What is Considered Shedding Too Much?

OntarioSheltie

Forums Celebrity
This is probably nothing but I thought I'd bring it up.

Toby is a two year old rescue who sheds like no sheltie I've ever seen. He sheds a lot of fur constantly, although he never has any bald spots. He sheds much more than my two female shelties or my parent's male who has a beautiful full coat. In addition to his regular, copious shedding he's blowing his coat now too.

He also tends to be a more anxious dog and I've been struggling to train and socialize him since we adopted him six months ago. I've been feeling very frustrated with his training because progress is slow. Its often one step forward, two steps back with him.

Is it possible that I might be overlooking a thyroid issue or is he just an anxious dog who sheds a lot? I've never had a dog like Toby (personality wise) and have no experience with thyroid issues in dogs.

Toby's weight is good, his coat looks good and he doesn't have skin problems.
 
I have the same issue with Abby, she sheds far more than the other two girls and she is super anxious. If I didn't have a rescue doing the same thing, I would wonder about food or thyroid but I do think it is the anxieties. :rolleyes2:
 
The primary sign Edan showed with his thyroid was fur loss. When you'd pet him, you would always see loose fur. However, unlike Toby, Edan also completely lost his undercoat down his back and half his sides plus his tail looked stringy. He also had scaly, flaky skin. (I should post a few pictures from Thanksgiving vs today and you'd be amazed at the difference.)

While it doesn't sound like Toby's fur loss matches Edan's, if you can afford it it wouldn't hurt to have his thyroid checked just to be on the safe side since it is a common issue with the breed. Thyroid issues are not always obvious.

At least then you'd have peace of mind that the fur loss in more likely due to his anxiety; which you are already working on addressing.
 
The primary sign Edan showed with his thyroid was fur loss. When you'd pet him, you would always see loose fur. However, unlike Toby, Edan also completely lost his undercoat down his back and half his sides plus his tail looked stringy. He also had scaly, flaky skin. (I should post a few pictures from Thanksgiving vs today and you'd be amazed at the difference.)

While it doesn't sound like Toby's fur loss matches Edan's, if you can afford it it wouldn't hurt to have his thyroid checked just to be on the safe side since it is a common issue with the breed. Thyroid issues are not always obvious.

At least then you'd have peace of mind that the fur loss in more likely due to his anxiety; which you are already working on addressing.

Yeah, I was thinking that it wouldn't hurt to have it checked, not sure if we can afford it right now though.

Toby's fur loss is even all over his body and it seems to be mostly undercoat. He also continues to have a beautiful tail and no skin problems of any kind that I can see.

I have the same issue with Abby, she sheds far more than the other two girls and she is super anxious. If I didn't have a rescue doing the same thing, I would wonder about food or thyroid but I do think it is the anxieties. :rolleyes2:

I tend do think there's nothing wrong with him and that he's just anxious, but I'd feel terrible if there really was something wrong with him that I missed.

I'm probably just over analyzing things again. :o
 
I read this thread because I am seeing the same issues. I have a very anxious baby, and am currently alone because his daddy got deployed... Poor thing has been through a lot. While it IS warm here in Hawaii, I brushed him and huge chunks of undercoat comes out with ease, leaving his skin visible at certain areas (no irritation, and soft nice fur and skin...) While it could be dry from swimming in the ocean, I also have to leave him for several hours at a time in his play area while I work- So I am hoping it is just anxiety as well? What is the best way to treat this (anxiety)? and did you end up getting his thyroid checked?
 
It's hard to quantify how much is too much.

My dogs don't shed much, but they DO hold it in their coats. I have to strip it out else they look like constantly rumpled.

But if your dogs are shedding alot outside of the main shedding seasons, then its worth taking a look at. (i.e. if you stroke your dog and have to shake fur off your hand in July, then, its worth a trip to the vet).

Anxiety or thyroid, or any number of issues could cause it. Or it could be just that they shed 12 months per year. Some dogs do.
 
It's hard to quantify how much is too much.

My dogs don't shed much, but they DO hold it in their coats. I have to strip it out else they look like constantly rumpled.

But if your dogs are shedding alot outside of the main shedding seasons, then its worth taking a look at. (i.e. if you stroke your dog and have to shake fur off your hand in July, then, its worth a trip to the vet).

Anxiety or thyroid, or any number of issues could cause it. Or it could be just that they shed 12 months per year. Some dogs do.

I'm not sure of that timing, Barb. Remember the time Layla blew her coat in August..in the car...on a four-hour road trip? Can you say "snowglobe"? :eek2:
 
I'm not sure of that timing, Barb. Remember the time Layla blew her coat in August..in the car...on a four-hour road trip? Can you say "snowglobe"? :eek2:

I remember the post! Could have been stress though that caused her to blow?
 
But if your dogs are shedding alot outside of the main shedding seasons, then its worth taking a look at. (i.e. if you stroke your dog and have to shake fur off your hand in July, then, its worth a trip to the vet).

My dogs are shedding a lot right now...I'm not sure why. I've been a little lax about their brushing, but it seems like brushing just loosens more fur:confused2:

I'm wondering if it's the change in climate (South Carolina 95 degrees ---> Ohio 75 degrees ---> Ohio 85 degrees)?
 
Back
Top