megan....it is stressful as a handler. as a spectator I kept leaving the bench/grooming area to go up to the stands to get a breather from the crowds! It was funny though after breed judging was done for the day before group started I was in the bench area and it was like a ghost town there!! It was great!:smile2:
 
Anybody know how they are broadcasting the event? I don't have all the television channels that normally carry it. Eg. which channels carry it in Canada?

I seem to recall last year there was blockage to certain events in web streaming. I sure wish they wouldn't do that! I was able to get some webcasts but they never showed the entire show. There were tons of gaps.
 
Not sure in Canada,although here the last few years they've split it an hour on the USA network than the rest on MSNBC (I think thats the channel)...Wish they would keep it all on one so I wouldnt have to switch half way though...kinda stupid if you ask me...I know they do the breed judging on webstreaming..
 
Back
Top