Westminster Dog Show?

You're absolutely right, Chris...whether it's Westminster or any other show, the first thing one learns when entering dog shows is to look at the judge and the judge's past picks before placing your entry--and even that doesn't always hold true. I agree too that the best merle of that color won. But really, it wasn't just me (since I'm not an expert either). As a reporter, the thing that struck me was the number of people in the stands who were stunned at the results and omissions. And they WERE experts!
 
I thought the Sheltie last night was pretty but to me just watching it did not seem outstanding as some do that make you go WOW. Now that I see the list and I wonder why they did not choose. Cirque he was to me a wow factor when I watched Eukanuba. But as the rest of you are saying it comes down to the judge.
 
You know, the Shadow Hill dog wasn't my favorite in the ring either.
However, sculpting and correct grooming can and does hide faults/make a dog look better than it is, so it's possible some of the ones we wonder on why they were put up over ones we thought were better may have had a fault or two that the judge could feel underneath all of the coat that we personally couldn't see.
Perhaps, when that is taken into consideration, it really was the best out there?
No telling without personally being able to go over the dog though.
All the same, I *am* happy for Jane at Shadow Hills. She produces some beautiful dogs... not only that, she breeds for dogs who can and do go out there and prove they can do it all.
 
Part of going to big shows like Westminster or the National is to have your dog be seen looking great - so I suspect there were some who entered who weren't quite confident that they would win under this particular judge, but who wanted to make sure their dogs were in attendance.

I thought Annie (our girl, #19, with the very tall male handler) looked lovely, and she certainly had fun. She turned nine in December and is still going strong. We would have loved to have won, but she looked darn good - she just wasn't this judge's cup of tea. Oh well!
 
I thought the Sheltie last night was pretty but to me just watching it did not seem outstanding as some do that make you go WOW. Now that I see the list and I wonder why they did not choose. Cirque he was to me a wow factor when I watched Eukanuba. But as the rest of you are saying it comes down to the judge.

I felt the same way. When I watched Eukanuba, I just couldn't get over how grogeous Cirque was. The sheltie last night was beautiful, but didn't how that wow factor.
 
Without mentioning breeders I quess I will try this way.

JS's sheltie Can't Fight the Moonlight was bred by my breeder of Lil' Lady. JS and my breeder have many champions on the ground, Won the Award of Merit.

I don't know if anyone has seen this sheltie, but she is gorgeous. I know what the sire and the bitch looks like and they are very pretty too.

Since I am not a judge or a breeder, I quess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, or in the judge's eyes, and sometimes I wonder if there is a little bit of politics in there also. JS's sheltie is really striking, just like the coloring on the Wippet that won.

Then what double gribes me is that I do not think the sheltie breed receives the recognition they deserve, along with the setters. OK I AM BIAS. All of us know how intelligent the sheltie is.

Question, how in the world do you groom a Puli? OMG that is one big tangle.

Shelties Rock!!!
 
Question, how in the world do you groom a Puli? OMG that is one big tangle.

Shelties Rock!!!

And yet the Puli keeps winning the Herding Group!!! Argh!

Someone at the show yesterday also said to me that Shelties as a breed don't get the recognition they deserve. Shelties are the best kept secret. That may not be a bad thing. Every year, the Dog du Jour is bought up in droves sometimes by people who shouldn't have them and haven't reserached the breed, for instance the Dalmation craze after the movie. We only want the right people to have Shelties!
 
Sable, pulik are really cool dogs! Some dear friends of mine have had corded dogs since the 70's. The grooming is actually really simple - they get bathed, cords and all, and then blot-blot-blotted dry (this takes a while!). Then the cords are tied up with scrunchies to keep everything out of the dirt. At the show, there's a little brushing to keep the frizzies down, and maybe a little trim if the cords are starting to drag. That's all!

The cords form naturally as the puppies grow up. You simply stop bushing. As mats form, you pull them apart gently with your fingers to form cords. It takes a while, but once the cords are in, there isn't much work to do.
 
Back
Top