What is Considered Shedding Too Much?

.
But if your dogs are shedding alot outside of the main shedding seasons, then its worth taking a look at. (i.e. if you stroke your dog and have to shake fur off your hand in July, then, its worth a trip to the vet).
.

Oh c**p I better look at all my dogs because all of them are blowing coat right now. :wink2:

I just brushed Justice's entire undercoat out last week and half of Ember's . Jamie was blowing coat during his last show in mid June and is almost done now but still losing mane and OMG Porter I gave him a bath on Mon for his new family and he is blowing his puppy coat too. I was blowing him out and snowglobe is a good word for how the grooming room looked. :lol: Only Diva is not massively blowing coat(yet) but she is just starting to lose some coat. She is behind because she was naked from puppies until early April.

I think it was because we missed spring here in Mn. It was so cold so late(until June) and suddenly it was summer and hot and humid. Their bodies are confused.
 
My dogs are shedding a lot right now...I'm not sure why. I've been a little lax about their brushing, but it seems like brushing just loosens more fur:confused2:

I'm wondering if it's the change in climate (South Carolina 95 degrees ---> Ohio 75 degrees ---> Ohio 85 degrees)?

Bailey is still shedding right now. She's been blowing her coat since May. I had her thyroid checked in April, so I know it's not a health issue.
 
My dogs started to catastrophically lose coat two weeks ago. They are mostly done, but it's really bad right now. The hair is literally falling out, even the Smooth Collie.
 
In these parts the expression is 'June is shedding month.'
They lose the summer coat in January, the winter coat in June. And the latter is, of course, much heavier.

As stated before, our answer to the question 'Is he shedding excessively?' is 'Don't look at the floor, look at the dog.' That is what distinguishes a hair loss problem from simply a heavy shed.
- Dr. Mac
 
It occurs to me, re-reading the post that the weather patterns have been really wonky this year. Cold and wet spring, then hot weather, then more coolness and rain, etc.

It could be that it has disrupted the normal shedding schedule for some pups. I've not seen it myself, except that my pups both have exceptionally large butts at the moment, and both desperately need a raking. Thankfully, neither one of them really sheds....it just stays in their coats....but they sure look ragged!
 
Chloe just started shedding a lot. It is probably because she got a bath last week, and since then has been in the ocean, bay, lake and swimming pool. I really need to do a good line brushing and get all the loose hair out, so that it stops getting all over everything.
 
Update

Maybe it was because this summer was so hot, but all of my shelties were shedding like crazy.

However, Toby's insane shedding did decrease when we were finally able to decrease his anxiety levels. He was still shedding, but in the same approx. proportion as my other two shelties. Now when I vacuum its a mix of all of their fur I'm seeing, not mainly Toby's.
 
Yep, this is the worst that I have ever seen Toffee blow his coat as well...
Rather spectacular, really... lol
He's now just turned three as well, so maybe this is what I can look forward to every year now... :eek2:
 
Back
Top