Westminster Dog Show?

And yet the Puli keeps winning the Herding Group!!! Argh!

Someone at the show yesterday also said to me that Shelties as a breed don't get the recognition they deserve. Shelties are the best kept secret. That may not be a bad thing. Every year, the Dog du Jour is bought up in droves sometimes by people who shouldn't have them and haven't reserached the breed, for instance the Dalmation craze after the movie. We only want the right people to have Shelties!
I so agree! One of the worst things that can happen to a breed is to be seen as the perfect accessory or status symbol. Every Sheltie deserves to have a person who has the sense of humor required to withstand owning a dog that often is several steps ahead of you mentally.
 
I so agree! One of the worst things that can happen to a breed is to be seen as the perfect accessory or status symbol. Every Sheltie deserves to have a person who has the sense of humor required to withstand owning a dog that often is several steps ahead of you mentally

That is very true. I just want everyone to know wonderul they are, but I realize they are not for everyone.
 
It seems to me that Blue Merles are all the fashion right now! Don't get me wrong, they were lovely.

I think there is a trend towards the "exotic" these days. And Blues are certainly more exotic looking than the soft sables. Maybe that's why we are seeing Puli's win Best of Herding, etc.

Will be interesting to see who wins Best in Show.
 
My seats last year the Puli owner was sitting in front of me.. She was crying uncontrollably when he won herding last year. I had really good seats I was surrounded by all the group winners...:smile2:
 
Sable, pulik are really cool dogs! Some dear friends of mine have had corded dogs since the 70's. The grooming is actually really simple - they get bathed, cords and all, and then blot-blot-blotted dry (this takes a while!). Then the cords are tied up with scrunchies to keep everything out of the dirt. At the show, there's a little brushing to keep the frizzies down, and maybe a little trim if the cords are starting to drag. That's all!

The cords form naturally as the puppies grow up. You simply stop bushing. As mats form, you pull them apart gently with your fingers to form cords. It takes a while, but once the cords are in, there isn't much work to do.

Most of the herding breeds are nice dogs, I just look at the Puli, or any dog that has all that hair in their eyes, I think eye infection. :lol: Then I look at the Puli's coat, and just think oh my. I don't have time for scrunchies. :lol:

I quess I am so for the shelties, they are beautiful. Thanks for the info, they aren't as hard, I quess, as they look.

Maybe that judge "thought" that Puli winked and smiled at her as the Puli moved.

How many years has it been since a sheltie won, must have been a long time ago, because I can't ever remember? The poodle won, I ain't about to buy a poodle, a whippet, or a puli.
 
Best Westminster Story

So I have to share my favorite Westminster story with everyone. A woman from Canada with her Old English Sheepdog told me the saga of her trip to New York as she was waiting in line to leave the Garden last night. Seems she'd booked space for her Old English on a Delta flight on Sunday, in plenty of time to arrive in NY, but when they got on the plane and put her dog in the hold where the big dogs fly, the captain told her that when he tried to activate the air/heat in the hold it wasn't working and they couldn't take the dog.

She told him that they were going to Westminster to compete. Her dog has won 25 BIS, and this was to be his retirement show. The captain polled the crew and the passengers in the last four rows of the plane, and everyone agreed. She and her dog flew to NY with the dog sitting beside her on the plane. Everyone cheered when they left and wished her luck. She said it was the best part of the trip and it didn't matter that they didn't win the breed; she was still writing a letter to the captain and Delta to say thanks.

It's the stories like these that make Westminster such a cool show. Had to share it. :wink2:
 
So I have to share my favorite Westminster story with everyone. A woman from Canada with her Old English Sheepdog told me the saga of her trip to New York as she was waiting in line to leave the Garden last night. Seems she'd booked space for her Old English on a Delta flight on Sunday, in plenty of time to arrive in NY, but when they got on the plane and put her dog in the hold where the big dogs fly, the captain told her that when he tried to activate the air/heat in the hold it wasn't working and they couldn't take the dog.

She told him that they were going to Westminster to compete. Her dog has won 25 BIS, and this was to be his retirement show. The captain polled the crew and the passengers in the last four rows of the plane, and everyone agreed. She and her dog flew to NY with the dog sitting beside her on the plane. Everyone cheered when they left and wished her luck. She said it was the best part of the trip and it didn't matter that they didn't win the breed; she was still writing a letter to the captain and Delta to say thanks.

It's the stories like these that make Westminster such a cool show. Had to share it. :wink2:

That is a really neat story. Wish I had been on the plane!
 
Such a heartwarming story! I'm so glad that the pilot and crew found a way for her and her dog to get to Westminster. :smile2:
 
Back
Top